Who do you consider the greatest footballer of all time now ?

Who is the GOAT?

• Pele

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Ronaldo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cruyff

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zidane

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Maradona

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Messi

Votes: 83 78.3%
  • Cristiano Ronaldo

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Another player

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I don’t believe there’s a GOAT

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Same guy who won today. Same guy it was five years ago

I think 5 years ago a guy like Pele had at least an argument if Messi had stopped playing right then. Obviously since then Messi has added two ballon dor’s, a copa America, 150 or whatever number of goals he’s scored.

5 years ago I think it was clear that baring something crazy Messi would have the GOAT career, but he may not have been there quite yet. I’m not sure exactly when that was settled, but it was before today for sure.

Reactions: Tryamw

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Messi is the best most people have had the pleasure to watch. Overall, it is still the guy that won 3 out of 4 WC he played.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
The performance we witnessed during this WC just speaks volume on how Messi's IQ makes him the GOAT.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
Comparing across eras so hard, that I generally just avoid GOAT discussions. But Messi is the best player I've ever watched...may not be the coolest or greatest, but the best :-p

Pretty much, they discount guys born 60 years ago because they didn't play in the Champions League in the 2010's. How stupid is that?

Reactions: BMann

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I voted the "I don't believe" option. Messi is the best I've ever watched. But I only saw Pele at the end when he was playing for the Cosmos in the old NASL. Same with Beckenbauer. And Cruyff. I can't honestly judge those guys because I was young and hardly saw them, and never saw them at their best. But I respect what others more knowledgeable than I am have said and written about them. I agree with the poster above (@cgf) that it's almost impossible to accurately compare across eras that are so far apart.

Reactions: Jussi

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
Pretty much, they discount guys born 60 years ago because they didn't play in the Champions League in the 2010's. How stupid is that?
People do not discount guys born 60 years ago like Maradona, Platini or even older guys like Cruyff or Beckenbauer. Hell even Pele is still loved and revered by millions and some still even call him the goat though the more we know about him it's clear he isn't anywhere close to Messi. Just read this post from QUORA

It's still common to see people claim Maradona, R9 or Ronaldinho as better than CR7 or even Messi (lol). On the other hand it's really difficult to compete with even CR7 in career value as all three of these guys I mentioned were completely washed up by 30. I still think the three peaked higher than CR7 though.

The problem with Messi is that he not only has a long productive career winning every award possible but also dominates every statistic, especially the hidden advanced stats.
5b51ce6zwws81.jpg

40odhurz02371.jpg

3ya4cai4eny81.png

7f50ae29c0717347bd91928d58b017a1.png

sK0CoXzUy2K7bXRxdolI39eFrlBXjpvlzYuBQ3KDBLw.jpg

szx4n7d19n6a1.jpg

ad7f66bdfa8ed2a0f27479472b6f770a.png

I mean how can anyone compete?

Last edited:

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
People do not discount guys born 60 years ago like Maradona, Platini or even older guys like Cruyff or Beckenbauer. Hell even Pele is still loved and revered by millions and some still even call him the goat though the more we know about him it's clear he isn't anywhere close to Messi. Just read this post from QUORA

It's still common to see people claim Maradona, R9 or Ronaldinho as better than CR7 or even Messi (lol). On the other hand it's really difficult to compete with even CR7 in career value as all three of these guys I mentioned were completely washed up by 30. I still think the three peaked higher than CR7 though.

The problem with Messi is that he not only has a long productive career winning every award possible but also dominates every statistic, especially the hidden advanced stats.
5b51ce6zwws81.jpg

40odhurz02371.jpg

3ya4cai4eny81.png

7f50ae29c0717347bd91928d58b017a1.png

sK0CoXzUy2K7bXRxdolI39eFrlBXjpvlzYuBQ3KDBLw.jpg

szx4n7d19n6a1.jpg

ad7f66bdfa8ed2a0f27479472b6f770a.png

I mean how can anyone compete?

Pele against Europeans in club world cup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiWriuLjGlY

7 goals in 4 games, two titles for Santos but sure he was just a product of Brazilian NT and matches against amateur sides.

Elvis P

U aint nothin but a hound dog cryin all the time
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
People do not discount guys born 60 years ago like Maradona, Platini or even older guys like Cruyff or Beckenbauer. ...
This is nonsense. Even on this hockey board I've seen hundreds of polls since 12/07 and over half the posters discount any player older than Bobby Orr. I just read a post that Gordie would be a 4th liner today :rolleyes: and he had 20 consecutive top 10 scoring finishes! Click there > Which of these players are your top 5 ever?

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It’s really hard to compare eras. Players might be bigger stronger faster now. But the game at times in the past did little to protect talent like it does now. There was more clutching and grabbing at times. Some of the tackles back then would get players banned.

All that said, Messi’s longevity and statistical numbers suggest he had a strong case prior to now, and the last few years have only further cemented any potential criticisms. I’m not sure as I did not see many of the others play, but he’s the clear best in this era right now.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I'd like to see Messi pull all nighters drinking and doing 8 balls off hookers breasts while contracting gonorrhea and going out on the pitch and doing what Maradona did.

Reactions: Walrus26

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I'd like to see Messi pull all nighters drinking and doing 8 balls off hookers breasts while contracting gonorrhea and going out on the pitch and doing what Maradona did.
Well that’s certainly one way of looking at it. If those are the criteria we have to have George Best in the conversation, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad