Boston Bruins Who do you send down?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The obvious answer is Beleskey. But it's not that simple, and I don't expect him to be waived at this point. And he's so obvious the title of this post should be "who do you send down (besides Beleskey).

If I had to pick one guy, waivers non-withstanding, I'd probably go with Schaller if were just talking F. If D are included, waiving Postma wouldn't bother me one bit.

But waivers will be considered. At it will likely be a non-waiver player who goes down.

On D, Gryz is the one who would go. I don't like it but it's only him and McAvoy, and Carlo, so it won't be either or McAvoy or Carlo going down.

Up front, unless he starts to produce, don't be surprised if Bjork goes down for a bit. He's been the least productive out of group of 3 (Bjork, Debrusk, and Heinen). I'd keep him personally but if I had to bet who goes down up front if everyone is healthy, right now it's Bjork.

If feel for Sweeney, pretty sure he'd like to make a move to clear out some roster space, pretty clear he needs to. Problem is, they can't get healthy enough. Spooner is off skates today after re-aggravating his groin again, so who knows if/when we will ever see a fully healthy group so Sweeney can see some set lines and pairings and figure out who he can afford to part with for what will likely be a minimal return.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Whom do you send down?

Beleskey should be one, but that's problematical.

Grzelcyk will be the other, unfortunately, when McQuaid returns.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
1. I would waive Beleskey bye bye in a New York minute.
2. The year in Providence appears to have been a vital step in both Heinen's and Debrusk's development. They needed the time there. That is why I would consider sending Bjork down for at least a portion of this season. The jump from college to NHL is huge as he is learning right now. You can't teach speed but he isn't making an impact like Heinen and Debrusk are right now. He could use the seasoning.
3. Whatever happens, I don't waive Vatrano because he will be scooped up immediately and what a waste of a 21 year old asset that would be. If he isn't going to pass Marchand, Heinen, Debrusk, Bjork on the LW depth chart and Schaller has the checking line role, then he should be a fairly valuable trade asset either at the deadline or the offseason.
4. I would waive Postma. He is the no.5 RDman. Grizz and OG should be able to handle the load there. But if Grizz isn't going to play at all, then he should unfortunately get the playing time in Providence. He deserves to stay, he's an NHL player.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Beleskey and Postma, real simple.

They need to send Beleskey down, let him find his game and if he does, call him back up or trade him. If he doesn't buy him out like they will likely do anyways. He's a likeable person, but business is business, and Sweeney needs to be putting the best team both now and for the future. Beleskey in his current state, fits in neither of those categories.

Postma is fodder and serves his purpose.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Tim Schaller 25 GP, 3G, 3A: A fan favorite

12 games without registering a point. An even or minus player in every game (-6). Don't know how they can survive without him to be honest.

I give the guy props for being a good soldier but I'm not sure if could make another NHL roster other than Boston's the last couple of years. Hope he invested those game checks because he has earned them.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Kuraly goes down just because you can assign him to Providence without having to waive him.

I'd then trade Schaller or Nash to whoever wants them for a 4th or 5th round pick, or whatever you can get. They're expiring contracts and not completely awful, they also can play multiple roles including PK. You can get something out of them. Beleskey will have to ride on as the healthy scratch because trying to shove him in the minors or waiving him will still count against the cap.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Tim Schaller 25 GP, 3G, 3A: A fan favorite

12 games without registering a point. An even or minus player in every game (-6). Don't know how they can survive without him to be honest.
When the Sabres don't qualify him as an RFA and the Bruins then bring him in and ink him into the line-up .... it seriously makes me question this great "depth" that we continually talk about having built up.

Reactions: Fenian24 and Estlin

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Bjork seams the obvious choice to me... talented kids need to play and we got too many top 9 wingers to get him the necessary icetime to find his form once debrusk comes back

on defense... I hope its postma. probably a decent guy, but has done absolutely nothing to indicate to me we need him on the nhl roster and unlike belesky he doesn't have history and past paid dues here that might give him a second chance

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
When the Sabres don't qualify him as an RFA and the Bruins then bring him in and ink him into the line-up .... it seriously makes me question this great "depth" that we continually talk about having built up.

quality character role player 4th line checkers have never looked good on suck teams as far back as I can remember. schaller doesn't have the talent to get it done everynight but he has often been singled out as one of our top players in games ive watched. that's all you can really ask of any 4th liner on a minimum cap hit

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I don't know what some of you were expecting from Schaller. He's a 4th line JAG who's been thrust into a more increased role simply because he's one of the few healthy forwards we have with NHL experience. Solid PK guy, plays hard. Nobody will shed a tear if he's not back next year but i don't get the hate for him on here.

Reactions: zaYG and BMC

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I would send Beleskey down but I don’t think that will happen. I believe Kuraly goes down. Then Cehlarik goes down when he is healthy. Gryz goes down for the D-man although I would send down Postma and “risk” losing him on waivers. I think guys with options lose out cause they have them and to me that’s the wrong decision. If that happens. We certainly couldn’t rip apart someone for something they haven’t done yet around here could we o_O

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
quality character role player 4th line checkers have never looked good on suck teams as far back as I can remember. schaller doesn't have the talent to get it done everynight but he has often been singled out as one of our top players in games ive watched. that's all you can really ask of any 4th liner on a minimum cap hit

You should write a book, seriously, with all your theories on the sport of hockey.

It would be found in the comedy section.

Reactions: Dom - OHL

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't know what some of you were expecting from Schaller. He's a 4th line JAG who's been thrust into a more increased role simply because he's one of the few healthy forwards we have with NHL experience. Solid PK guy, plays hard. Nobody will shed a tear if he's not back next year but i don't get the hate for him on here.

Well the thread is "who would you send down" and the prevailing opinion seems to be Schaller should be the one to go. It's not hate, it's answering the friggin' question.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

agreed, for me, it`s as perplexing as the love and patience many have for Vatrano. My first choice to be sent down is Beleskey, hands down, 2nd is Vatrano, if they lose him, they lose him

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Bjork and Grezlyk. Ideally some of the dead weight like Spooner, Postma and Schaller get moved hopefully upgrade the bottom 6

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Postma and Acciari for me.

Gryz deserves to stay on this team...he's outplayed Postma and gives us another LD that we lack.

Love Acciari and what he brings, but with a healthy lineup....Nash can do his job as he gets bumped down a line.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I don't see how they don't send Belesky down.

He's simply not playing well enough to be in the lineup. If they are going to try and move him I can't imagine that there are many, if any takers at this point.

The first step in moving on from Belesky any way I look at it seems to start with putting him on waivers. In a best case scenario the Bruins send him down and play him everyday. Maybe he does well enough to be a useful black ace at playoff time assuming the Bruins make the playoffs.

In a worst case scenario he can't play up to AHL standards and he remains a problem. Maybe at that point they pay another team to take him or they buy him out but it all starts with putting him through waivers.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

Honestly... nothing. I didn't even know why they qualified him. I don't think anyone is wanting or expecting more. We know who he is. To be fair, he was pretty good at the beginning of the season. Brought a lot of energy/hustle and was getting rewarded for it. I don't even believe he's particularly good defensively or that his PK ability is desperately needed. I would rather that torch get passed to Heinen now. He's ready. When bodies start coming back, minutes will be sparse.

Reactions: frickinbobby

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

For him not to be on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad