Speculation: Who are the top candidates to replace Chia?

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
This is the weakest area for me as a hockey fan --knowing who is all out there.

Personally, I go back to Gorton --he was a big part of the insane core that Chia inherited (drafting Bergeron, Marchand, Lucic and Krejci as 2nd rounders and later will win you a Cup) and got more positive things done in a few weeks and 1 draft than Chia has done his whole tenure.

Sadly, that isn't hyperbole.

I would think that it sure would feel good for Gorton to replace Chia ie. the guy that took the job that should have been his originally and then cut him out of a job.

I'm so sick of Julien's boring hockey and Chia's inability to do obvious tasks that I am not putting a dime into this team next year without a change to the F.O.

Back on track, who are the candidates?

EDIT: TIME TO RECALL GORTON!!

Last edited:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
This is the weakest area for me as a hockey fan --knowing who is all out there.

Personally, I go back to Gorton --he was a big part of the insane core that Chia inherited (drafting Bergeron, Marchand, Lucic and Krejci as 2nd rounders and later will win you a Cup) and got more positive things done in a few weeks and 1 draft than Chia has done his whole tenure.

Sadly, that isn't hyperbole.

I would think that it sure would feel good for Gorton to replace Chia ie. the guy that took the job that should have been his originally and then cut him out of a job.

I'm so sick of Julien's boring hockey and Chia's inability to do obvious tasks that I am not putting a dime into this team next year without a change to the F.O.

Back on track, who are the candidates?

Gorton
Don Sweeney
Ray Shero

that's my shortlist

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
HF Boards.

1. Weekly meetings with Neely.
2. Fan votes on each trade proposal put forward by the other GM's.
3. Contract negotiations with the agent and the fanbase on Skype.
4. CapGeek back online.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Ray Shero

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Jeremy Jacobs' first choice/interview back in 2006 for the vacant GM position, was Ray Shero?
If so, why did that interview or talks fall through?
Compensation? Control? Crosby cup?
I can't remember why he went with Mario.. Any ideas?

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
He got offered a job in Pittsburgh with Crosby and Malkin and chose to go there (and won a Cup). I've heard he is lined up to take over in Ottawa but it isn't signed in blood yet.

I wish you had posted this in my thread about GM candidates because I had kind of forgot about him --but he is for sure an option.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Jeremy Jacobs' first choice/interview back in 2006 for the vacant GM position, was Ray Shero?
I would think starting with Crosby and Malkin can make a job more enticing? Considering I loathe the penguins, there can be no other reason. Lol

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I guess we should throw Shero's name out there --can't think the brass felt too good about him turning them down though to go somewhere else.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
He got offered a job in Pittsburgh with Crosby and Malkin and chose to go there (and won a Cup). I've heard he is lined up to take over in Ottawa but it isn't signed in blood yet.

I wish you had posted this in my thread about GM candidates because I had kind of forgot about him --but he is for sure an option.

Thanks Colt. I didn't see the thread.
If a mod is reading this thread, can you merge this one with Colt's thread.
Thanks.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
HF Boards.

1. Weekly meetings with Neely.
2. Fan votes on each trade proposal put forward by the other GM's.
3. Contract negotiations with the agent and the fanbase on Skype.
4. CapGeek back online.

Excellent idea.

Or just let Dom be GM. His better half will tell him when he's making a mistake.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
I know he is currently with Flames, but Brian Burke would be good here. I belueve I gave read that he always wanted Boston..

I will see if i can find article on it.

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
I know he is currently with Flames, but Brian Burke would be good here. I belueve I gave read that he always wanted Boston..

I will see if i can find article on it.

I like Burke a lot, and I like him the most far away from the Bruins front office.

MOOKER411

Nov 13, 2009
KERROBERT, SASK

You are correct.

The one thing he has ove Chiarelli is that he IS willing to make a move. I don't compleely agre withh all of his choices either i.e. - Trading James Neil to Nashville for Hornquist but at least he took a swing.

I remeber the days when Chiarelli took a swing and sent Wideman to Florida for Horton. Worked out well I thought. You are on deck Peter...take a swing or you are outta here.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I guess we should throw Shero's name out there --can't think the brass felt too good about him turning them down though to go somewhere else.

Well, they did sign Iginla a few months after he did the same thing for pretty much the same reason.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Promote from within Sweeney and Neely together take over all of PC's duties. Thin out the front office too many chiefs not enough indians.

Shero or Gorton are fine with me.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I've heard Gorton has been groomed to take over for Sather, but it seems like Glen Sather will continue to keep smoking cigars and GMing away for another decade, no?

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Really, really good point. :handclap::handclap:

They didn't hold a grudge against him and it helped. Highly doubt we're close to the President's Trophy with Damien Brunner as our 1st line winger. Shero is/was a good GM, he got fired because the Pens didn't do as well as they should, and they needed an overhaul in management, maybe what we need if we continue to struggle. For years he made some excellent trades, always bolstered his team at the trade deadline. Wouldn't be against it.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
If they go down that road:
Gorton
Shero (tried to hire him once)
Feaster (turns out he did a good job in Calgary)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad