Boston Bruins Who do you send down?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The obvious answer is Beleskey. But it's not that simple, and I don't expect him to be waived at this point. And he's so obvious the title of this post should be "who do you send down (besides Beleskey).

If I had to pick one guy, waivers non-withstanding, I'd probably go with Schaller if were just talking F. If D are included, waiving Postma wouldn't bother me one bit.

But waivers will be considered. At it will likely be a non-waiver player who goes down.

On D, Gryz is the one who would go. I don't like it but it's only him and McAvoy, and Carlo, so it won't be either or McAvoy or Carlo going down.

Up front, unless he starts to produce, don't be surprised if Bjork goes down for a bit. He's been the least productive out of group of 3 (Bjork, Debrusk, and Heinen). I'd keep him personally but if I had to bet who goes down up front if everyone is healthy, right now it's Bjork.

If feel for Sweeney, pretty sure he'd like to make a move to clear out some roster space, pretty clear he needs to. Problem is, they can't get healthy enough. Spooner is off skates today after re-aggravating his groin again, so who knows if/when we will ever see a fully healthy group so Sweeney can see some set lines and pairings and figure out who he can afford to part with for what will likely be a minimal return.

I think Bjork would benefit greatly from playing 16-18 minutes a game in all situations for a month or so. Not down on him at all, just feel that he could use some seasoning.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I don't know what some of you were expecting from Schaller. He's a 4th line JAG who's been thrust into a more increased role simply because he's one of the few healthy forwards we have with NHL experience. Solid PK guy, plays hard. Nobody will shed a tear if he's not back next year but i don't get the hate for him on here.

Not hate from me, just would like to see a new body there. He's no longer needed to move up and down the lineup with the depth we now have and we know what he is. A 12th forward. We also have plenty of PK guys. I'd rather see Blidh get the next 20 games there in his spot.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Postma and Acciari for me.

Gryz deserves to stay on this team...he's outplayed Postma and gives us another LD that we lack.

Love Acciari and what he brings, but with a healthy lineup....Nash can do his job as he gets bumped down a line.

Agreed.

Lets not have to go back to the 2 right-handed pairing.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think Bjork would benefit greatly from playing 16-18 minutes a game in all situations for a month or so. Not down on him at all, just feel that he could use some seasoning.

I don't have a problem sending him down either. He's been largely ineffective his last 9 games, a bit of time down there to get his timing and confidence back up could be a good thing.

Reactions: sarge88

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't agree. Keep him with the team. Bruins are a better team with him in the lineup.

Bjork isn't my 1st choice, or 2nd choice, or even 3rd choice, to go down.

Just saying some time in the AHL could be of benefit to him. He's not doing a whole lot to make this team better right now. Any stint down there would likely be fairly brief (say 3-4 weeks).

I'm not seeing that confidence with the puck that he displayed early in the season.

As far as non-waiver options to go down out of the forward group, it's one of Debrusk/Heinen/Bjork/Kuraly.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Postma and Acciari for me.

Gryz deserves to stay on this team...he's outplayed Postma and gives us another LD that we lack.

Love Acciari and what he brings, but with a healthy lineup....Nash can do his job as he gets bumped down a line.

Not a fan of Grzlk but he has outplayed Postma, I'm not sure if Postma clears and I don't want grlk being scratched, he needs ice time to improve and my six D when healthy don't include him.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

Just saying some time in the AHL could be of benefit to him. He's not doing a whole lot to make this team better right now. Any stint down there would likely be fairly brief (say 3-4 weeks).

I'm not seeing that confidence with the puck that he displayed early in the season.

As far as non-waiver options to go down out of the forward group, it's one of Debrusk/Heinen/Bjork/Kuraly.

It has to be Beleskey. Put him on waivers. When he passes, I think you can still keep him with the team but he doesn't count on the 23 players roster.

In the end, it changes nothing for Beleskey. He won't play either way (on the 23 players roster or not). No need to send a non-waiver option down when you have that Beleskey option.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

I'd agree with you that he might benefit from going down, but if they feel like he could get similar benefit from a night in the press box every once in a while but a steady number of NHL games, that's enough for me to stick with Beleskey as my top choice. In other words....don't LOOK for options that allow you to keep Beleskey here. Beleskey stinks. Move on from him now. If it also benefits Bjork to go down, send him down too then.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It has to be Beleskey. Put him on waivers. When he passes, I think you can still keep him with the team but he doesn't count on the 23 players roster.

In the end, it changes nothing for Beleskey. He won't play either way (on the 23 players roster or not). No need to send a non-waiver option down when you have that Beleskey option.

I don't think you can send Beleskey outright, there has to be a reason you have to assign a player over 10/5 rights, unless it's a rehabilitation assignment

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think you can send Beleskey outright, there has to be a reason you have to assign a player over 10/5 rights, unless it's a rehabilitation assignment

There is nothing in the CBA stopping the Bruins from placing Beleskey on waivers for the purposes of an assignment and assigning him to Providence if he clears.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'd agree with you that he might benefit from going down, but if they feel like he could get similar benefit from a night in the press box every once in a while but a steady number of NHL games, that's enough for me to stick with Beleskey as my top choice. In other words....don't LOOK for options that allow you to keep Beleskey here. Beleskey stinks. Move on from him now. If it also benefits Bjork to go down, send him down too then.

Beleskey should be everyone's 1st choice.

The title of this thread should be "Who do you send down (besides Beleskey)?"

Reactions: WJCJ and Dr Hook

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
Isn't it nice to have a thread like this?

Last year you could have had a litany of players shuffling around and I doubt it would have much mattered.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Its f***ing hilarious how much the people hating on our 4th liners don't realize their love for Julien and his overuse of the 4th line.

We finally stop doing it and no longer play them too much and people start shitting on a 4th liner who is on pace to finish with 20 points or so.

I'd bet 20 bucks with one of the haters Schaller finishes the year with more points than Backes.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Its ****ing hilarious how much the people hating on our 4th liners don't realize their love for Julien and his overuse of the 4th line.

We finally stop doing it and no longer play them too much and people start ****ting on a 4th liner who is on pace to finish with 20 points or so.

I'd bet 20 bucks with one of the haters Schaller finishes the year with more points than Backes.

Julien's 4th lines stunk from October 2014 onward.

Schaller has 2 points in his last 17 games.

And they haven't stopped doing anything. The current 4th line plays just as much as Julien's did.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Why single out Schaller? That whole line has been a bit "meh" for a while now. Kuraly has nearly identical numbers in the same span. Acciari has 1 assist and has been -7 in his last 12 games since returning.

Seems like there might be a bit of bias against Schaller.

Since this is a waiver discussion - based on Kuraly being waiver exempt, I send him down ahead of Schaller.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I have been saying Bjork since Pasta got rightfully back on the top line. Would do the kid a world of difference playing big minutes in all situations in Providence.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Well the thread is "who would you send down" and the prevailing opinion seems to be Schaller should be the one to go. It's not hate, it's answering the friggin' question.

it might even happen if fans made the decesions... but professional coaches and gms and their qualified decision makers actually make the decesions so it wont happen. once again I will not be surprised by the outcome of this but some of you might be?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
it might even happen if fans made the decesions... but professional coaches and gms and their qualified decision makers actually make the decesions so it wont happen. once again I will not be surprised by the outcome of this but some of you might be?

Who do you think it will be?

My money is on Bjork.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Who do you think it will be?

My money is on Bjork.

we are going to agree on that... although my stronger suspicion is that someone will get hurt just based on our bad luck we are having... maybe no one will get sent down? but if healthy I see the most likely 14 forwards to be

heinen/Bergeron/marchand
pastrnak/krejci/spooner
backes/kuraly/debrusk
accari/nash/schaller
vatrano/belesky

I admittedly do struggle with line combos because I remember the old days when lines stayed together for several years... these days it seams they change from period to period... but these are the 14 guys I expect to be with the team if we get fully healthy

when Bjork gets his mojo back I think spooner better have his act together or I see the spooner experiment coming to an end after Christmas and Bjork getting his spot {with cehlerik as the wildcard if he can pass Bjork on the list}

but overall... if I'm right by what ive seen of the bruin braintrust... they aren't looking to bench the vets for demote them. I think this bruin braintrust like most before them want a lineup that is heavy with safe dependable defensive responsible vets

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
we are going to agree on that... although my stronger suspicion is that someone will get hurt just based on our bad luck we are having... maybe no one will get sent down? but if healthy I see the most likely 14 forwards to be

heinen/Bergeron/marchand
pastrnak/krejci/spooner
backes/kuraly/debrusk
accari/nash/schaller
vatrano/belesky

I admittedly do struggle with line combos because I remember the old days when lines stayed together for several years... these days it seams they change from period to period... but these are the 14 guys I expect to be with the team if we get fully healthy

when Bjork gets his mojo back I think spooner better have his act together or I see the spooner experiment coming to an end after Christmas and Bjork getting his spot {with cehlerik as the wildcard if he can pass Bjork on the list}

but overall... if I'm right by what ive seen of the bruin braintrust... they aren't looking to bench the vets for demote them. I think this bruin braintrust like most before them want a lineup that is heavy with safe dependable defensive responsible vets

Well Bjork hasn't produced or played well. If he had put up 7 points in his last 9 games the way he did in his first 9, I don't think he's at risk, but he hasn't, so I think with waivers considered it's a possibility.

Heinen is playing well. When he was last seen so was Debrusk.

If Bjork was first 9 games Bjork instead of the last 9 games Bjork, I think they keep and dress all 3.

Sweeney purged 4th line vets once before, deadline day 2016 he waived and demoted Kemppainen, Talbot, and Rinaldo all in one fell swoop, so I don't think he's adverse to waiving vets if he has better options. It's up to Bjork to show he is a better option to stay in the line-up.

But looks like Spooner is back to the IR, and Debrusk will return tonight, so your suspicion that someone else will get hurt is spot on apparently.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Well Bjork hasn't produced or played well. If he had put up 7 points in his last 9 games the way he did in his first 9, I don't think he's at risk, but he hasn't, so I think with waivers considered it's a possibility.

Heinen is playing well. When he was last seen so was Debrusk.

If Bjork was first 9 games Bjork instead of the last 9 games Bjork, I think they keep and dress all 3.

Sweeney purged 4th line vets once before, deadline day 2016 he waived and demoted Kemppainen, Talbot, and Rinaldo all in one fell swoop, so I don't think he's adverse to waiving vets if he has better options. It's up to Bjork to show he is a better option to stay in the line-up.

But looks like Spooner is back to the IR, and Debrusk will return tonight, so your suspicion that someone else will get hurt is spot on apparently.

I don't remember the circumstances of 2015-2016 in detail so you are probably right that it does represent a time when some useless vets were dispatched... but then again we were trading for liles and stempniak so I'm not sure that these vets were moved to make room for kids... but rather to just make room for other vets?

I notice chris Kelly only played a dozen games that year... was he out at the end or the begging?

I notice we went out and got landon ferraro and dressed him for 55 games instead of giving khoklachev much of a look

I remember the posters here complaining that Julien wont play the kids... and that we shouldn't be trading picks for rentals. I guess I remember everyone saying we needed to trade loui Eriksson too?

this is a future prospects website... so I don't blame the posters here for having a desire to see the kids. that's an inherient bias. but based on my observation, most teams like to play vets if all things are equal. the kids have to be cream of the crop to get their chance. only a certain number of kids will get a chance at any given time. the vets have to be bottom of the toilet before they are shown the door.

vets get every chance under the sun to stick around
kids have to be lucky not to get the short end of the stick

I will be very shocked if belesky or schaller get sent down {but personally I'm more than ready to send belesky down and if I was saying who I personally want to go... its belesky} smart money says its going to be one of the kids either Bjork or kuraly based on waiver eligibility and who is having the best performance at the time the decision ends up being made. kuraly in my mind has an edge if hes being used at center instead of backes but if backes ends up at center that will change too

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't remember the circumstances of 2015-2016 in detail so you are probably right that it does represent a time when some useless vets were dispatched... but then again we were trading for liles and stempniak so I'm not sure that these vets were moved to make room for kids... but rather to just make room for other vets?

I notice chris Kelly only played a dozen games that year... was he out at the end or the begging?

I notice we went out and got landon ferraro and dressed him for 55 games instead of giving khoklachev much of a look

I remember the posters here complaining that Julien wont play the kids... and that we shouldn't be trading picks for rentals. I guess I remember everyone saying we needed to trade loui Eriksson too?

this is a future prospects website... so I don't blame the posters here for having a desire to see the kids. that's an inherient bias. but based on my observation, most teams like to play vets if all things are equal. the kids have to be cream of the crop to get their chance. only a certain number of kids will get a chance at any given time. the vets have to be bottom of the toilet before they are shown the door.

vets get every chance under the sun to stick around
kids have to be lucky not to get the short end of the stick

I will be very shocked if belesky or schaller get sent down {but personally I'm more than ready to send belesky down and if I was saying who I personally want to go... its belesky} smart money says its going to be one of the kids either Bjork or kuraly based on waiver eligibility and who is having the best performance at the time the decision ends up being made. kuraly in my mind has an edge if hes being used at center instead of backes but if backes ends up at center that will change too

One of the players recalled after the "vet purge" was a rookie Acciari.

Kelly broke his leg early in the season, and was pretty much already gone.

Koko was totally ineffective that year during his recalls, so I don't blame them playing Ferraro over him.

Kuraly I do agree has some edge because he can play Center.

And your right, all things being equal teams prefer vets over young players.

If Bjork is playing well and producing, things aren't equal, and he should stay.

But he isn't so I suspect that's who is going eventually (baring a uptick in his performance between now and then).

Beleskey is most folks No.1 choice to go, but doesn't seem like they are ready to make that move.....yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->