Who do you take - McDavid at 12.5M$ for 7 years, or Elias Pettersson at 3M$ for 7 years?

Who would you prefer to sign - McDavid at 12.5M$ AAV for 7 years, or EP at 3M$ AAV for 7 years?

• Total voters

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Through a magic wave of a wand - both McDavid and EP become full fledged UFA's today going into next season. Both reach out to your team - and for whatever reason you're only allowed to sign one of them, not both.

1. McDavid will sign with your team for 7 years at 12.5M$ AAV if you're willing to offer that

2. Pettersson will sign with your team for 7 years at 3M$ AAV if you're willing to offer that

Which player do you pick, and why?

If your team doesn't have the cap space to fit McDavid today - you have the option to make room.

example: If you're Tampa - find a way to trade Stamkos (yes, despite his NMC), even if it means paying a team to take his contract. If you're Toronto, find a way to move Tavares or Marner, even if it means adding a sweetener to take Tavares's contract (and yes, despite his NMC). etc
If Tampa could fit McDavid in that team would be locks for the Stanley Cup, Art Ross, Hart, Lindsay, Vezina, Jennings, and Norris trophies for the next 5 years

Reactions: TopCheese

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
If Tampa could fit McDavid in that team would be locks for the Stanley Cup, Art Ross, Hart, Lindsay, Vezina, Jennings, and Norris trophies for the next 5 years

Thats exactly the point - They cant. They could actually fit Pettersson...

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
How is McDavid winning this? I understand McDavid is the best player in the league and could probably double Pettersson's point output, but were talking about a savings of 9.5 mil. You could build an unreal team with that kind of cap savings.

SouthWest

Apr 16, 2013
Canada
9.5 million is a ton of extra value....

There is no way I take McDavid....

Essentially I get McDavid or Petterson + one of (Kucherov, Stone, Rantanen, Josi, Markar)....

Prorated over the last 3 season, it is 132 points over 82 games for McDavid, and on Petterson + Josi it's 136 but I get to cover two positions.

People here are really underestimating what the additional bodies would get you for ice time.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Johnson

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
9.5 million is a ton of extra value....

There is no way I take McDavid....

Essentially I get McDavid or Petterson + one of (Kucherov, Stone, Rantanen, Josi, Markar)....

Prorated over the last 3 season, it is 132 points over 82 games for McDavid, and on Petterson + Josi it's 136 but I get to cover two positions.

People here are really underestimating what the additional bodies would get you for ice time.
Imagine taking Kucherov with Pettersson, then you're talking about nearly 200 points combined or more potentially while still covering two positions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad