Speculation: Who do we pick?

Who do we pick at 5th overall?

• Total voters

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Ok, the more I'm reading the draft profiles on these guys the harder it gets. Here is a question for you guys that know prospects better than I do (pretty much anyone here :) haha)... For each of these guys on the list... what's their biggest drawbacks?
Example: Boqvist- Size/ Concussions already something he's battling?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Ok, the more I'm reading the draft profiles on these guys the harder it gets. Here is a question for you guys that know prospects better than I do (pretty much anyone here :) haha)... For each of these guys on the list... what's their biggest drawbacks?
Example: Boqvist- Size/ Concussions already something he's battling?

Things that worry me about Tkachuk:
1. His production sucks for a top five pick, especially one that's old for his class
2. What does the above mean for his ceiling?
3. He's a LHS LW

Things that worry me about Hughes:
1. He plays a wild ass game of hockey. It's amazing to watch, but does it translate to the NHL effectively?
--Will our coaching staff tolerate a kid who wants to take the puck from behind his own net all the way into the offensive zone, go through multiple defenders and cycle around the world for 45 straight seconds without passing the puck at any point? Probably not.
2. He's a LHS LD
3. He's small

Things that worry me about Bouchard:
1. He doesn't have high end mobility
2. He's a low energy player, which really highlights the above
3. It's not unlike Strome's issues in the above two categories (isn't super mobile, takes his time, slows things down), but I'd say to a lesser extent than Strome, but maybe equally concerning because it's more vital at D

Things that worry me about Wahlstrom:
1. Seems to lack urgency, floats a bit, and cheats a bit
2. I'm basing this off of the U18, when that kind of stuff shouldn't be a factor (in league play I can easily forgive amateurs for this).
3. Whoever is making decsions with/for this kid, isn't helping him. I can't remember any prospect so highly touted as him without any firm plans for the future at any point in the entire season leading up to the draft. WTF?

Things that worry me about Boqvist:
1. Concussions
2. Concussions
3. Small
4. He's been pretty blunder prone from what I've seen (not much more than Hughes, but I think more than Hughes and he hasn't recovered nearly as well as Hughes seems to have a knack for cleaning up his own mistakes well)
5. He's looked a little casual at times
6. Hasn't cracked the top levels of competition domestically or internationally (though, he's very young for his class, so I'll give him a bit of a pass)

Things that worry me about Dobson:
1. Nothing really.
2. The above is because nobody ever talks about him. He has zero hype. It seems like noone has ever seen him play. There are zero strong opinions out there on this player.

rt

May 13, 2004
We have a lot of draft threads going with very blurry lines. Can we consolidate? Maybe dump the last handful of the lottery posts into the draft thread and add this poll to it, and just use that thread?

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Things that worry me about Tkachuk:
1. His production sucks for a top five pick, especially one that's old for his class
2. What does the above mean for his ceiling?
3. He's a LHS LW

Things that worry me about Hughes:
1. He plays a wild ass game of hockey. It's amazing to watch, but does it translate to the NHL effectively?
--Will our coaching staff tolerate a kid who wants to take the puck from behind his own net all the way into the offensive zone, go through multiple defenders and cycle around the world for 45 straight seconds without passing the puck at any point? Probably not.
2. He's a LHS LD
3. He's small

Things that worry me about Bouchard:
1. He doesn't have high end mobility
2. He's a low energy player, which really highlights the above
3. It's not unlike Strome's issues in the above two categories (isn't super mobile, takes his time, slows things down), but I'd say to a lesser extent than Strome, but maybe equally concerning because it's more vital at D

Things that worry me about Wahlstrom:
1. Seems to lack urgency, floats a bit, and cheats a bit
2. I'm basing this off of the U18, when that kind of stuff shouldn't be a factor (in league play I can easily forgive amateurs for this).
3. Whoever is making decsions with/for this kid, isn't helping him. I can't remember any prospect so highly touted as him without any firm plans for the future at any point in the entire season leading up to the draft. WTF?

Things that worry me about Boqvist:
1. Concussions
2. Concussions
3. Small
4. He's been pretty blunder prone from what I've seen (not much more than Hughes, but I think more than Hughes and he hasn't recovered nearly as well as Hughes seems to have a knack for cleaning up his own mistakes well)
5. He's looked a little casual at times
6. Hasn't cracked the top levels of competition domestically or internationally (though, he's very young for his class, so I'll give him a bit of a pass)

Things that worry me about Dobson:
1. Nothing really.
2. The above is because nobody ever talks about him. He has zero hype. It seems like noone has ever seen him play. There are zero strong opinions out there on this player.

Thanks! That's a good list of possible detractors for the gents around our draft spot. Man, Chayka wasn't kidding about how picking at this position opens up a lot of possibilities. Not locked in to one player who you HAVE to pick there.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I would think if u draft Wahlstrom that u just put him immediately in the A. I don’t believe he has to go to junior.

Reactions: lanky

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Anyone want to do the positives?

Well, outside of the prospect-talk, we have a decent stable of young players, so with a few tweaks (outside of the draft), we should do fairly well. With that in mind, pick the BPA and if it takes the player a few years (based on some weaknesses), so be it. We have a good balance of players moving forward. It may not be enough to get us to the playoffs next season, but we should come pretty close.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Anyone want to do the positives? Maybe with a comparable?

That would also be fun! I just wanted to see the drawbacks because all of the material I've searched out talked about positives so sometimes it's enlightening to see the drawback as well. Just weigh them so I can figure out where my risk/reward lies.

I recall that Keller was pretty confident in his interview with the Yotes with something along the lines of "draft me and you're drafting the next Patrick Kane" or so on. So I wonder how much that affected the Yotes on wanting him and if they will also be similarly affected by the players here. I'd have to imagine it makes some difference... maybe not a ton but when it's a fine line between a couple players maybe it's the difference.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

rt

May 13, 2004
that list depresses me
Shouldn't. They can't all be 1st overalls.
It's because we are focusing on the negatives rather than the positives of each player. We will get a great prospect unless we really **** it up.
Yep.
Anyone want to do the positives? Maybe with a comparable?
Things I like about Tkachuk:
1. People say he's as good or better than his brother
2. He's got great physical tools
3. He impacts the game in a variety of ways
4. He throws the opposition off their game

Things I like about Hughes:
1. Most entertaining player in the draft to watch
2. Best skater in the draft
3. Creative, unique, sublime talent
4. Great statistical output for a D1, draft eligible, D

Things I like about Bouchard:
1. Most impressive season of any draft eligible player
--Leads entire draft class in scoring
--Captain of a top program in his draft season
2. 60ft stretch passes like nobody else in the business
3. Extremely complete offensive game, with a full arsenal of tools

Things I like about Wahlstrom:
1. Shots junkie - just a fiend for shooting the puck
2. Fantastic shot, full shot selection, can score from anywhere, in all ways
3. Has supreme confidence, and just EXPECTS every shot to go in - wants to be the difference maker
4. Pretty good skater with some pretty flashy moves
5. Great stats

Things I like about Boqvist:
1. Great shot
2. Great skater

Things I like about Dobson:
1. Nobody has anything bad to say
2. He's got a huge from but has great all compass mobility
3. Well-rounded game in all zones, can be a plus player in a wide variety of ways

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
If anyone finds some full games or shift by shift videos of Dobson, Wahlstrom, or Bouchard I'd really appreciate a link, all I've been able to find is highlights for them.

@rt I'd add physical play to the Wahlstrom list, I was shocked to see how many huge hits he threw when I saw some highlights.

rt

May 13, 2004
Comps are tough for me. I'll try my best:
1. Tkachuk - Bigger version of Matt who's more mobile and maybe a little less dynamic offensively

2. Hughes - Even faster, even niftier Tyson Barrie who's shot maybe isn't quite as deadly as Barrie? Maybe Gostisbehere?

3. Bouchard - Hmmm...John Carlson maybe (but maybe a little less mobile)? Weirdly a little like Torey Krug(but obviously much bigger)? This one is a stumper...

4. Wahlstrom - Kieffer Bellows with less brute force and more dipsey-doodle? I'd say Evander Kane without baggage but Kane is again more brute force. I'd say Hoffman, but Hoffman plays less with the puck. Maybe a bigger Skinner with less dynamic skating? That doesn't really do it either. Maybe Toffoli? I don't like that either. I'm bad at these. I'm going to stop right here.

rt

May 13, 2004
If anyone finds some full games or shift by shift videos of Dobson, Wahlstrom, or Bouchard I'd really appreciate a link, all I've been able to find is highlights for them.

@rt I'd add physical play to the Wahlstrom list, I was shocked to see how many huge hits he threw when I saw some highlights.
He's a very strong, physically developed kid who's always got his head up, and has really good short acceleration, so he's got every tool to be a big hitter.

All things considered, I'm starting to lean toward him as my pick at 5. We really kind of have to have a player like him. Might as well be him.

Strome could use him. So could Keller, especially if this Panik thing turns out to be just a fluke (really the most likely scenario - we all liked the late season chemistry with Panik, but would anyone really b surprised if he was in the press box a bunch of times, or waived, or traded with retention for some other project at some point next season?)

Reactions: Yandover

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
He's a very strong, physically developed kid who's always got his head up, and has really good short acceleration, so he's got every tool to be a big hitter.

All things considered, I'm starting to lean toward him as my pick at 5. We really kind of have to have a player like him. Might as well be him.

Strome could use him. So could Keller, especially if this Panik thing turns out to be just a fluke (really the most likely scenario - we all liked the late season chemistry with Panik, but would anyone really b surprised if he was in the press box a bunch of times, or waived, or traded with retention for some other project at some point next season?)
He's got more than just the tools, unless his hits in this tournament were anomalies. There's two back to back at 1:15 in, and two at about 5 minutes in, with a few more dispersed throughout the video.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Here is my stab at comparables:

Tkachuk - Corey Perry with a lower floor but similar ceiling. Both have very punchable faces, lanky and are absolute pest. I think what is making so many scouts and GM's drool is that while Brady didnt have the best season statistically, there is that potential. Between bloodlines, size and IQ if he puts it all together he could be the 2nd best player of the draft. It's a big could though.

Hughes - Gostisbehere is the first player that comes to mind. Makar is the second. This could be the mold of defensemen that the league begins to lean towards.

Wahlstrom - Krieder and Pastrnak. I think this guy could make us go from being a team with very good depth, to a team that causes lineup issues for opposing teams from line 1 to 4. Without a singular elite talent (besides if Keller can be that) this type of depth could win cups.

Boqvist - Yandle with better vision, speed and top IQ. More of a North/South player than Hughes, but the talent is there. Concussions and size are a little scary.

Bouchard - love the Carlson comparison. I see a more modern (as in fitter and quicker) EJ in him too. My biggest issue is that he seems like a POJ clone, but with more offensive insticts. I feel POJ is a Chychrun clone without the top speed and Thor like body. We would have three solid two-way guys, is that too much of one skill set on the same blueline?

Dobson - Admitidly havent watched much, nor done much investigation. He seems like such a vanilla prospect in a group full of guys that have shinning attributes. I get the same feeling from him as I did Joulevi in 16.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
4. Wahlstrom - Kieffer Bellows with less brute force and more dipsey-doodle? I'd say Evander Kane without baggage but Kane is again more brute force. I'd say Hoffman, but Hoffman plays less with the puck. Maybe a bigger Skinner with less dynamic skating? That doesn't really do it either. Maybe Toffoli? I don't like that either. I'm bad at these. I'm going to stop right here.

Poor man's Stamkos?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->