OT: Who are you cheering for now in the NHL playoffs?

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Not watching any more hockey. Absolutely infuriates me that StL and Dallas are still going and we are out. These first two rounds should have been a walk in the park.
I like seeing underdogs like Carolina and NYI do well though. Columbus too. They went all in and hope it pays off, I'd say just making to second round is an accomlishment already.

Reactions: GNP

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not watching any more hockey. Absolutely infuriates me that StL and Dallas are still going and we are out. These first two rounds should have been a walk in the park.
I like seeing underdogs like Carolina and NYI do well though. Columbus too. They went all in and hope it pays off, I'd say just making to second round is an accomlishment already.
The playoffs are never a guaranteed walk in the park as we have seen all around us. And in all honesty this year is really not much different than most years. There are always upsets and there will always be seasons where top teams underachieve in the playoffs after great regular seasons. Between 96-97 and 07-08 the Detroit red Wings finished 1st in their division 8 times and 2nd 3 times (1 season was lost to a lock out). During that span they won 4 cups, but they were also eliminated 6 times in the 1st 2 rounds. 3 X's in the first round and 3 X's in the 2nd round. So even through a dominant stretch of 11 seasons where they won 4 cups they **** the bed and were knocked out early in the playoffs more than 1/2 the time.

Reactions: iannn

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
It's hard to not pull for Columbus at this point. They went all in. They produced the biggest upset in a long time, maybe ever (first sweep of a president's trophy winner). They're an expansion team from the same era as the current Jets. Never won a series before this year.

I'm also finding it hard to give a shit though. One game a week is pretty much my tolerance for hockey now.

Hems55

Mar 21, 2016
I think I like Columbus too...can't cheer for the west now that we're out! Clean up the BBQ and pass out the beers ladies and gents!

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'd pull for St.Louis, as they've tried for a long time, and there is something to be said about persistence.

I'll likely watch zero games though--and so far I've watched "none."

I'm a Jets fan all the way -- too much of a Homer, to get into other teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jet

Ibanezrokr

Mar 22, 2018
I was going go isles just to stick it to pajama boy, but after recently learning on the main board there that a San Jose and Carolina final could be described as a sharknado, I'm all in on the sharknado.

Reactions: Calendal and Hems55

Hems55

Mar 21, 2016
I was going go isles just to stick it to pajama boy, but after recently learning on the main board there that a San Jose and Carolina final could be described as a sharknado, I'm all in on the sharknado.

Nicely done with Sharknado!

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Penguins were the last team to be in the conference finals two years in a row.

The final four don't usually make it back.

Wrong thread... Canes are winning me over

Reactions: SUX2BU

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Hurricanes and tornadoes are different storms. Sorry to ruin the fun.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
The Leafs and Vegas are out, so I’m happy with anything.

I was pulling for the Islanders because it would look good on Pajama boy but it looks like they are toast so then I wouldn’t mind San Jose - I like Jumbo and want to see him win before he retires.

Don’t really care for the Blue Jackets, Hurricanes or Blues, but won’t be upset if they win. All the others I’m good with.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Whenever the playoffs are raging on, I'm watching hockey. Some of these games are amazingly good!

Boston is an odd team, dominant for a game, then not so much. And so on. As Tuuka goes, so goes that team I think.

Trivia Question: Has the NHL ever before issued an apology to any team for the result of a game prior to this year? :huh:

Ibanezrokr

Mar 22, 2018
Hurricanes and tornadoes are different storms. Sorry to ruin the fun.

Oh I'm completely aware. But at this point I have to be in it for the fun. If that means stretching definitions a little (or a lot in this case) for a good joke I'm okay with it. And to be fair this came up on the realistic logos thread, the logos help the cause.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Stopped watching the second the Jets were eliminated. I used to be an NHL fan when I was a kid but it's such a shitshow of a league I wouldn't give it the time of day.

Love the Jets, hate the NHL.

Reactions: GNP and Channelcat

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Watching for Finnish players: Dallas and Carolina. I would like to see CBJ succeed ’cos of Jarmo..

Often I kinda hope the Finns are eliminated so maybe some of them join WHC, but I don’t think it makes a difference this year.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Dallas

To qualify the statement a bit if my emotional level following the Jets = a spinal tap 11 out of 10.......my Dallas fandom is currently a 1 out of 10 at best. I am happy for friends in the organization but am otherwise pretty meh.

Nov 24, 2006
Once the Jets are out, I’m out. Haven’t watched more than a minute or two since.

That said, I’d be happy if one of the underdogs like the CBJ or Carolina won it.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I understand disappointment - I love the Jets as much as anyone - but I've got to say, this group is salty! :laugh:

Doesn't anyone enjoy the fact that Dallas is actually up on St. Louis (with the great uber child/AHL brawler/gifted-nerves-of-steel-but-he-looks-nervous-clap-clap-clappity-clap Binnington?). Its fascinating what happens to chemistry in certain teams as the playoffs chug along.

I thought St. Louis would roll Dallas, but it hasn't panned out that way.

tumblr_pnekp0Hm2C1xr5mkmo3_500.gif

tenor.gif

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I understand disappointment - I love the Jets as much as anyone - but I've got to say, this group is salty! :laugh:

Doesn't anyone enjoy the fact that Dallas is actually up on St. Louis (with the great uber child/AHL brawler/gifted-nerves-of-steel-but-he-looks-nervous-clap-clap-clappity-clap Binnington?). Its fascinating what happens to chemistry in certain teams as the playoffs chug along.

I thought St. Louis would roll Dallas, but it hasn't panned out that way.

tumblr_pnekp0Hm2C1xr5mkmo3_500.gif

tenor.gif

Going into the playoffs I said my preferred match up was the Preds. I didn’t like the Dallas match up because they had the top goaltending in the NHL this season with Bishop leading the way with a .933 and their backup at a .924. Avoid the hot goalies if you can.

Reactions: kanadalainen

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Blues. Surprisingly nobody really got under my skin (like cry baby Staal last year) and ROR seems like a dude you'd go for beers with. Although I still claim he went down soft into the boards to draw that Copp penalty.

Plus them winning makes Jets look better.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad