Speculation: Who are the top candidates to replace Chia?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Is it plausible that the Bruins and Oilers are negotiating over a player or players instead?

Just throwing it out there.
Oilers owe Bruins. Second rounder. Bruins want player.

So deal one Chia for 2nd pick. On paper.

Deal two, Bruins player "X" plus said pick back to Oilers for Oilers player "Y" ?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Is it plausible that the Bruins and Oilers are negotiating over a player or players instead?

Just throwing it out there.
Oilers owe Bruins. Second rounder. Bruins want player.

So deal one Chia for 2nd pick. On paper.

Deal two, Bruins player "X" plus said pick back to Oilers for Oilers player "Y" ?

For all intents and purposes Wally, the pick is non-negotiable. Either the Bruins accept the pick or they don't.

I won't guess at how the league polices your plausibility - and to what extent the NHLPA gets involved (after all it involves player movement so they'll have a voice) but that seems to me like negotiating an non-negotiable matter.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
For all intents and purposes Wally, the pick is non-negotiable. Either the Bruins accept the pick or they don't.

I won't guess at how the league polices your plausibility - and to what extent the NHLPA gets involved (after all it involves player movement so they'll have a voice) but that seems to me like negotiating an non-negotiable matter.

Ok, wait a minute.

The other day, wasn't there a bunch of talk about EDM owing the B's compensation for Chia, and the B's owing compensation to the Rangers for Gorton...so the possibility existed that EDM could just negotiate with NY and leave Boston out of it?

I asked the question the other day (and it was never answered), why would one NHL team even allow another team to negotiate for them? If I'm the B's and it's not cut and dried with no negotiation (which is not what is being said now), I would try to get the best deal possible for Chia and then pay less for Gorton, not let EDM and NY talk (which makes zero sense).

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Ok, wait a minute.

The other day, wasn't there a bunch of talk about EDM owing the B's compensation for Chia, and the B's owing compensation to the Rangers for Gorton...so the possibility existed that EDM could just negotiate with NY and leave Boston out of it?

I asked the question the other day (and it was never answered), why would one NHL team even allow another team to negotiate for them? If I'm the B's and it's not cut and dried with no negotiation (which is not what is being said now), I would try to get the best deal possible for Chia and then pay less for Gorton, not let EDM and NY talk (which makes zero sense).

What I said the other day has nothing to do with what I said here because the Bruins have not hired Gorton. I don't think you get what I said.

IF the Bruins were to hire Gorton:

The Oilers could send X to NY for future considerations, In return the Rangers make a deal with Boston to waive compensation for Gorton IF they would waive compensation for Chiarelli.

There are two deals: Edmonton and NYR is one, the other is NYR and Bos. In the end it becomes Edmonton gets Chiarelli for X, NYR get player X for Gorton, and Bruins get Gorton for Chiarelli.

That's not leaving Boston out of it. They'd still have to waive their right to a pick.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
What I said the other day has nothing to do with what I said here because the Bruins have not hired Gorton. I don't think you get what I said.

IF the Bruins were to hire Gorton:

The Oilers could send X to NY for future considerations, In return the Rangers make a deal with Boston to waive compensation for Gorton IF they would waive compensation for Chiarelli.

There are two deals: Edmonton and NYR is one, the other is NYR and Bos. In the end it becomes Edmonton gets Chiarelli for X, NYR get player X for Gorton, and Bruins get Gorton for Chiarelli.

That's not leaving Boston out of it. They'd still have to waive their right to a pick.

Personally, I don't think the Bruins are going to hire Gorton, so it's a moot point.

However, I completely understand what you are saying. My question is if the league is being specific on compensation, it means they don't want to deal with a bunch of BS and are going to make it as black and white as possible. It seems to me that a 3-way deal with one team waiving compensation and then a 3rd team getting involved is just making matters even more complicated.

Here's another way less complicated idea:

EDM gives BOS a 2nd round pick in one of the next 3 years.

If Boston hires Gorton, they give NY a 2nd round pick in one of the next three years.

EDM and NY never talk.

Done.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If Boston hires Gorton what is the earliest we can get him?

you think he gets the same title as Chia in Edmonton?

love to see the Bruins trade for McIlrath. Saw him the other night in Providence and he is one nasty sob- would be a great replacement for mcquiad likely leaving

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If Boston hires Gorton what is the earliest we can get him?

you think he gets the same title as Chia in Edmonton?

love to see the Bruins trade for McIlrath. Saw him the other night in Providence and he is one nasty sob- would be a great replacement for mcquiad likely leaving

I just asked that question in another thread. Surely they can`t be permitted to speak to a candidate who is actively working with an organization still playing can they?

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
I just asked that question in another thread. Surely they can`t be permitted to speak to a candidate who is actively working with an organization still playing can they?

I believe they can but they need the other teams permission. What I have read, from other posters on here, is that Slats would let them interview but would not allow Gorton to be interviewed while the Rangers are still playing. Not gospel, just what I have gathered from the board.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I believe they can but they need the other teams permission. What I have read, from other posters on here, is that Slats would let them interview but would not allow Gorton to be interviewed while the Rangers are still playing. Not gospel, just what I have gathered from the board.

thank you

just getting a bit impatient

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Does Edmonton definitely owe compensation for Chia? I would figure since the B's fired him that in doing so they would have waived all rights to compensation for his departure, no?

Three Dog

Apr 12, 2015
Apparently the leafs are talking to Gorton

I had read speculation that the leafs want to, but it was mentioned (can't recall where I read it) that the Bruins had already made that attempt, so they'd have to wait on account of the Rangers denying any talks at this time. (to anyone)

.....has that changed?

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
from herald:

Rangers GM Glen Sather told the New York Post yesterday he won’t be granting teams permission to speak with Gorton while the Blueshirts are still involved in the Stanley Cup playoffs. Sather might not even allow Gorton to talk to the Bruins after the Rangers’ season is over.

“I haven’t given permission to anybody to speak to anyone and I won’t as long as we’re playing,†Sather said. “And there’s a question whether I would, anyway, after it’s over.â€

The 71-year-old Sather could well have Gorton in mind to be his successor, but if Gorton has been given any kind of assurances of that happening, it has not been made public.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/boston_bruins/2015/05/rangers_hold_back_gorton

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It has always been one of those unspoken rules that if personnel are offered a promotion from another team, they are allowed out of their contract. If Sather denies Gorton the opportunity to talk to other teams for a GM position, he pretty much would have to promote him to that position in NY, otherwise nobody is going to ever want to work for him.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Unless the salaries are miles apart, I can't see how Gorton goes Leafs over Bruins. Would you? Man that Leafs situation is bad. One of the worst spots in the NHL right now. All the pressure, mostly bad assets, high taxes. Yuck.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
It has always been one of those unspoken rules that if personnel are offered a promotion from another team, they are allowed out of their contract. If Sather denies Gorton the opportunity to talk to other teams for a GM position, he pretty much would have to promote him to that position in NY, otherwise nobody is going to ever want to work for him.

You're right Joe. It was a 'given' until Harry reached out to Chia.

I remember Sinden going nuts for that very reason when the Sens wanted compensation.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Unless the salaries are miles apart, I can't see how Gorton goes Leafs over Bruins. Would you? Man that Leafs situation is bad. One of the worst spots in the NHL right now. All the pressure, mostly bad assets, high taxes. Yuck.

I possibly would... Chiarelli really screwed his heir by extending Julien, Smith, and refusing to trade Soderberg and adding Talbot at the deadline. Now we're left with an average draft pick instead of a top 10 pick and no cap space.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You're right Joe. It was a 'given' until Harry reached out to Chia.

I remember Sinden going nuts for that very reason when the Sens wanted compensation.

G-Dub, it's been like that in every sport for as long as I can remember, until the instance you pointed out with Melnyk, who has a reputation of being kind of a dink. Good news for Gorton is that now he's pretty much guaranteed a GM job, just a question of which franchise :D

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006

Sather has to be in his early 70s at this point, right? It sounds like he trusts his support personnel with orchestrating trades (McDonough he admits he just made the call on, didn't line up the pieces). Maybe he is ready to be less day-to-day GM...?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I possibly would... Chiarelli really screwed his heir by extending Julien, Smith, and refusing to trade Soderberg and adding Talbot at the deadline. Now we're left with an average draft pick instead of a top 10 pick and no cap space.

I think this is a big stretch.

Many GM's don't like lame duck coaches in place and I doubt Chia knew he was going to get canned when he extended Clode. Neely may have told him at the deadline to preserve assets, but there is no way he was going to force Chia to trade players, as they were still hoping to make the playoffs. I didn't like the timing or the $$ of the Smith extension, but I'm guessing this was Chia making good on a handshake agreement, going back to the beginning of the year when Smith and Krug signed those cap-friendly one year deals? Talbot at $875k is not an issue as long as he takes over Kelly's role.

Agree with the moves or not, I don't think there was any malice involved on Chia's part or an attempt to screw his successor.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
G-Dub, it's been like that in every sport for as long as I can remember, until the instance you pointed out with Melnyk, who has a reputation of being kind of a dink. Good news for Gorton is that now he's pretty much guaranteed a GM job, just a question of which franchise :D

Question: Harry could you give us some more detail on why it got to this point, specifically to the draft pick as compensation and the July 15th start date. What was the crux of the issue?

Harry Sinden: The crux was the dispute between the two clubs as to whether or not some type of compensation was mentioned by our law to Boston in the initial call and the initial request by Boston to speak to Peter. The dispute was that Ottawa felt there was, and Boston said there was not. And the bylaws called for this type of thing to be in writing, not only spelling out any compensation, but spelling out the permission of the team to allow us to talk to Peter or any other candidate. And there were others that were working with other teams. That is not always endeared to by any of the teams in the league. It is sometimes and it isn’t in other times. In other words, if I called up Nashville or Anaheim and asked to speak with their assistant GM about the job here, it is just as liable to be ok and it would end there. The bylaw says that it has to be in writing. What happened here was, we didn’t put it in writing. We didn’t initiate it, and Ottawa is part of the problem because they are supposed to put it in writing as well, so we went through and got to the end of this process and found out that there was a dispute as to whether there was compensation or not. The commissioner had to come in and arbitrate and/or mediate.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=447203

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

All 4 names we're mocking at our pick I put on par with the names at #11-12. Btw a top 10 was never in the cards for us, not sure how you think we could have tanked that low with our roster.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

What would the compensation be like if Sather promotes him and he pulls a Belichick -- resigning in NY and then signing in Boston?

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
All 4 names we're mocking at our pick I put on par with the names at #11-12. Btw a top 10 was never in the cards for us, not sure how you think we could have tanked that low with our roster.

Quite easy, you trade Soderberg, Smith, Marchand for picks and prospects at the deadline. You plug in Griffith, Ferlin, Khokhlachev. You work your way up at the draft and you now have cap space for major moves and signings in the off-season, and you can go back at contending for a cup.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Quite easy, you trade Soderberg, Smith, Marchand for picks and prospects at the deadline. You plug in Griffith, Ferlin, Khokhlachev. You work your way up at the draft and you now have cap space for major moves and signings in the off-season, and you can go back at contending for a cup.

And you do that while holding down a playoff spot in a year where ownership said it's playoffs or bust? Remember when they missed the playoffs, they did indeed fire Chia. He was indeed GM'ing for his hockey life. I don't know what planet you live on where he could unload bodies for picks there at the deadline. Proof is in the pudding man, he missed and got canned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad