Speculation: Who do we pick?

Who do we pick at 5th overall?

• Total voters

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Poor man's Stamkos?
I think Stamkos like to play at full gallop, while Wahlstrom is more likely to chill out in the circles and lay in wait. Not as much as Hoffman or Vrbata as another example. But he also doesn’t always have to have the puck like Hall or Ovechkin. I don’t know. He reminds me a ton of Bellows but a RHS. That’s worth a heck of a lot to me.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
If Chayka has Huges on his mind , I could see him move back a spot or 2. Are there any teams below us who has a Major cap dump , or someone on the IR, that Chayka could use his cap space on and perhaps pick up an additional player/ prospect?

Edit: maybe Johan Franzen etc...?

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
One comparison for Wahlstrom was Patrik Laine. Not quite as big nor is the shot as over powering but they both kind of lurk in quiet spots waiting for the puck and they love to shoot.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Some nutbag on NHL.com has a mock draft in which Svechnikov falls to number 5. So...
RSsWEwM.gif

Reactions: 0point1 and Grimes

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
A more mobile Ralfaski for a comparable on Hughes?
Comparisons for Bouchard, Tkachuk and Wahlstrom? I don't watch any of these kids and I respect your hockey knowledge and I know you watch a lot of junior games.:)

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He's got more than just the tools, unless his hits in this tournament were anomalies. There's two back to back at 1:15 in, and two at about 5 minutes in, with a few more dispersed throughout the video.

Do you know the stats that Wahlstrom and Tkachuk had in that tournament?

rt

May 13, 2004
Do you know the stats that Wahlstrom and Tkachuk had in that tournament?
eliteprospects.com is your friend. Make sure to tap the little arrows next to the league or the tournament or the team to drill down to those numbers. It’s a fantastic interface for quick reference data.

To answer your question; Wahlstrom has played 14 world U18 games. Seven this year and seven last year. He has 11g 3a 14pts in those 14gp. Tkachuk, who is almost a year older, has 7 world U18 games played, as he was too old to qualify for this year’s tourney. He had 1g and 6a for 7pts in 7gp last year. At the U20 (the big tourney) he had 3g 6a 9pts in 7gp. That’s quite impressive for a draft eligible, even an “old” one.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
eliteprospects.com is your friend. Make sure to tap the little arrows next to the league or the tournament or the team to drill down to those numbers. It’s a fantastic interface for quick reference data.

To answer your question; Wahlstrom has played 14 world U18 games. Seven this year and seven last year. He has 11g 3a 14pts in those 14gp. Tkachuk, who is almost a year older, has 7 world U18 games played, as he was too old to qualify for this year’s tourney. He had 1g and 6a for 7pts in 7gp last year. At the U20 (the big tourney) he had 3g 6a 9pts in 7gp. That’s quite impressive for a draft eligible, even an “old” one.
Thank you. Forgot about that site.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If he's on the board I think we take Tkachuk. Beyond that I could see Hughes being a Chayka pick.
I will take Tkachuk or Bouchard. Not even sure if my third choice would be Wahlstrom, probably Hughes. Mind you, I based my picks on reading and highlights of these prospects, so take that with a large grain of salt.

Reactions: slv

rt

May 13, 2004
I would guess if Tkachuk is there, he’s proabbly our pick. Otherwise I think Chayka goes with Wahlstrom or Hughes. Me personally, I think I’d probably have Wahlstrom 4th on my list after Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina. But it’s a razor thin margin for Wahlstrom ahead of Hughes and Tkachuk who I can’t fecide between. I think even Bouchard is right there with those two. Dobson maybe a little behind for no reason other than lack of exposure. Boqvist’s concussions put him down there, too.

1. Dahlin
-
-
-
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
-
-
-
4. Wahlstrom
5/6/7. Tkachuk/Hughes/Bouchard
8. Dobson
9. Boqvist
-
-
-
10. Smith

^ that’s where I’m at. I will rewatch the U18 and U20 before the draft. Also the Memorial Cup. So the list will likely change.

Reactions: Yandover

rt

May 13, 2004
Gun to my head, I have to guess right now who we will pick at 5, I’d say Wahlstrom. Tkachuk I’d guess won’t be there. Chayka has talked A LOT about balancing the lineup and needing to bolster the right side. He’s been talking about it for over a year. He hasn’t done a whole lot to address it short of Demers. Here’s his opportunity to add a foundational piece to the right side of he ice. I don’t think he passes it up.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
^^^^

Agreed and it seems like one of Chayka's major points is possession and the understanding of how to maintain it and drive it forward. I think a lot of the defensemen do have that quality, but I am not certain if there is one player that is head and shoulders above the rest. In the end, it seems like Wahlstrom tends to be more of a possession driver than Tkachuk, and while some of the defensemen are able to push the pace, I am not certain if it is the right balance of defensive responsibility and offensive push that Chayka would like to see in the next grouping of defensemen. I think in another post somewhere, I have a very similar look to yours, rt, except Bouchard is down a little bit and Dobson is up.

rt

May 13, 2004
For me, the two most simple, non-complicated picks would be Wahlstrom and Bouchard. That appeals to me in my exhausted state of being. I would be quite happy to take one of those two, know exactly where they fit, exactly what they're all about, and not have to think about all of the subsequent ramifications and additional questions. Hughes means more questions than answers. I'm really talking myself into Wahlstrom at this point. There are things that worry me about him but he's simple pick that provides clarity rather than confusion.

rt

May 13, 2004
Also, I do look forward to the main board shitting their pants when Wahlstrom wins the forum 40 poll that is done on all the team boards annually. Everyone out there will be expecting anyone else. I've never seen Wahlstrom to the Yotes in a mock. Everyone thinks OEL is leaving us, and nobody understands how good Chychrun is or how far Goligoski and Demers progressed this season. Most people don't even seem to remember that Hjalmarsson is a Coyote. It's like he retired or spent the year on the IR for the Hawks. The common narrative is that we have OEL and a bunch of pure crap on D, and OEL is leaving. Everyone seems to think that D is this huge, overpowering desperate need that we absolutely must address immediately.

And if our forum does go forward, and we take a pass on Tkachuk in favor of Wahlstrom, that's even funnier. They'd obviously expect us to make the legacy pick. Screw that. I hate the idea of a legacy pick. Speaking of that legacy, I'm not sure why anyone would think we'd be hot after another Tkachuk. Keith was the best player we've ever had but he was also a complete asshole and a pain in the ass the entire time. Very divisive guy with very me-first tendencies, and nightmare come contract time. He was a captain because he was as ferocious a competitor as can be imagined in this context, and he was also supremely talented as one of the finest goal scorers of his era. He wasn't captain for his character.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Also, I do look forward to the main board ****ting their pants when Wahlstrom wins the forum 40 poll that is done on all the team boards annually. Everyone out there will be expecting anyone else. I've never seen Wahlstrom to the Yotes in a mock. Everyone thinks OEL is leaving us, and nobody understands how good Chychrun is or how far Goligoski and Demers progressed this season. Most people don't even seem to remember that Hjalmarsson is a Coyote. It's like he retired or spent the year on the IR for the Hawks. The common narrative is that we have OEL and a bunch of pure crap on D, and OEL is leaving. Everyone seems to think that D is this huge, overpowering desperate need that we absolutely must address immediately.

And if our forum does go forward, and we take a pass on Tkachuk in favor of Wahlstrom, that's even funnier. They'd obviously expect us to make the legacy pick. Screw that. I hate the idea of a legacy pick. Speaking of that legacy, I'm not sure why anyone would think we'd be hot after another Tkachuk. Keith was the best player we've ever had but he was also a complete ******* and a pain in the ass the entire time. Very divisive guy with very me-first tendencies, and nightmare come contract time. He was a captain because he was as ferocious a competitor as can be imagined in this context, and he was also supremely talented as one of the finest goal scorers of his era. He wasn't captain for his character.

This is not at all meant to belittle you, rt, but it's amusing to see you to go from "there's a Forum 40 echo chamber regarding Wahlstrom" to "I'm really talking myself into Wahlstrom at this point" and "I do look forward to the main board ****ting their pants when Wahlstrom wins the forum 40 poll." :)

giphy.gif

Reactions: Grimes

rt

May 13, 2004
This is not at all meant to belittle you, rt, but it's amusing to see you to go from "there's a Forum 40 echo chamber regarding Wahlstrom" to "I'm really talking myself into Wahlstrom at this point" and "I do look forward to the main board ****ting their pants when Wahlstrom wins the forum 40 poll." :)

giphy.gif
I’ve always said he’s one of six guys in the running for my four slot. I’ve inky argued with people who’ve tried to put either him or Tkachuk for that matter ahead of Zadina at three. I sill have Zadina three miles ahead of Wahlstrom. I still only maybe have Wahlstrom ahead of Tkachuk or Hughes or Bouchard. And even then only by millimeters.

It’s the idea that he’s closer to Zadina than Zadina is to Svechnikov that I can’t tolerate. Or that he’s further ahead of Tkachuk or Hughes or Bouchard than he is behind Zadina. No way Jose. We can fight about that all day. Which of these half dozen horses wins by a single booger stuck to the end of their noses at the 4 spot on my rankings, I’ve never been able to argue passionately about.

It’s not that my mind has changed. It’s that I’ve done a poor job of asserting my position in past arguments.

rt

May 13, 2004
Wahlstrom has an elite shot. He’s absolutely obsessed with shooting as much as humanly possible. I like that. There are no concerns about size, strength and skating. I don’t think he’s a particularly fantastic top five pick. I don’t like him a whole lot better than Bellows. He’s safe and he’s a good fit. Other guys in that range I’m a little more worried about, even if I’m a little bit more excited about them too.

Reactions: Yandover

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Also, I do look forward to the main board ****ting their pants when Wahlstrom wins the forum 40 poll that is done on all the team boards annually. Everyone out there will be expecting anyone else. I've never seen Wahlstrom to the Yotes in a mock. Everyone thinks OEL is leaving us, and nobody understands how good Chychrun is or how far Goligoski and Demers progressed this season. Most people don't even seem to remember that Hjalmarsson is a Coyote. It's like he retired or spent the year on the IR for the Hawks. The common narrative is that we have OEL and a bunch of pure crap on D, and OEL is leaving. Everyone seems to think that D is this huge, overpowering desperate need that we absolutely must address immediately.
Are you talking about the same people that said Chicago absolutely hosed us in that Duclair trade? The same people that said only the Coyotes organization could screw up such talent and that as soon as he arrived in the windy city he'd instantly be the star forward he was projected to be?

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Well, Button had Zadina at #5 on his list. Dahlin, Boqvist, Tkachuk, Svechnikov, Zadina. It wouldn't be too far-fetched to see one of Svech or Zadina drop.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Well, Button had Zadina at #5 on his list. Dahlin, Boqvist, Tkachuk, Svechnikov, Zadina. It wouldn't be too far-fetched to see one of Svech or Zadina drop.
Nah, 0 chance it happens. Also, Svechnikov or Zadina falling would suck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad