Who are the worst commentators in the league?

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
I've been watching the Montreal-LA game, and it baffles my mind how awful the Kings play-by-play guys have been. Monotonous, blatant homers (expected, but it seems to be on another level), getting player names wrong for shifts at a time, several times per period.

Who do you think are the worst commentators in the league?

Yeah the kings guys were pretty bad lol
I figured this thread was started becasue of that

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Listening to Wild broadcasts makes me the most sick to my stomach. I could be missing something, though.

Nashville's are awful, and Anaheim is pretty bad too.

Anaheim's another I really hate. And Kings.

For pleasant surprises, I really enjoyed Blues commentary.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Whoever did the LA feed tonight... guy clearly knows nothing about hockey and doesn't have a clue what the players names are, terrible.

SaltyKesler

Sep 3, 2015
Vancity
Pittsburgh's commentators just annoy me, the pbp guy yells goal or scores for 5 seconds but when the opposing team scores he sounds like he's depressed and wants to get it over with, I don't get how they even have jobs working the mic!

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Drew Remenda. Absolutely crap colour guy. He mumbles, he's not that bright and he speaks like he's some kind of authority. He's sounds like Gramp Simpson with his blathering.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Every local announcer for every team that isn't yours.

[/thread]

If a local announcer isn't showing bias to the team that they're covering they're not doing their job -- which is to sell/market the team that they're covering. Fans of the other team are not the target audience and even arguably most "neutral" fans are not the target audience as they're likely a fan of another team.

The announcer should make you care about the team they're calling the game for. They should make you want to cheer for the team they're calling the game for. That's their job. If you're a fan of the opposing team, then of course you're going to dislike them, it's a natural and predicable reaction, but then again, you're not their target audience.

Steigerwald is probably the worst of the worst though, low emotion + inaccurate play-calling. If I wasn't a Bruins fan I certainly wouldn't be a Pens fan, he doesn't make you care about the game at all.

Tom Collins

Aug 26, 2013
Jack Michaels and Bob Stauffer. Only two worse than Drew Remenda, IMO.

Jack and Bob are totally foolish when calling a game. I don't know how many times I've hear Bob talk about some random ****ing stat about some opposition player's junior career or where the kid played Midget... Jack does the same sort of thing, but usually only about Edmonton's players.

"Moving right to left, Nugent-Hopkins with the puck. Nugent-Hopkins, a former Red Deer Rebel, Burnaby, BC native, spent 4 years at XYZ High-school, focusing on his hock- and the Canucks have tied the game off of a one-timer from the point!"

Not even exaggerating, this has happened MORE than I can count on one hand. That's pathetic for a Radio PBP guy.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Edwards is massively underrated. He's cheesy in an enjoyable way and generally shows excitement when the opposing team scores. He's one of my personal favorites.

Dallas guys are classic. Pulling for Dave Strader.

Foley from Chicago is fun but dragged down by Olcyzk. Love his "and a suaaave" calls.

Winnipeg PxP guy is excellent IMO.

Like the Detroit guys. Redmond is hilarious to me for whatever reason.

Even though I despise the Caps, Joe B and Laughlin are very good.

John Forslund (Carolina) is arguably the best in the biz.

The Minnesota guy is horrendous. Complete homer who sounds like a family member died when a team scores on the Wild.

The Panthers are really bad. They legit cheer the Panthers on and have no personality when doing so, unlike the Red Wings duo who pull it off (I used to dislike Redmond immensely but there's something about him I've grown to love). Potvin sounds like a drunk idiot. Mentioning them, I should mention New Jersey too, because I'm not even sure if they're all different people because they both are the same: annoying, high pitched PxP guy and drunk former players doing color.

And, of course, the golden standard of bad announcers: Steigerwarld and Errey.

Some HMs: Jim Fox, color guy for LA. Has this incredibly annoying upward inflection after everything he says. Eddie Olcyzk, although mostly biased on my part because he's ******** about the Rangers in 94 and I'm a Rangers fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nsjohnson

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Arizona's are awful. Remenda for the Oilers is awful. Hrudey is often an unbearable homer for the Flames.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Every local announcer for every team that isn't yours.

[/thread]

If a local announcer isn't showing bias to the team that they're covering they're not doing their job -- which is to sell/market the team that they're covering. Fans of the other team are not the target audience and even arguably most "neutral" fans are not the target audience as they're likely a fan of another team.

The announcer should make you care about the team they're calling the game for. They should make you want to cheer for the team they're calling the game for. That's their job. If you're a fan of the opposing team, then of course you're going to dislike them, it's a natural and predicable reaction, but then again, you're not their target audience.

Steigerwald is probably the worst of the worst though, low emotion + inaccurate play-calling. If I wasn't a Bruins fan I certainly wouldn't be a Pens fan, he doesn't make you care about the game at all.

Difference between beeing a little biased and beeing a total idiot like the Bruins announcers can be. Why do you want the game to be called with extreme bias? Its not fun and they arent selling the market by beeing overly biased? They make themself look like idiots.
I really enjoy the announcers that call the game without beeing overly biased and actually say that was the right call when its the right call against your team. Why should they be biased when they call the game? I fully understand that the team he announce for is the priority in terms of talking about different players, the coaches etc etc during the game. Thats fine and thats not beeing biased, thats selling the team they are covering.
You arent biased when your player highsticks an opposing player in the face and the announcer say "thats a weak call, he sold it and it shouldnt have been a penalty". Thats not beeing biased, thats called beeing wrong.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
I don't get most comments on here. I want announcers as biased as they possibly can. I want them screaming when their team scores and angry when the opponent scores. Nothing worse than unbiased play by play. Changes an exciting game into a emotionless snoozefest.

Reactions: Score8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad