Pre-Game Talk: Who do we want to play, Flyers or Islanders?

Who do you want to play in the ECF?

• Total voters

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Not Barry trotz he will trap us to death
I'm not too concerned about the trap this year, but the Isles do a good job keeping teams to the outside when they're in their own zone, which I think the Bolts are more likely to fall into.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yeah, I prefer the Flyers as well. I think we're better defensively than them and they play a more open style of hockey that we will benefit from, especially our 1st line and chaos spreading 3rd line.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
I voted Flyers, but then I will have to put up with the huge bias with NBC/NBCSN talking heads and play by play.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Hmm, tough one. Either way I think it will be our toughest series yet, despite Boston being the best team out of them.

Islanders got a solid structure, while Flyers if they win have come back from 1-3 and won two (if not three) OT games. I think such makes any decent team dangerous.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Flyers thanks. But rip Vasi's stats with all the 7-6 and 8-7 games in that series.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I don't think Varlamov is as good as Korpisalo oddly enough, which makes the Isles less scary to me than they would be otherwise. But I hate boring games so Flyers I guess. They've just been sloppy as hell overall and I think we can exploit that.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm not as concerned about the NYI as I was. The Flyers were down Coots, Farabee, not even playing Frost or Ghost, have a worse PP than us and managed to tie the series.

I do think both series are winnable and if we continue on track we will play for the Cup again

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
The true answer is: doesn't matter.

We are the best team left, let alone the best team in the league. There shouldn't be a team we can't beat. Its our cup to lose. Period.

There isn't one team as deep and talented as us with amazing players at key positions.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
We should be able to beat the Islanders. Lets not kid ourselves about that.

But we should be able to roll the Flyers. Everything about that matchup sounds more manageable. The only downside to them is they would get last change more often than we would, but we're 4-0 without last change this postseason, so I don't really see that snowballing into a problem.

So, Flyers.

I'm not as concerned about the NYI as I was. The Flyers were down Coots, Farabee, not even playing Frost or Ghost, have a worse PP than us and managed to tie the series.

I do think both series are winnable and if we continue on track we will play for the Cup again

They managed to tie the series but needed an absolute metric ton of luck to do so. Outshot by nearly a 2:1 ratio (closer to 3:1 in regulation...shots were 48-18 NYI at one point) and won the game thanks to a fortuitously timed broken stick for an Islanders D. They had zero business whatsoever winning that game, but they did and it's over now and Game 6 is no guarantee of how Game 7 will play. It's a toss-up now.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
We beat Boston in 2017, 4-1 in a similar fashion; before being slowly "dismembered" by Trotz' Caps in ECF. Philly or New York, I would like to be as confident as you are guys, but this is not going to be a cakewalk either way IMO.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Both of our potential opponents that year were much better teams than either of our potential opponents this year, IMO. 2018 was either our long-time kryptonite, or the 2x defending Cup champions.

Last edited:

Beerleaguer2019

Nov 20, 2019
Flyers for sure. Only to not have to flip the switch back to the kind of hockey we had to play against CBJ.

switching styles from run and gun to slow and methodical to play the Isles will take an adjustment game and ain’t nobody got time for that

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3