Who can beat the Penguins?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hilarious.

Benefited how? You think it's beneficial to the Penguins' play style to muck it up? They are skilled and fast hockey and are being forced to play the game based on the way it's being officiated. The Penguins do not beat you by obstructing you, but that's 1000% how the Senators do - and that's suddenly legal in the playoffs.

Enforce the rules, BY ALL MEANS, PLEASE ENFORCE THE ****ING RULES! But do it across the entire game, not just when you think your goalie is interfered with.

Give me a break. There's two teams out there hacking and hooking. Try to watch the game with at least a little objectivity and see what your own team gets away with. Karlsson is getting hacked and hooked as much as any of the Pens.
As for the non goal, pushing the goalie into the net to score a goal is one that has to be overruled.
Instead of blaming the refs maybe blame the Pen players. You're not going to win a lot of games when you only score one goal.

Last edited:

jrolley325

Dec 12, 2010
Youngstown, OH
Give me a break. There's two teams out there hacking and hooking. Try to watch the game with at least a little objectivity and see what your own team gets away with.
As for the non goal, pushing the goalie into the net to score a goal is one that has to be overruled. It's a goal that shouldn't count. Penalty calls are missed both ways.

And that's the biggest problem the league has. They don't "miss" them at all though. They see them clear as day, well knowing that's a penalty by the rule book. But always, for the sake of "not wanting to influence the outcome of the game," that's exactly what they're doing. If you have to call 15 penalties a game, so be it. The players will have to adapt. This whole "let em play" (especially in the playoffs) nonsense has to stop.

Imagine an NFL where Antonio Brown or Dez Bryant were allowed to be held and tackled in the middle of their routes without a flag being thrown because of the whole BS philosophy of "letting the players decide the game." It doesn't happen. In that league, a penalty is a penalty whether its in week 1 or the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl. The NHL still doesn't get it.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
And that's the biggest problem the league has. They don't "miss" them at all though. They see them clear as day, well knowing that's a penalty by the rule book. But always, for the sake of "not wanting to influence the outcome of the game," that's exactly what they're doing. If you have to call 15 penalties a game, so be it. The players will have to adapt. This whole "let em play" (especially in the playoffs) nonsense has to stop.

Imagine an NFL where Antonio Brown or Dez Bryant were allowed to be held and tackled in the middle of their routes without a flag being thrown because of the whole BS philosophy of "letting the players decide the game." It doesn't happen. In that league, a penalty is a penalty whether its in week 1 or the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl. The NHL still doesn't get it.

You're preaching to the converted. I 100% agree with everything you said.
Players would adapt if the refs called the game like they did in the season. And the SCF will have even more let go.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ

I think there is some leniency they can add without really affecting the game. For example they can go lighter on the roughing penalties as the intensity level is up. Just not the blatent stuff. Maybe more lenient on the late hits vs the regular season. I'm referring to things they already do.

The rest of the stuff, they can call it like during the regular season. The obstruction, slashing, hooking, cross check, etc.

Maybe I'm not saying it right...
I mean basically they can lighten up certain aspects that relate to the increased intensity and speed.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
well, the Captials or the Senators can beat them. both those series went to 7 games. So no, Penguins are not invincible as some of you guys think. All it takes right now, is Anderson to pull off what he did again in game 6, and done, they won, even if Penguins badly outplay the Sens, if goaltending steals em a game, then they are eliminated.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
When Burrows push MAF glove it was ok to disallow the goal
When its Pens turn though...

Pretty different cases. The Burrows no goal was because of intent to whistle. Daley didn't cause Anderson to fall like he did. He also had Karlsson right on his back pushing him in.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
You cannot interfere with a goalie's ability to make a save. End. Of. Story.

We have seen light brushes on Carey Price called off when he didn't even sell it. Why would you think a stick creating momentum and propelling a goalie into the net of all things would be allowed?

You mean the one where he clearly couldn't smother the puck and it was loose on the side, and the referees blew the whistle?

CCM19

Not Phased
Apr 2, 2015
Pretty different cases. The Burrows no goal was because of intent to whistle. Daley didn't cause Anderson to fall like he did. He also had Karlsson right on his back pushing him in.

Karlsson hardly had anything to do with Daley interfering Anderson. Karlsson had Daley tied up.

possesthepuck

Nov 23, 2013
Kenora Ontario

This. I remember game 5 where Smith was alone in front of the net and he got a chop in the hands from Malkin and couldn't get a shot in. I'm sure Pens have seen similar things happening to there players. It kills offense straight up.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Problem is you have to beat the refs. Pageau interference non call but Dion gets called? Exact same play . Malkin trip and two missed high sticks.

Tired of bs reffing in favor of pens every year. Sickening

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Its typical that Johansen is injured, I think the Preds would have a good chance with him, but now thier C doesnt look great. They did still beat Anaheim, so maybe Johansen isnt so important after all. Of course Rinne need to be able to frustrate Penguins offense.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa
Problem is you have to beat the refs. Pageau interference non call but Dion gets called? Exact same play . Malkin trip and two missed high sticks.

Lol, there's always someone who can't handle losing.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I've been saying NSH for awhile, not reason to stop now.

Losing Johansen REALLY hurts though.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Nashville beat a team with two great centers two games in a row. Sometimes defense/goaltending can withstand the pressure(obviously would be 100x easier if Johansen/Fisher were in the lineup)

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

It was fair. Somewhat. I'm hoping if the pens win they get a boatload of more penalties. Like 3+ in every game

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Its typical that Johansen is injured, I think the Preds would have a good chance with him, but now thier C doesnt look great. They did still beat Anaheim, so maybe Johansen isnt so important after all. Of course Rinne need to be able to frustrate Penguins offense.

All the people saying Anaheim is restoring my faith. Even though Edmonton should have been playing Nash probably beats them as well. Might have taken 7 though

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Until I see them on the wrong side of a handshake line, I ain't betting against them.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Sens could have.
The questions isnt which team "will" but which team "can".
Sens took it to a 2nd overtime in game 7, they certainly could have won.

Pens scored the winning goal seconds after nearly giving up a breakaway on a bad cross-ice pass. That's how close it was.

Has there been any explanation of why 2 Ottawa scoring chances were whistled down because Pittsburgh players looked like they might be hurt?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $250.00