Pre-Game Talk: Who do we want to play, Flyers or Islanders?

Who do you want to play in the ECF?

• Total voters

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
The true answer is: doesn't matter.

We are the best team left, let alone the best team in the league. There shouldn't be a team we can't beat. Its our cup to lose. Period.

There isn't one team as deep and talented as us with amazing players at key positions.

People here need to stop sleeping on Vegas. This team is constructed well.

First line: Bolts
Second Line: Vegas (by a wide margin)
3rd line Vegas (very debatable)
4th line Vegas

Defence: Bolts
Goaltending: Bolts

Star Players: Bolts

BennetAintInit

Sep 7, 2018
Fl.
Bet on Flyers for the Isles/flyers series win for that exact matchup reason. And yeah, Coop needs to get it together on his line and matchup gameplan for Vegas starting immediately!

twenty5psi

Feb 27, 2018

4th line Vegas

Vegas is going go have their hands full with Dallas. So whichever one makes the SCF will be a formidable opponent for the East team.

Reactions: DaBolts

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

4th line Vegas

I’ll worry about Vegas when we get past the flyers or islanders we haven’t won a eastern conference final with cooper since 2015 our last two 2016 and 2018 we have lost

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I want the Islanders, Flyers have been the hottest team in the league in 2020 and are building a lot of momentum.

KuchieKooRov

Aug 13, 2020

4th line Vegas

agree mainly but I like our 3rd line better. Call it team bias if you want but we have 2 20 goal scorers on our 3rd line that provide a lot of grit/speed. If we go 11/7, 4th line will be negated as well and if we can get Stamkos back, that wide margin on the 2nd line difference becomes negligible.

When everyone is healthy I think tampa bay's overall depth at forward/defense is stronger than Vegas. But who cares about Vegas, we really need to get through our ECF first, like other's have said we have lost the last 2 we have been in and Tampa also led both of those series 3-2. Now having said that, Washington was definitely the more dominate team in 2018 (I think Vasi deserves credit for keeping us in that series) and Pittsburgh could have been completely different if the stupid offsides rule didn't erase our 1-0 lead at home. :)

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Flyers have the stronger goaltending (Varlomov is sub par at best), but the Isles play a similar style to Columbus that we don't match up well against.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
agree mainly but I like our 3rd line better. Call it team bias if you want but we have 2 20 goal scorers on our 3rd line that provide a lot of grit/speed. If we go 11/7, 4th line will be negated as well and if we can get Stamkos back, that wide margin on the 2nd line difference becomes negligible.

When everyone is healthy I think tampa bay's overall depth at forward/defense is stronger than Vegas. But who cares about Vegas, we really need to get through our ECF first, like other's have said we have lost the last 2 we have been in and Tampa also led both of those series 3-2. Now having said that, Washington was definitely the more dominate team in 2018 (I think Vasi deserves credit for keeping us in that series) and Pittsburgh could have been completely different if the stupid offsides rule didn't erase our 1-0 lead at home. :)
That 3rd line on Vegas is something else. Tuch is a 30-35 guy

Reactions: KuchieKooRov

KuchieKooRov

Aug 13, 2020
That 3rd line on Vegas is something else. Tuch is a 30-35 guy
and Tuch actually comes to play in the postseason so he gets extra points! haha who is with Tuch though? he is the only one I am familier with. Stephanson? Carrier? .... haha I looked it up, seems they dropped Statsny down to 3rd line center and moved Stephanson up. Statsny hasn't been as noticeable this postseason. I think I'll still take our 3rd line over them. Zero familiarity with Roy.

But his regular season numbers are just ok. I think he scored 8 goals in the regular season and has already 7 in the postseason? thats night/day comparison. Dude does bring it in the postseason. I think Gourde though is playing his best postseason hockey since his first crack at it when he became a regular with Tampa.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Flyers will be ripe for the taking. Hart is a baby and Provorov can only play so many minutes. Their veterans, including Giroux, have been passengers on the Flyers bus. Can't rely on a 21 y.o. goalie and a 23 y.o. D to carry the team.

The Islanders will be a much tougher match-up, even given their suspect goaltending. I am still puzzled by the Varlamov signing; injuries did him in years ago.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Hoping they beat each other up! We will defeat the team left standing.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
2-0 Isles. I don't really have a preference for who we play. I'm just checking out the competition tonight lol

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Islanders take the early lead. Flyers look bad.

I don't think either of these teams are great. Even if they get by us, I'll take the team in the west to beat either of them. I think Boston would have beaten either of them too.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I don't think either of these teams are great. Even if they get by us, I'll take the team in the west to beat either of them. I think Boston would have beaten either of them too.
Islanders are made to look better than they are because of the continuous unforced defensive errors by Philadelphia. They do represent a threat though, very hard working and structurally sound team.

Reactions: Ginger Papa and DFC

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Islanders were 24-23 this year in games decided in regulation. Obviously the regular season is long gone and the circumstances this year are extra weird, but it's still the same roster (more-or-less) that was a .500 hockey team this season (Blue Jackets, for what it's worth, were actually 25-22 in regulation games with 23 OT/SO games). So while, matchup-wise, I'd rather face the Flyers, we really shouldn't have anything to fear in terms of the Islanders being some incredible hockey team or something. They can beat us because hockey is an inherently volatile sport in terms of upset potential, but it shouldn't happen and it's a failure if it does.

(For the sake of comparison, the Capitals were 38-26 in 2017-'18 in regulation games. There's not a reasonable comparison to be made with that team to this Islanders team.)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Islanders are made to look better than they are because of the continuous unforced defensive errors by Philadelphia. They do represent a threat though, very hard working and structurally sound team.

Yeah. I don't think any team in the league can try to match us with speed and skill if they hope to win. You have to figure out a way to shut us down. I like our chances against the Isles, but I think a Philly series would be similar to Boston.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Either shouldn't be much challenge.
Flyers aren't very good with very good goaltending.
Islanders are good systematically with pretty average goaltending.
Tampa should be able to beat both, better in every aspect.

Only Vegas will be a challenge in the Final.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Islanders were 24-23 this year in games decided in regulation. Obviously the regular season is long gone and the circumstances this year are extra weird, but it's still the same roster (more-or-less) that was a .500 hockey team this season (Blue Jackets, for what it's worth, were actually 25-22 in regulation games with 23 OT/SO games). So while, matchup-wise, I'd rather face the Flyers, we really shouldn't have anything to fear in terms of the Islanders being some incredible hockey team or something. They can beat us because hockey is an inherently volatile sport in terms of upset potential, but it shouldn't happen and it's a failure if it does.

(For the sake of comparison, the Capitals were 38-26 in 2017-'18 in regulation games. There's not a reasonable comparison to be made with that team to this Islanders team.)

I don't think that's a coincidence though. They play a hard-working game that shuts things down.

The Caps in 2018 were a whole different animal, but it's also important to remember they struggled mightily with CBJ in Round 1. CBJ is just a tough out for anyone, especially in Round 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad