Speculation: Who do we target on D after OEL Buyout?

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
People were talking about Sanheim in the other thread, but the extension for 8 years at a hit of 6.25m seems like a risky deal given reports of his inconsistent play. The pro scouting team would have to have a really good handle on him... if he wasn't doing great with Tortorella, could he even work with Tocchet?

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Yeah it’d be the 2024 pick. I haven’t done the exercise of going through everyone’s roster to identify targets yet but let’s day this:

2024 1st (Lottery Protected) for K’Andre Miller
K’Andre Miller would be soooooo good and probably the perfect partner for Hronek.

I wonder if Hoglander and our 2024 1st would do it. It would be a similar package to the one Hronek got. Top 4 dman are going to cost at least a B+ player/2nd rounder and a 1st.
Stetcher sucks. This obsession of former C grade players in this market needs to stop. Do you want to improve the team or are you aspiring to get the old sh!tty band back together? Let’s grab Edler, Tryamkin, Stetcher and Hutton! Blows my f***ing mind when I read this sh!t. Have some pride Canuck fans. Let’s try and fix the team in the present and the future
You lost credibility when you say that Stecher “sucks”.

Stecher is a terrific 5th/6th defenseman.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
K’Andre Miller would be soooooo good and probably the perfect partner for Hronek.

I wonder if Hoglander and our 2024 1st would do it. It would be a similar package to the one Hronek got. Top 4 dman are going to cost at least a B+ player/2nd rounder and a 1st.

He was a terrific 5/6 when we had the worst team in the league. The blinders because he is Troy from Richmond is disgusting. A terrific 5/6? On a playoff team or a basement dweller? I realize we have low expectations as Canuck fans but that is truly absurd

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Try this years first.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
The two names that immediately jump to mind are Graves and Soucy

I suppose the fact that the Blue Jackets have like 11 NHL d man could be pondered as well
NJ fans are laughing about how ordinary he is and how badly someone will over pay. So it sounds like it would be an apt branch to grow out of the Loui Ericsson tree.

This was part of the problem with the buyout. I'd rather spend more futures to fill that slot. Do another Hronek trade with our #11.

Try this years first.
And keep Hogs ? Im fine with it.

Reactions: Hodgy

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
I would not be at all surprised if they spent their nut on Orlov and in 4 years we are talking about how buying him out makes financial sense so that the team can replicate the great playoff run of 2026 (second round exit)

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
there is no targeting anyone now that we’ve bought out OEL

you’re going to have to hope one of wolanin, brisebois, hirose, or if he’s still around boner doesn’t get caved in. and even if they all do, it’ll still probably be an improvement.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Stetcher sucks. This obsession of former C grade players in this market needs to stop. Do you want to improve the team or are you aspiring to get the old sh!tty band back together? Let’s grab Edler, Tryamkin, Stetcher and Hutton! Blows my f***ing mind when I read this sh!t. Have some pride Canuck fans. Let’s try and fix the team in the present and the future

Stecher is a perfectly capable bottom pairing defender, and a bona fide bargain at the cap hits he’s been earning. He’s not a top four guy, but he’s a high character, high compete player that gives you quality minutes and can play serviceable spot duty for injury relief.

Last edited:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I’m wary of us trying to fix the defense in free agency. For one, this crop isn’t earth shattering. But for two, we’d be overpaying.

I like Carson Soucy. But I don’t know that I’ll like the contract he’s going to get.
Probably makes sense to target cheap 3rd paring guys in FA if there is any that are available.

Maybe if we can trade Garland we can package that return for a D and then recuperate a pick in sept when Myers is tradeable.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Stecher is a perfectly capable bottom pairing defender, and a boba fide bargain at the cap hits he’s been earning. He’s not a top four guy, but he’s a high character, high compete player that gives you quality minutes and can play serviceable spot duty for injury relief.
Do you believe Stetcher is a quality 5/6 on a playoff team?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There's apparently zero chance of Dimitry Orlov re-signing in Boston.....but he'd probably be too expensive anyway.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Interesting assessment on Graves for Devils site:

Screenshot_2023_05_16_12.30.46_PM.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad