Who are the worst commentators in the league?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I love Edwards. He's extremely knowledgeable, and from what I understand, he also works hard to learn more. Yes, he can be a huge homer at times, especially when it comes to Boston's physical play, but he also gives a lot of credit to the other team when they do well. He gets very excited when something exciting happens, regardless of which team does it.

He has flaws, but I think he's my favorite commentator.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Honestly, there are VERY few commentators and play by play guys that are actually good. Most of them say the absolute dumbest **** at a unbearably high rate.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I've been watching the Montreal-LA game, and it baffles my mind how awful the Kings play-by-play guys have been. Monotonous, blatant homers (expected, but it seems to be on another level), getting player names wrong for shifts at a time, several times per period.

Who do you think are the worst commentators in the league?

blatant homers?? try watching any broadcaster from Canada when they're playing an American team.

And did the mont announcer & color guy get all the Kings players' names pronounced correctly?? How would you know?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Jack Michaels and Bob Stauffer. Only two worse than Drew Remenda, IMO.

Jack and Bob are totally foolish when calling a game. I don't know how many times I've hear Bob talk about some random ****ing stat about some opposition player's junior career or where the kid played Midget... Jack does the same sort of thing, but usually only about Edmonton's players.

"Moving right to left, Nugent-Hopkins with the puck. Nugent-Hopkins, a former Red Deer Rebel, Burnaby, BC native, spent 4 years at XYZ High-school, focusing on his hock- and the Canucks have tied the game off of a one-timer from the point!"

Not even exaggerating, this has happened MORE than I can count on one hand. That's pathetic for a Radio PBP guy.
I had to listen to Michaels for the first few minutes of last night's game. In that time he called no more than ten seconds of game action and the rest was spent telling stories and giving stats. It's impossible to follow the game if you're not watching on TV.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Worst PBP- Jeff Rimer - Columbus Blue Jackets
Best Local PBP - Jack Shorthouse - Vancouver Canucks
Best Local Analyst - Ray Ferraro - Edmonton Oilers
Best National Studio Analyst - Anson Carter
Most Missed - Team - Gary Thorne and Bill Clement
Hardest to take serious but entertaining nonetheless - Jeremy Roenick
Most entertaining without a need to take serious - Don Cherry
Most Overrated - National - Doc Emerick
Most Overrated - Local - Jack Edwards
Guy that most earns his $$$ - Ron MacLean
Guy that least earns his $$$ - Doug MacLean
Biggest Blowhard - Pierre McGuire
Analyst I want on my side when all hell breaks loose (tie) Jody Shelly & Rob Ray
Guy I wish called more hockey (similar to Most Missed) - John Buccigross
Analyst w/ best shoe story - Mike Milbury
Studio host I wonder how the hell he got his job - Liam McHugh

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
In defense of Edwards...

He's technically very, very sound. He changes pace, volume, and pitch. He gets player IDs and pronunciations correct. He keeps up with the play. He's not overly repetitive, he does his homework, and the work he puts into his broadcasts clearly come through. And, he's not nearly as biased as some would have you believe. As others have pointed out, he gets excited when other teams score, and he and Brickley can be very hard on the Bruins.

I don't think anyone would rip him if he were calling say... a Panthers/Red Wings game.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Altitude (with the exception of Rycroft during intermission) would make you believe the Avalanche are a pretty good team. They probably have the worst job in the NHL right now.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Edwards is awesome.

Cangialosi makes me wanna hurt myself. Not just saying that because I'm a Rangers fan. Daneyko is great IMO.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
dislike: LA's Tampa Bay's and Arizonas broadcasting teams.

Like St Louis and New Jerseys broadcasting teams

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Analyst I want on my side when all hell breaks loose (tie) Jody Shelly & Rob Ray

Needs Steigerwald

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
Best in the business is Potvin.

"The only time he points his fingers is to lick the peanut butter off the bread..."

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Romanuk is ****ing awful.

This. No idea how this guy was hired to do the games of such a huge market. Sportsnet took something(HNIC and Bowen) that was working and tweaked it for absolutely no reason. And I'm not even a huge fan of Bowen but Romanuk not only calls a terrible game, he has a terrible voice. Sounds like he has bronchitis.

Reactions: SoupaTroupa

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Romanuk not only calls a terrible game, he has a terrible voice. Sounds like he has bronchitis.

He's also stupid. When he tries to make conversation between whistles, or for that matter during the play as he often does, he makes some of the dumbest statements or questions for his colour commentator.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Pens TV team especially Steiggy. On the flip side, the Pens just played the Stars the other night and their TV team has to be the best or at least one of the best.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Pens announcers. The whining for penalties is a joke, the soft hockey they rave about is a joke. It's not even close. These are the guys that DEFENDED BROOKS ORPIK AND JAMES NEAL.

Jack Edwards is a homer but that guy LOVES intense hockey. So does Ricky J and Mickey Redmond. They are absolute homers, but they LOVE a good hockey game. And SO DO I!:)

Anything with Eddie O. is a close second. If you aren't raving about Patty Kane or Toews or a Hawks player gets hit, he's literally pissed. He whines so much it's disgusting.

Bob Cole is awesome. That guy just gives it an old school, exciting feel. No matter how boring the teams are. Love it.

If you root for Orpik and Neal, you automatically get the worst announcers in the league.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Bill Clement is God awful no matter who he is with.

John Buccigross, as much as I like his passion for the game, is pretty terrible as a play by play guy.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Astonished there's no mention of Butch Gohring

He's mind-blowingly bad. Gets every name wrong, either by mispronouncing it or thinking it's someone else, and talks 59842 times a period about how they need to chip and chase more.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
In defense of Edwards...

He's technically very, very sound. He changes pace, volume, and pitch. He gets player IDs and pronunciations correct. He keeps up with the play. He's not overly repetitive, he does his homework, and the work he puts into his broadcasts clearly come through. And, he's not nearly as biased as some would have you believe. As others have pointed out, he gets excited when other teams score, and he and Brickley can be very hard on the Bruins.

I don't think anyone would rip him if he were calling say... a Panthers/Red Wings game.

Edwards grinded it out for years with ESPN, doing soccer games and random hockey games ( back when hockey night on ESPN2 was a thing ). I actually remember on a message forum I use to frequent before this one in '00/01, I brought up the suggestion of Jack Edwards being the Bruins PBP guy. Regardless of the team/game he was calling for, he always told a great story in the mold of an old school taught radio guy and I appreciated that.

Getting the Bruins gig was a dream come true for Edwards - who grew up in New England as a Bruins fan. The homerism people hear is genuine - but so isn't the passion in his voice for when he sees a good hockey play. That type of homerism ( Buffalo's RJ has it too ) I don't mind - they're catering to their fan base and the team that employs them and I can respect that. What I can't stand is the smug d-bag kind of homerism like the Pittsburgh crew, who are probably the most ignorant in hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad