Who bombs in the first round?

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
The parity in NHL these days makes this tough to call, but could see one of wildcards taking down #1 seed because seeding is skewed.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
Any team could bomb. Hockey is a weird sport. Boston got swept last year. CBJ Swept Tampa few years back. 8th seed LA Kings of the past destroyed everyone in their path. Anything can happen in hockey.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Nashville stonewalling Vancouver would not be surprising
This series should be fun. Whoever wins, I’d be surprised if either team is stonewalled. This isn’t the Preds defensive heavy hockey of old. They play a strong offensive game as does Vancouver. I’d much rather Van play them than the Kings. One, because L.A. absolutely owns us and two, because the hockey should be a hell of a lot more entertaining between these 2 teams.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If Thatcher Demko plays anything close to how he played in the Bubble Nashville will be lucky to win a game.......

Let's see when Demko comes back and if he can continue where he left off before his injury.

This series should be fun. Whoever wins, I’d be surprised if either team is stonewalled. This isn’t the Preds defensive heavy hockey of old. They play a strong offensive game as does Vancouver. I’d much rather Van play them than the Kings. One, because L.A. absolutely owns us and two, because the hockey should be a hell of a lot more entertaining between these 2 teams.

True. This series can go either. It also can go where Nashville is completely unable to contain Vancouver's offense and Quinn Hughes goes berserk on them and its over in five games.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Roman Josi versus Quinn Hughes. This will be a good battle to see which defenseman comes on top in this series.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I kinda agree with the Canucks but Demko has been remarkably consistent and don't get the 'reverts' comment.

I think the issue is more on Vancouver's offense than anything.

Yeah, the Canucks have been one of the top defensive teams this year, and Demko is a god in the playoffs. Vegas blamed Demko's insane play on their players being unable to score against Dallas in the WCF.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Matchups are so hard this year...

Only heavily favoured matchup will be in the East - Boston or Rangers vs the 2nd wildcard. If the division leader loses THAT is bombing out of the 1st round.

It was pointed out Carolina will be heavily favoured vs however crawls into the 3 spot in the Metro.

If the Rangers don't get 2 points against Ottawa Carolina leaps them for the division.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I don't know if losing to the Jets qualifies as bombing. But if there's one series outside of Metro 2/3 or 1 vs. WC2 I'd put money on is Avs/Jets and Avs losing. The mismatch in net is astronomical and I think Geogiev implodes.

I agree that on paper there's a huge mismatch in net. But Hellebuyck has not been great the last few playoffs.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Whoever plays Tampa. Vasi, Hedman, and Kuch are about to go god mode for another run.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
Nashville stonewalling Vancouver would not be surprising
This is just wishful thinking on your part. Nashville is pretty in the middle of the pack in goals allowed, and while Josi is a fantastic defenseman, he's more offensive oriented and shouldn't be counted upon to shutdown the top players.

I'm not saying that Nashville won't stonewall Vancouver, but it would be surprising. I think some closer games with a blowout or two is more likely. Whether Nashville will "stonewall" Vancouver is all on Saros imo, and he's more than capable.

Vancouver hasn't been scoring too much lately, but has been focusing on completely neutralizing rush chances and eating up possession the other way via cycle. We're gearing up for the playoffs style game.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
There aren’t any easy matchups in the West. As a Canuck fan, I don’t know…

We’re 2-0 vs. Nashville, 1-3 vs. Vegas, and 1-3 against LA. So, I guess I’m hoping for Nashville? Seems crazy, but like I said, there aren’t any easy match ups…

Reactions: David71

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
This is just wishful thinking on your part. Nashville is pretty in the middle of the pack in goals allowed, and while Josi is a fantastic defenseman, he's more offensive oriented and shouldn't be counted upon to shutdown the top players.

I'm not saying that Nashville won't stonewall Vancouver, but it would be surprising. I think some closer games with a blowout or two is more likely. Whether Nashville will "stonewall" Vancouver is all on Saros imo, and he's more than capable.

Vancouver hasn't been scoring too much lately, but has been focusing on completely neutralizing rush chances and eating up possession the other way via cycle. We're gearing up for the playoffs style game.

I think if Vancouver has the jitters and they let the nerves get the best of them early on, perhaps they get down early in the series.

And I think Nashville adjusts their game and limit time and space and try to slow down Vancouver on the attack. Because if they try to play wide open with Vancouver, Nashville knows they will get blown out.

So I can see Nashville trying to keep Vancouver to the outside. And Saros could be the key for them if they can limit Vancouver's chances.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
The way playoffs are setup now nobody is really going to bomb, teams are so close nowadays.

Only team I could say would bomb is whoever plays the last east wildcard. And whoever maybe plays Nashville but they have been playing great hockey

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I hope it's Florida as a Leafs fan.

The way playoffs are setup now nobody is really going to bomb, teams are so close nowadays.

Only team I could say would bomb is whoever plays the last east wildcard. And whoever maybe plays Nashville but they have been playing great hockey

I disagree. Because there are perceived favourites to go far. Like if Florida loses in the 1st round, that would be considered a "bomb".

Reactions: Jmo89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad