Who do you take - McDavid at 12.5M$ for 7 years, or Elias Pettersson at 3M$ for 7 years?

Who would you prefer to sign - McDavid at 12.5M$ AAV for 7 years, or EP at 3M$ AAV for 7 years?

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
If we look at it that the Canucks already have Pettersson and so the Pettersson choice here is some clone or whatever (so it's the same as other teams), I'd take McDavid, shoot Myers into the sun, and try to fix the defense by trading some of the forwards. Pettersson's great, and if he becomes the player he can be, he might be the answer, but the gulf between them is huge right now, and unless your team is loaded with talent, it's unlikely you're going to use the cap difference to make up for the value they bring.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
If we look at it that the Canucks already have Pettersson and so the Pettersson choice here is some clone or whatever (so it's the same as other teams), I'd take McDavid, shoot Myers into the sun, and try to fix the defense by trading some of the forwards. Pettersson's great, and if he becomes the
And look at what Benning has done with that cap space lol

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
McDavid is the best player in the world but with the 9.5M in savings you could add any of OV, Marchand, Malkin, Crosby, MacK, Drai, Bergeron, Pastrnak, Kucherov, Hedman, Makar, etc and in some cases still not reach 12.5M. For example, I'd rather have Crosby+EP or Hedman+EP than just McDavid.

Reactions: Gurglesons

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Makar was just an example and I wasn't necessarily considering this from the Caps POV, just in general. We have no assets that would allow us to land Makar lol.

I know - but that's kind of the point.
9M$ in cap space is nice and all - but what does it get you in 2021? Well if you're NJ and you beat out all other team suitors (which Caps may or may not have done) - it can land you Hamilton at 9M$ AAV. Worth it? To me he's overpaid, but he is good. Good chance NJ still lands him above you though and is a moot point.

What else does 9M$ get you in 2021? Hyman at 5.5M$? Danault at 5.5M$? Saad?
Caps just signed RFA Samsonov for 2M$. Maybe you can use extra cap space to pay him 4-5M$ long-term instead?

That's kind of the point with these threads. I'm sure 3M$ for EP and MacKinnon for 6M$ and Lafreniere on ELC is a better way to spend 12.5M$ than just on McDavid - but you can't get those extra players. So you have to work within the confines of what your team could realistically do with that extra 9M$.

Reactions: Yarice

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
Petterson, otherwise how are you going to sign Nikita Nikitin, Mark Fayne, and Andrew Ference on the back end?

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Pettersson was better in his only playoff showing than McDavid has been in any of his trips to the postseason. One player can't do it all and if I can get a number one center at 3 million and combine him with a 9.5 million dollar player, that's just going to give my team a better chance to win.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
As a blank team, Mcdavid
As a Leafs fan, pettersson AINEC
We get an upgrade on the big 4 to the Fab 5:thumbu:. Hopefully it gets us past the first round

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I’d take Pettersson at that number over McDavid’s number with the same term. But 7 years as opposed to 3 decides it.

The poll is comparing both players on a 7 year term I believe. McDavid making 12.5 and Pettersson making 3.

Wondering if people misread the poll because the results are a joke.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
McDavid is the best player in the world but with the 9.5M in savings you could add any of OV, Marchand, Malkin, Crosby, MacK, Drai, Bergeron, Pastrnak, Kucherov, Hedman, Makar, etc and in some cases still not reach 12.5M. For example, I'd rather have Crosby+EP or Hedman+EP than just McDavid.
Most listed are not available and would likely never play for Edmonton. Take McDavid over EP+cap space in Edmonton.

9.5M got Edmonton Hyman+Ceci and not Hedman

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Theoritically, Pettersson at 3M oppose to McDavid at 12.5M will open tons a cap space and allow you to use that extra money to acquire other high-end talents. However, I don't think I would trust majority of the gms to weaponize that 9.5M additional cap space correctly.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I think the mcdavid ainec is is well justified. he can put up 140 points or more in the modern nhl while playing on a crap roster. Imagine for a second if he was on an above average team ? What about an elite team ? My gosh maybe 160 points. He is a generational beast that is literally comes once every 20 years and the best player since Gretzky played.

pettersson is also a very good player but not even on the same level and players his level comes much more often.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
I don’t think the premise is that you can also just randomly add another player such as Hedman or Crosby to your team without giving up any assets.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Had to go with Pettersson, provided he returns to form. 3 million for a #1C is such a steal, and the hard cap is really making it hard to build a great team unless you get everyone to take discounts (Bruins), or have a massive steal of a deal (MacKinnon, Barkov).

McDavid is the best player in the league AINEC, but if you can put that extra 9,5 million for improving your wingers, D, goaltending or let alone your center depth, you have to take it.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think the mcdavid ainec is is well justified. he can put up 140 points or more in the modern nhl while playing on a crap roster. Imagine for a second if he was on an above average team ? What about an elite team ? My gosh maybe 160 points. He is a generational beast that is literally comes once every 20 years and the best player since Gretzky played.

pettersson is also a very good player but not even on the same level and players his level comes much more often.

McDavid's career high is 116 points. 160? Yeah - no.

Best player since Gretzky? Have you heard of Mario Lemieux?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad