Pre-Game Talk: Who do we want to play, Flyers or Islanders?

Who do you want to play in the ECF?

• Total voters

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
So we played the Islanders 3 times this year.

we got killed the first two games and the 3rd game we won but didn’t really deserve to win.

I’m kinda scared

Normally, I'd agree with you, but after the CBJ series last year I'm rolling with all bets are off in the playoffs.

With that said, the Isles play a style that we suck at. Their coach is arguably the best in the game. And they never quit. I'm definitely more scared than I was about playing CBJ or Boston.

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
I didn’t see any real trapping in the Isles-Philly series. While they play conscientious defense they don’t simply collapse into the neutral zone or in their own zone. They forecheck hard ( especially the Cizikas line) and move the puck with purpose, which are not hallmarks of trapping teams.

Plus, they have FW talent: Barzal, Beauvilier, Eberle, Nelson, Pageau, Bailey. Lee is a net hound. What they lack is an elite puck moving/ PP quarterback defenseman.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Having played and defeated Columbus in the first round will help us greatly in this series.

Looking at goaltending, the way Korpisalo played, Varlamov or Greiss will have to stand on their heads to match that performance. If we compare their defenses, then Islanders have a better unit, sure they lack big names but guys like Pelech and Pulock have impressed me a lot in these playoffs. But Columbus had guys like Jones and Werenski who really made it hard for us, so all in all, those departments are rather even. What sets Islands and Columbus apart is clearly the offense. Islanders have really got it going, Barzal is one of the better players in these playoffs and they have more depth. I also reckon Islanders have better forechecking than Columbus.

So they have a lot of things in similar, but this will be a tougher test no doubt. I think the lessons learned in the first round will help us, but the guys have to play their best series so far if we want to go through.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We always play like dog turds when we've had too much rest. I hope we're ready and prepared come game 1. Christ, I cannot remember a Conference Final I have ever been less excited about. I'd rather get a root canal than watch another series of "clog da zone!" "stick to da struckshure!" "muh 100 foot game beginning in muh defensive zone!" "muh special teams battles!" "da scoring chances will come!" "protecc da net!"

If we lose I'm not gonna be surprised anymore. This is our 4th series in the last 5 where we've had to deal with this crap and I'm somewhat convinced the Lightning are damned to have to play against it forever and we're gonna be stuck with the NYI and CBJ yet again next year. Anyone know a good dentist?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
But griping aside we do matchup well though. All the NYI really have is being a pain in the ass to play against. We'll see if that's enough.

The fact Philly took this series to 7 without a functioning power play and like 3 goals between Jake, G and TK (who had 0 all playoffs) is really damning

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I didn’t see any real trapping in the Isles-Philly series. While they play conscientious defense they don’t simply collapse into the neutral zone or in their own zone. They forecheck hard ( especially the Cizikas line) and move the puck with purpose, which are not hallmarks of trapping teams.

Plus, they have FW talent: Barzal, Beauvilier, Eberle, Nelson, Pageau, Bailey. Lee is a net hound. What they lack is an elite puck moving/ PP quarterback defenseman.
They play aggressive and fast

BOOM and they're on you

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Having played and defeated Columbus in the first round will help us greatly in this series.

Looking at goaltending, the way Korpisalo played, Varlamov or Greiss will have to stand on their heads to match that performance. If we compare their defenses, then Islanders have a better unit, sure they lack big names but guys like Pelech and Pulock have impressed me a lot in these playoffs. But Columbus had guys like Jones and Werenski who really made it hard for us, so all in all, those departments are rather even. What sets Islands and Columbus apart is clearly the offense. Islanders have really got it going, Barzal is one of the better players in these playoffs and they have more depth. I also reckon Islanders have better forechecking than Columbus.

So they have a lot of things in similar, but this will be a tougher test no doubt. I think the lessons learned in the first round will help us, but the guys have to play their best series so far if we want to go through.
Islanders are faster than CBJ and have more offence, but no way is the defence unit better. Jones, Werenski, Savard, Gavrikov played the whole game pretty much.

Also remember CBJ had PLD who was a beast.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Islanders are faster than CBJ and have more offence, but no way is the defence unit better. Jones, Werenski, Savard, Gavrikov played the whole game pretty much.

Fellow Tampanian here but Islander fan.

Talent wise CBJ may have a slightly better defense but most just haven't heard of the likes of Pelech, Pulock, Toews. Andy Greene has been a beast- plays like a 30 yo. It's the system however that makes a difference. That is what Tampa has to beat not individual players.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Conference finals are so weird because you feel so close and yet so far from where you want to be.

I didn’t want to face the Isles but I feel better about this matchup after going through Columbus. Hopefully the experience and lessons learned in round 1 will help us here.

KuchieKooRov

Aug 13, 2020

Agreed! Columbus was stronger on the back end (at least the top 4), and definitely had the better 1, 2 punch in Jones/Werenski. Those top 2 D could activate and get involved offensively unlike the Isles D. Now the Isles can argue their overall unit 1-6/7 are stronger... but I still like Columbus overall.

Isles definitely have the more skilled group up front, but I think Columbus had them beat on the back end.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Columbus and NY Islanders.

One team was 25-22 in regulation-decided games this year. The other was 24-23.

One team scored 172 goals and allowed 173 (in regulation). The other scored 181 goals and allowed 183.

The first of those teams was Columbus and the other was the Islanders, to be clear, but the broader point is that, if we start talking about the Islanders as being "twice the team" Columbus is, or stuff like that, we're being prisoners of the moment. In terms of output and results, these teams were pretty much identical this season.

Now, if you wanna point out that the Blue Jackets series was deceptively short, I wouldn't disagree. Four one-goal wins, two OT decisions. To that extent, it wasn't an easy series at all and, by extension, would suggest the Islanders won't be easy either. That's fine, that's fair. But it is to suggest that, if we could dispatch of Columbus, we should be able to dispatch of the Islanders as well. I'm really not seeing what I'm supposed to be looking at with them that should have be deeply concerned. They're a .500 hockey team. Treat them like one.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Conference finals are so weird because you feel so close and yet so far from where you want to be.

I didn’t want to face the Isles but I feel better about this matchup after going through Columbus. Hopefully the experience and lessons learned in round 1 will help us here.
Being a part of the top 4 teams seems so close... then you realize you're only halfway through.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00