Speculation: Who do we pick?

Who do we pick at 5th overall?

• Total voters

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I understand and was under the impression he was asking about Jack - WC being World CHAMIONSIP?
Oh and you're dreaming - but I like it! :)
Both are world championships. One is just for players under 18.

The u20 is the other world championship held over Xmas and New Years (world juniors is how it's commonly referred to as)

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This year’s U18:
Jack Hughes & Oliver Wahlstrom played but Quinn was too old. This tournament is over.

This year’s U20:
Quinn played. Jack & Oliver Wahlstrom didn’t make the team. This tournament is over.

This year’s WC:
Quinn is on the team. No Jack & No Oliver. This tournament is ongoing.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Would be interesting to see how much this has changed in the last month with the combine and memorial cup. Might need to add Zadina and Kotkanimemi to the list as well.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I abstained from this poll because Kotkaniemi wasn't an option.

Can't wait to see how things shake out next Friday.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If we pick Kotkaniemi I’ll be happy. The idea of him in the hands of Dawn Braid is exciting.
Braid has her hand full with Strome. I know Kotkaniemi is moving up the charts with the posters on these boards but I would rather not pick him with our 5 OA.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Braid has her hand full with Strome. I know Kotkaniemi is moving up the charts with the posters on these boards but I would rather not pick him with our 5 OA.
You should probably check out Craig Button’s list. And Corey Pronman’s. I expect Bob’s scout poll will have him in the top eight also. His lottery poll had him 10th.

avco

Feb 10, 2007
If the Vegas Golden Knights showed 4 Second Lines can outplay the Traditional First, Second, Third, and Fourth Line strategy. As such I would trade our 5th OA to the Islanders for their 11th and 12th OA. Would rather have 2 B+ players rather than 1 A player.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
If the Vegas Golden Knights showed 4 Second Lines can outplay the Traditional First, Second, Third, and Fourth Line strategy. As such I would trade our 5th OA to the Islanders for their 11th and 12th OA. Would rather have 2 B+ players rather than 1 A player.

The Knights showed that having four lines with 2nd line-ish talent can work to a point with great coaching and a solid system. But they just lost the Cup in five to a team that had a more traditional build.

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Quality at 5OA is way better then 11/12. At 5 you might get an OEL, and at 11 and 12 Gormley/Runblad. Keep 5 and take BPA, keep it simple. I've been saying this also because we have an inexperienced GM that has been fortunate so far with a few trades/picks, and I don't want him to try and outsmart somebody here and make a mistake (he is due for a mistake).

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
If I understand your first sentence correctly, then I totally disagree. We need an A player or two, not 3 or 4 B + players. Vegas was an outlier. Vegas was the exception rather than the rule.

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad