Who can beat the Penguins?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
senators, predators, and ducks

I think that's the correct answer.

In a few days, that list will be shortened to just one team. Either Ottawa is the answer, or the winner of the Nashville/Anaheim series has the opportunity to show they can.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
This is typical overreaction based on the recency of a big win. Games like these happen every now and then. The Sharks did the same to the Oilers, and they didn't even win the series. Hell, even the Sens have had a similar game in this very series.

While the Pens have been better than the Sens for almost every game, I don't think they seem that superior to either the Ducks or the Preds.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
This is not basketball with a large sample size that make it almost certain that a significantly better team would always win.

Not saying that the pens are a significantly better team than how Nashville/Ducks/Sens are playing right now, but even if they were, in hockey any team can beat you 2 time in a row (specially with Anderson in net).

Team Swiss did beat Team Canada in the Olympics.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Can? Any team left in the playoffs can beat the Penguins.

Will? That's a tough one. The Senators look like they're done after tonight. The Predators, who are likely the favorites to come out of the west, are missing Johansen and Fisher. That makes missing Letang not a huge factor against another beat up team missing a core piece. The Ducks are missing Rakell and Gibson, and even if Gibson is back, he has a horrible track record against the Penguins. Will any of those teams beat them? I'm not sure, ask again in a month.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Can? Any team left in the playoffs can beat the Penguins.

Will? That's a tough one. The Senators look like they're done after tonight. The Predators, who are likely the favorites to come out of the west, are missing Johansen and Fisher. That makes missing Letang not a huge factor against another beat up team missing a core piece. The Ducks are missing Rakell and Gibson, and even if Gibson is back, he has a horrible track record against the Penguins. Will any of those teams beat them? I'm not sure, ask again in a month.

Did the Oilers look done after they lost 7-0 against the Sharks?

How about when the Pens lost 5-1 to the Sens? How about when the Ducks lost 7-1 to the Oilers?

These comments are completely ridiculous and you guys should know better than to say them. :shakehead

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

How about when the Pens lost 5-1 to the Sens. These comments are completely ridiculous and you guys should know better than to say them. :shakehead

Yep. Classic overreaction. Pens fans saw it after G3. But realistically 90% of Sens fans knew it was just one game. 90% of Pens fans did, too. But we let these damn 10% start these threads and the bickering goes on and on and on. :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

How about when the Pens lost 5-1 to the Sens. These comments are completely ridiculous and you guys should know better than to say them. :shakehead

The Oilers also weren't down 3-2 after getting blown out against the Sharks. This Senators team also isn't as good as the Oilers, nor are the Sharks as good as the Penguins.

Yep. Classic overreaction. Pens fans saw it after G3. But realistically 90% of Sens fans knew it was just one game. 90% of Pens fans did, too. But we let these damn 10% start these threads and the bickering goes on and on and on. :laugh:

How is that an overreaction? The Sens are down 3-2 to the team that won the cup last year after getting blown out in game 5. Saying "they're likely done after tonight" isn't an overreaction, it's statistics considering the Penguins will likely have around a 75%-80% chance to win the series now.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The Oilers also weren't down 3-2 after getting blown out against the Sharks. This Senators team also isn't as good as the Oilers, nor are the Sharks as good as the PEnguins.

My point still stands. Those type of comments are ridiculous considering the fact that the Pens still haven't won the series.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My point still stands. These comments are ridiculous.

So saying the Senators, who are down 3-2 in a series to the team that won the cup last year and has been playing great ever since they got their starting goalie back, are likely done is "ridiculous"? Hell, even if the Penguins weren't the defending cup champions who just murdered the Senators, saying a team that is down 3-2 in a series is likely done isn't a ridiculous claim to make. Teams up 3-2 in a series win a majority of those series.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
The last time one of these threads came out, the Caps strung together some wins to force 7. Strategic jinx thread?

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
The sens have played far greater than I ever suspected but I still think the series ends Tuesday.

The Sens don't have top end forward talent. That is the problem. I don't think their goalie is that good either.

Andersen's goose is cooked.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Everyone is saying the 3 remaining teams can beat them...sure, if you want to get technical.

Who can and will beat them? Nobody, you heard it here first.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
At this point it's the Ducks.. i just can't see the Preds beating Pens. I mean you have Sid and Geno against.. Jarnkrok and Sissons ?

If the Ducks can still fight back and win the series, they could possibly have a "healthy" roster for the finals, with even Eaves back in the lineup.

But Pens might finally catch a break if the Preds close it out.

Oh and obviously there's still the Sens, it's not looking good, but i guess winning 2 games is possible.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Do you know something about John Gibson's injury that John Gibson doesn't know? Because he said he expects to play game 6.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
Honestly, all three teams can beat the Pens on the scoreboard.

But I do believe the Pens best is better than the other threes best if that makes sense.

Thus, in all actuality the only one that can truly beat Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh.

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
I was going to say anybody if you injure them enough. But they're still there. I suppose anyone still can, especially if the Pens lose consistency but they seem to be more confident with Murray behind them, which helps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad