Speculation: Who do we pick?

Who do we pick at 5th overall?

• Total voters

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
What about this - trade back to somewhere between 10 and 15. Dallas or Florida may be in the market for D, and this would give them one of the best from the 2nd tier.

Let's say Dallas offers #13, #44 and Rhett Gardner for #5, #160, and a 2019 4th round pick.

We then continue the trade back festival by looking at #13 and #96 to Minnesota for #23 and Coyle?

#5 pick, #96, and #160 (plus a 2019 4th rounder) turn into Coyle, #23, #44 and Gardner. If Coyle is available, I would love to shore up the right side with him.

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
We need scoring more than we need D. Why trade back if we are in a position to take Zadina, Wahlstrom or Tkachuk? I don't get the attraction of picking up 2nd rounders and 3rd rounders for a less talented 1st rounder. We need a concentration of talent in a forward, not a few 2nd, 3rd and 4th line talents.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
We need scoring more than we need D. Why trade back if we are in a position to take Zadina, Wahlstrom or Tkachuk? I don't get the attraction of picking up 2nd rounders and 3rd rounders for a less talented 1st rounder. We need a concentration of talent in a forward, not a few 2nd, 3rd and 4th line talents.

We would be picking up Charlie Coyle in the example I made above, in addition to moving back. Coyle is more than capable of a 45+ point season, and he fits the bill of a player Chayka might be interested in (mid to late 20s, first year of being a Corsi negative was this past year with more defensive zone starts, big body who can control the puck in corners).

Keller-Stepan-Panik
Domi-Strome-Coyle
Perlini-Dvorak-Fischer
Crouse-Kruger-Cousins

Pretty much any player in the top 9 is interchangeable at their positions. Panik could bump down to 3rd line just as easily as he slots up to the top line. I am in no way suggesting moving back for the sake of moving back, but we would use that trade (or combination of trades) to add to our current NHL core. Be it trying to get Paccioretty or any other RW via trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mosby

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If Tkachuk and Zadina are gone, I might go with a D. I like Bouchard from what I have read.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
What about this - trade back to somewhere between 10 and 15. Dallas or Florida may be in the market for D, and this would give them one of the best from the 2nd tier.

Let's say Dallas offers #13, #44 and Rhett Gardner for #5, #160, and a 2019 4th round pick.

We then continue the trade back festival by looking at #13 and #96 to Minnesota for #23 and Coyle?

#5 pick, #96, and #160 (plus a 2019 4th rounder) turn into Coyle, #23, #44 and Gardner. If Coyle is available, I would love to shore up the right side with him.

I don't want to trade #5 for a 40 pt forward, a late first and a pile of meh. Would you trade Keller for Coyle and a late first?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
We’ve been overrun by outside fans in this poll. Losers.

I only count 8 outsiders. Out of 75 votes or so that's not too much. We have a decent number of lurker infrequent posters. I'd imagine they'd post more if the team wasn't dreck :laugh:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
To Arizona: 3 OV
To Montreal: 5 OV + POJ

Who says no?

Thinking is we can add an NHL ready talent in Zadina. Montreal addresses a need on D (bonus French Canadian) and may still get a player they may like in Tkachuk at 5.

Reactions: Yandover and doaner

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
To Arizona: 3 OV
To Montreal: 5 OV + POJ

Who says no?

Thinking is we can add an NHL ready talent in Zadina. Montreal addresses a need on D (bonus French Canadian) and may still get a player they may like in Tkachuk at 5.

POJ is a riser and is IMO worth more than the late first value he was drafted at. I'd say he's mid-first quality at this point.

Value wise, I'd demand one of the 8 million 2nd rounders Montreal has. Montreal's own 2nd is probably too good but maybe Chicago's.

Think we're better off standing pat though on this deal.

Reactions: Kimahri

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I don't want to trade #5 for a 40 pt forward, a late first and a pile of meh. Would you trade Keller for Coyle and a late first?

Well, considering we would go from #5, and three late round picks (most of whom never sniff the league) to a player in the NHL who is capable of 40 points, plus two picks in the top 50 (picks who are far more likely to make it to the NHL than picks in the 4th, 5th, or 6th rounds), yes, it makes sense. Each draft is different.

If we knew that the next Keller was available at the pick, maybe we don't do that deal. But if that upside isn't clear, we may get one potentially very good player at #5 or three good players in Coyle and the additional picks. We have some development time to work with, so subtracting the 5 pick isn't great, but adding pieces that can make up for it can. Maybe this is the 2011 draft (Ryan Strome taken 5th OA), and the players that we could potentially grab in the 2nd are the likes of Kucherov, William Karlsson, Mayfield, Jenner, Gibson, Victor Rask, Saad, or Salomaki. Just because you are taken high doesn't guarantee success in the NHL and given our track record, maybe it is better off to throw a few good pieces on to the roster, as opposed to just one very good piece. :dunno:

Edit: The last 8 forwards taken in the NHL draft at #5 OA from 2004 - 14 have averaged 56 points over an 82 game season combined. This includes a list of players like Wheeler, Vanek, and Kessel. So, yes, there may be a great player out there, but Coyle averaging 40-45 points per season, plus a late 1st round pick and a mid 2nd round pick would actually be pretty close in the end and it may end up being that both of those picks make the NHL, at which point I would tend to favor the more picks scenario. But again, very close and it is somewhat dependent on the upside available. Is Wahlstrom or Tkachuk likely to produce at a Blake Wheeler or Phil Kessel level, or are they closer to Ryan Strome or Nino Neiderreiter?

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We were in desperate need of a vet either 1C or 2C last year so we traded the pick for Stepan. I wouldn't move the pick or move up or down to pick up an available vet winger as part of a package. I think wingers are easiest to replace or develop versus 1C/2C/Top 4D. I know we need scoring but i think it can come from within.
Unless an unbelievable deal comes along, we should just take BPA. If this pick works out, it won't bear fruit for a year or 2 anyway and by then our roster makeup will have changed. I wouldn't pick based on position or a hole in our roster.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We were in desperate need of a vet either 1C or 2C last year so we traded the pick for Stepan. I wouldn't move the pick or move up or down to pick up an available vet winger as part of a package. I think wingers are easiest to replace or develop versus 1C/2C/Top 4D. I know we need scoring but i think it can come from within.
Unless an unbelievable deal comes along, we should just take BPA. If this pick works out, it won't bear fruit for a year or 2 anyway and by then our roster makeup will have changed. I wouldn't pick based on position or a hole in our roster.
If that pick is Tkachuk he will be here next year, I think the same could hold true for a player like Bouchard, but other than that I don't see that pick here next year. Never know though. I agree with you about trading the pick for a vet winger.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
^^^

I have yet to hear Chayka state that we have plenty of vets. May not be desperate for a specific player, but veteran presence in the middle to late 20s has been mentioned as a need.

We have so many players on ELCs right now that I don't know how much that truly changes our team dynamic, at least at forward. What if the 5 pick takes a longer time than two years to develop, like Strome in his 3rd year? Definite risks to everything, but if we are able to start the season in the same fashion as the last 40 games of this past year, maybe the veteran wing is exactly what is needed.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well, considering we would go from #5, and three late round picks (most of whom never sniff the league) to a player in the NHL who is capable of 40 points, plus two picks in the top 50 (picks who are far more likely to make it to the NHL than picks in the 4th, 5th, or 6th rounds), yes, it makes sense. Each draft is different.

If we knew that the next Keller was available at the pick, maybe we don't do that deal. But if that upside isn't clear, we may get one potentially very good player at #5 or three good players in Coyle and the additional picks. We have some development time to work with, so subtracting the 5 pick isn't great, but adding pieces that can make up for it can. Maybe this is the 2011 draft (Ryan Strome taken 5th OA), and the players that we could potentially grab in the 2nd are the likes of Kucherov, William Karlsson, Mayfield, Jenner, Gibson, Victor Rask, Saad, or Salomaki. Just because you are taken high doesn't guarantee success in the NHL and given our track record, maybe it is better off to throw a few good pieces on to the roster, as opposed to just one very good piece. :dunno:

Edit: The last 8 forwards taken in the NHL draft at #5 OA from 2004 - 14 have averaged 56 points over an 82 game season combined. This includes a list of players like Wheeler, Vanek, and Kessel. So, yes, there may be a great player out there, but Coyle averaging 40-45 points per season, plus a late 1st round pick and a mid 2nd round pick would actually be pretty close in the end and it may end up being that both of those picks make the NHL, at which point I would tend to favor the more picks scenario. But again, very close and it is somewhat dependent on the upside available. Is Wahlstrom or Tkachuk likely to produce at a Blake Wheeler or Phil Kessel level, or are they closer to Ryan Strome or Nino Neiderreiter?
I would take my chances at #5 rather than picks in the second round and Coyle. I do like Coyle though.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
^^^

I have yet to hear Chayka state that we have plenty of vets. May not be desperate for a specific player, but veteran presence in the middle to late 20s has been mentioned as a need.

We have so many players on ELCs right now that I don't know how much that truly changes our team dynamic, at least at forward. What if the 5 pick takes a longer time than two years to develop, like Strome in his 3rd year? Definite risks to everything, but if we are able to start the season in the same fashion as the last 40 games of this past year, maybe the veteran wing is exactly what is needed.
How many more vets do you think we need? I simply don't trade #5 OA in a deep draft for Coyle, especially after trading our 1st. last year.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How many more vets do you think we need? I simply don't trade #5 OA in a deep draft for Coyle, especially after trading our 1st. last year.
I think we need another vet top six forward. I just don’t want trade an A+ future asset for them. I’d rather extremely overpay a UFA on a very short deal. Or trade less for a guy with warts. Let’s keep our high end assets.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think we need another vet top six forward. I just don’t want trade an A+ future asset for them. I’d rather extremely overpay a UFA on a very short deal. Or trade less for a guy with warts. Let’s keep our high end assets.
If that forward is a RW I would be fine with that. I agree I don't want to trade a A+ asset and the way it looks so far either does Chayka.

Reactions: cobra427

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad