Speculation: Who are the top candidates to replace Chia?

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Ha! In a way, I'm dreading the draft. IMO, Crowse has bust written all over him, and I have a bad feeling that we'll select him to replace Lucic down the line (especially if we don't give him 7x7).
Haha :) Whatever team gives Lucic 7x7 is going to regret it for a long time.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Right, that's what I said though. They made the changes. Got some new guys in there. But those guys were fired for what they couldn't do from 2007-2010. Not from there on though. Which has looked pretty decent by comparison.

Let's hope so, because they whiffed hard during that span. Badly. :laugh:

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Sure, but they've pretty much turned over that staff for doing a bad job, right?

Benning is gone, too. There's a poster on here who appears to be in-the-know that suggested that he was the main one making the picks, starting in 2007/2008, and Wayne Smith just recommended some of the players, as opposed to actually making the picks. If true, good riddance. Go ruin Vancouver's drafts.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Benning is gone, too. There's a poster on here who appears to be in-the-know that suggested that he was the main one making the picks, starting in 2007/2008, and Wayne Smith just recommended some of the players, as opposed to actually making the picks. If true, good riddance. Go ruin Vancouver's drafts.

I heard that to

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
He didn't treat this deadline as one would expect from a GM on the chopping block. I think a lot of posters who hate Chia are going to have to suffer at least one more year. I'd add Claude to that list as well.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
po11xxlj403.jpg

OldFESeides

May 15, 2014
Since we are on the subject on who would take over. The other question I have is when does ownership say enough is enough and finally cut Chia off?

Do they give him to the end of this season? summer? one more season?

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Just remember the rule change for next season (that existed in the past)

Hire someone from another organization and its going to cost compensation in the form of a draft pick - second round for some of the names I see here

Dom, can you shed some light on what the hold-up is with the Edmonton compensation pick? Is it related to us getting financial relief or not (from Chia's remaining salary)?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Dom, can you shed some light on what the hold-up is with the Edmonton compensation pick? Is it related to us getting financial relief or not (from Chia's remaining salary)?

Bruins are only responsible for paying Chiarelli the difference in what he earned in Boston and what he'll earn in Edmonton.

My understanding is he signed a 4 year deal with the Oil where he had a 3 year deal with the Bruins. And he also takes on the title of President so I doubt he's earning less.

Maybe the Oiler's want to negotiate some sort of $$ from the Bruins if they have to give up a pick?

I don't think anyone really knows.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Bruins are only responsible for paying Chiarelli the difference in what he earned in Boston and what he'll earn in Edmonton.

My understanding is he signed a 4 year deal with the Oil where he had a 3 year deal with the Bruins. And he also takes on the title of President so I doubt he's earning less.

Maybe the Oiler's want to negotiate some sort of $$ from the Bruins if they have to give up a pick?

Thanks!

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

Thank you for saying this.

Even though I have no idea why this thread was bumped other than Colt wanting to bump his own thread considering there is already one going on the main board, this one comment helps me realize that nobody really knows the situation right now.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Thank you for saying this.

Even though I have no idea why this thread was bumped other than Colt wanting to bump his own thread considering there is already one going on the main board, this one comment helps me realize that nobody really knows the situation right now.

ha! I was rereading through this thread because there is some really interesting speculation here about Chia/Gorton and the 2006 draft then I got caught up asking Dom a question and bumped it ---so sue me (or put it into the other thread). I guess I should have just PM'd Dom, but I imagine he gets far too many of those already and it is better if he can answer a question publicly ONCE rather than 50 people PMing him the same question.

On a related compensation note--the compensation for Chia is supposed to be the Habs 2nd this year, but I also wonder if part of the hold-up is Chia knowing he wants to bring in Julien as well and Chia doesn't want to shell out for him again with another pick so instead they are looking at the Bruins waiving the picks and working the compensation into a deal instead. Seems plausible considering Chia will likely have his favourites that he will want to bring over to Edmonton.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I guess I can say it in this thread as well...

Fluto could be right, but personally I think there was some sort of disconnect between Chia and Clode this year. I would be surprised if Clode ended up in EDM, because of that and the compensation.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I guess I can say it in this thread as well...

Fluto could be right, but personally I think there was some sort of disconnect between Chia and Clode this year. I would be surprised if Clode ended up in EDM, because of that and the compensation.
Unless....unless...the reason why the compensation for Chiarelli is taking so long is because maybe EDM wants to use that compensation to get Claude.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Unless....unless...the reason why the compensation for Chiarelli is taking so long is because maybe EDM wants to use that compensation to get Claude.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

:laugh::laugh:

That would be sweet if they got both Claude and Chia for the Oilers own 2nd rounder --that will be like a late 1st compared to the Habs pick which could be a late 2nd rounder.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012

That would be sweet if they got both Claude and Chia for the Oilers own 2nd rounder --that will be like a late 1st compared to the Habs pick which could be a late 2nd rounder.
I know this guy won't be complaining :laugh:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

The compensation for Julien at this point of the season (off-season when it comes to this coach) is a third round pick so we are looking at a 2nd and a 3rd.

There seems to be some debate as to whether that second round pick can be the Habs pick or it has to be the Oilers pick. Haggs' NHL sources tell him it can be the Habs pick, my NHLPA source says it has to be the Oilers own pick.

Brad asked me via twitter whether section 10.4 of the CBA applies to this scenario. Section 10.4 clearly states that you can NOT use attained picks as compensation and that it must be the teams own pick. You can however re-attain your own original pick and that can be used as compensation. I believe the Leafs did that prior to them acquiring Phil Kessel so that the threat of an offer sheet was perceived to be real.

I pointed out to Brad that particular section refers solely to compensation for signing restricted free agents to an offer sheet. He then asked whether it was logical for the NHL to use the same rules throughout when it comes to compensation.

My response: When has the NHL ever done anything logical?

Again, no one knows really what the negotiations are about. Some are speculating its over what year the pick will be (one of the next three drafts). But that is strictly the Oilers choice. Why would they negotiate that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad