Who do you consider the greatest footballer of all time now ?

Who is the GOAT?

• Pele

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Ronaldo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cruyff

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zidane

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Maradona

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Messi

Votes: 83 78.3%
  • Cristiano Ronaldo

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Another player

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I don’t believe there’s a GOAT

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
We've went so far moving the goalposts one direction that it's hard to keep things consistent now. Maradona never won a European Cup Messi won 4. Messi won Golden Boot so many times I can't remember without looking. Won Golden Shoe more than I can count. So many leagues I can't remember without looking. Gold medal, Copa, u-20 WC and then WC. Best player in two WC's eight years apart. First Ballon d'Or was 13 years ago and he's definitely winning this one too. I'm not sure what the argument is anymore tbh. That it doesn't matter he was the best for 13 years?

I think Pele would be a great player now but I keep thinking about the conditions of the time, the fact that lots of other countries didn't let black players play for them, the fact far less of the players were professional, because of that there were less great players. I don't know how people can say with a straight face that this was a better era of football than now or any of that stuff. To this point Mbappe will definitely be on my top ten list ten years from now unless he starts to completely suck. In this era pretty much everyone is a physical beast, but he's faster than them and has better control than them despite playing at super speed.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
As @Live in the Now said about moving the goal posts. I don’t even know what the argument is… more significant figure? What is that lol

Yeah it's really not even entirely true. Pele yes Maradona no. I think maybe some people don't understand the impact of Messi and Ronaldo. Even though Ronaldo wasn't better, the Messi vs. Ronaldo thing was a completely massive cultural impact. For a lot of people it grew to define the entire sport at club level. The matches are also watched more now than ever before, in more countries than ever before. Maybe to some of you, you think the sport was better when only Europe and South America cared. Weird opinion but I know a lot of people here have said things like that. That does not match up with actual reality whatsoever. EPL and Spain making huge progressive changes in terms of marketing to countries not their own, the CL exploding in the same way, Messi vs. Ronaldo created a situation where hundreds of millions if not billions of people have watched some of these teams play hundreds of times.

Maybe sometimes people don't see the big picture here, but I guarantee you 20 years from now more of us will see the big picture and be talking about this era like it was THE time. We got to see the two best players play each other all the time. There was no theoretical about 'I wish we got to see this', it wasn't a Pele vs. Maradona thing, we got to see it. Almost everyone picked a side. In the long run everyone will see what I mean.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
He'd have to reinvent himself the same way Ronaldo did without the legs. Doubtful.

He is not as tall as Ronaldo, so Mbappe probable can't be the more static purely goalscoring CF type of player (like Ronaldo was) when he looses speed in his 30's.

Maybe he could do well in more withdrawn role as a support forward, who concentrates more on passing and creating chances for others. Scoring from free kicks too. Or maybe the like of surprising role Greazmann played during this WC.

But France should have better forward(s) to play as the main striker and on the wings by the time Mbappe is in his late 20s/30s.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Icon status shouldn’t be equated with ability. Pele and Maradona were more significant historical figures. Messi is the better player.
I don't think Maradona is more historical figure than Messi. Pele maybe but Messi is the biggest name in club soccer history.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
He'd have to reinvent himself the same way Ronaldo did without the legs. Doubtful.
I don't think it's impossible that Mbappe adjusts his game at 30+, maybe not like Ronaldo, but perhaps more like Benzema.

People seem to think once his acceleration and pace is not what it is at 23, he'll just fall off a cliff.
Lots of players have been and are stupidly quick and fast. Mbappe also happens to be ridiculously talented.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He's absurdly talented. When he was younger he dominated thanks to his technique and IQ rather than sheer power. He added the power.
But he's not as pure a goal scorer as 2002 Ronaldo.
He certainly won't fall of a cliff. He'll be among the best players if not the best.
But I can't see his goalscoring numbers stay at this insane rate for 10+ years.
His assists could still be up there though since he's an underrated passer.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
With that said, it's not a bad thing to be on pace to be among the top 10/5 players ever. :)
You can see how much of an impact Mbappe has when you have pro players making "minute of silence for his death" after he scores 3 goals on you in a WC final, the Mbappe doll for the celebrations, the burning of his image in Argentina, the millions of racist remarks on social media but also on live TV. Argentina is obsessed with him even though they should just celebrate.
They're not celebrating the WC, they're also celebrating beating the best player in the world.
And Messi not reacting to his buddies acting like that is a bad point for him. As captain and leader but also teammate of Mbappe, this is a major screw up IMO.
People here are not mad at him winning the WC, but some people are really mad at him for not telling Martinez to f*** himself and stop being obsessed with Mbappe.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
And Messi not reacting to his buddies acting like that is a bad point for him. As captain and leader but also teammate of Mbappe, this is a major screw up IMO.
People here are not mad at him winning the WC, but some people are really mad at him for not telling Martinez to f*** himself and stop being obsessed with Mbappe.
Yeah I don't know what's up with that. They didn't even have a beef with the French like they did with the Dutch.
But, no offense to PSG, they are decidedly second on Messi's "ARG v PSG" ladder.
Whether that contaminates the PSG dressing room, no idea. But yeah, Mbappe mocking is definitely dumb.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No doubt, but I don't think it's a matter of ladder here. He's not going to be flamed for asking this to stop.
It would just be normal to defend a teammate by saying they can celebrate without insulting one of his teammate.
Frankly, I have zero doubt that even dumbass Griezmann wouldn't take a Messi doll or people would burn Messi's image or stuff like that if Kolo Muani had buried his shot. It's quite unreal to see it.

Joey Banana

Mar 9, 2012
Why would Messi say anything? Argentina's NT has always played and acted like this, it's business as usual.

It's actually another one of his really underrated amazing qualities, being an argentine footballer and seeming like a humble, respectful person at the same time.

It's like if a german or english star player could pull off brazilian dance moves when celebrating goals. Truly generational.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Messi is a superior player to Ronaldo and seems to be a better person off the pitch by a massive amount.

But even Ronaldo turned down this Saudi $$$.

Messi is more greedy and deserves the same scrutiny every other sell out footballer gets.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Messi is a superior player to Ronaldo and seems to be a better person off the pitch by a massive amount

He is equally as greedy and deserves the same scrutiny every other sell out footballer gets.
Is that same? I have yet to see you post a stupid video about just about every player that walks around in a Qatari kit or emirates. picking and choosing says a lot.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Is that same? I have yet to see you post a stupid video about just about every player that walks around in a Qatari kit or emirates. picking and choosing says a lot.

How am I picking and choosing? I commented on every sell out like Neville and Beckham and everyone else taking blood money.

I've seen you criticize people for it, but not Messi. Who is picking and choosing?

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Messi has the most likes of a social media post, ever, if we're playing icon status.
Who of the social media voters has ever seen Maradona or Pele seen play football? Right nobody! yt "best of" doesn't count.
Pele played before I was born, but Maradona was THE player in the 1980s.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
How am I picking and choosing? I commented on every sell out like Neville and Beckham and everyone else taking blood money.

I've seen you criticize people for it, but not Messi. Who is picking and choosing?
I criticized who for taking money?

Instead of pointing fingers, I am the first to acknowledge that its incredibly hard for anyone to turn millions if not billions. I for one know I would probably not be able to.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Instead of pointing fingers, I am the first to acknowledge that its incredibly hard for anyone to turn millions if not billions. I for one know I would probably not be able to.

Not to judge your net worth, but can I guess it's less than Messi's $600 million (approx).

Would I turn down $25 million in my life as it is now? No, no I wouldn't.

Would I turn it down if I was worth 24 times $25 million dollars? I would hope so.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Not to judge your net worth, but can I guess it's less than Messi's $600 million (approx).

Would I turn down $25 million in my life as it is now? No, no I wouldn't.

Would I turn it down if I was worth 24 times $25 million dollars? I would hope so.
The operative word there is "hope"...

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Can't remember who it was that posted Maradona and Pele's accomplishments, and don't wanna dig it up, but I do recall that one of the feathers in Maradona's cap was that he was named the GOAT by 90Min - an objectively funny thing to use as evidence that Maradona is the GOAT.

Anyway, 90Min just posted a new top 25 of all time and Messi's at the top, so lmao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad