Who are some good potential General Manager candidates out there?

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
Gillis would be a good choice. He's a former PA so he knows how to negotiate well and built really good teams in Vancouver.

He could do wonders for the Leaf's goaltending drama... :sarcasm:

Just ask Lou, he's in the same time zone now as the Leafs. Gillis pissed away the best goaltending duo in the NHL and hired Torts who tried to use his best offensive players as meat-shields against the opposition. This was of course after he fired the coach who just faced off against the Stanley Cup Champions in last year's playoff series final.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Doug Weight would make a great coach or GM someday.

Hard worker and very knowledgeable about the game.

He lives And breathes hockey and loves the game.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
First thought was Mark Hunter, because I read it as up-and-comers instead of re-treads.

You could do worse than George McPhee. Despite the hate he got in Washington, the team was very good for a while.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Really do think Ray Shero is still a great GM, but Morehouse, and Dan Bylsma may have persuaded him to be as large of idiots as they are.

His drafting track record isn't great, but that could be partially on the scouting staff. Definitely his fault for letting the forward situation get so out of hand.

Overall, a master of making great in-and-off-season aquisitions/trades. With a top-notch scouting staff, he could be really good somewhere.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
First thought was Mark Hunter, because I read it as up-and-comers instead of re-treads.

You could do worse than George McPhee. Despite the hate he got in Washington, the team was very good for a while.

His drafting record was pretty solid.

I feel everybody hates on him because of the Forsberg trade. They forget he was GM 97-14 which included a finals appearance in 98. Thats almost 20 years running the same team, unheard of in sports in this day and age.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
His drafting record was pretty solid.

I feel everybody hates on him because of the Forsberg trade. They forget he was GM 97-14 which included a finals appearance in 98. Thats almost 20 years running the same team, unheard of in sports in this day and age.

That Erat trade is very ironic. At the time, many Caps fans thought it was a desperate move to try to save his job. Now it may be a reason he lost his job and may hurt his chances of finding another.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Between Stan Bowman, Tallon, Chevaldayoff and Bergevin I'd say Norm Maciver is long overdue for a job. Some think he is running the Hawks now.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Now it may be a reason he lost his job and may hurt his chances of finding another.

Really? Cause one bad trade shouldn't spoil all the years he's been in the business, with the noted 16 years as GM.

Leonsis had to sign off on the trade and the scouting staff said Forsberg would be a weak skater and they were concerned about his skating ability so the blame shouldn't rest on GM. But I guess when your the figurehead it does.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
He would be like my 8th choice or lower.

He started off with a treasure chest full of assets so his success is overrated. And after 2009 there wasn't much success after mid-April.

Yeah, considering he had two of the 3 best players in the game and could only get it done once, he should be banished.

projexns

Matchups Matter
Mar 5, 2002
Forsling, OK
Visit site
Yea, maybe if the team is already stocked with top draft picks and some of the best players in the world.

Gillis would be a good choice. He's a former PA so he knows how to negotiate well and built really good teams in Vancouver. GMGM and Futa would also both be good, especially with scouting.

I’m old-fashioned. I prefer proven results. There are 7 or 8 perceived contenders every year, not to mention that 8th-place teams like Los Angeles in 2012 can also win Cups in a salary cap era, so I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion that any team is a given to win a Stanley Cup. Gillis and Futa might one day get to two Stanley Cup finals and win one of them, presuming they ever get hired. Shero has already done it.

Every team drafts and develops their own talent and signs UFA’s. What can put a team over the top is shrewd trades and that’s what Shero excelled at. He was the type of guy that you’d shake hands with and then afterwards make sure you still had your wallet.

He never lost sight of being strong down the middle, on the blue-line and in goal (yeah I know, Fleury.) He did the typical trade deadline moves of moving futures for immediate help. But he also managed to build those assets back up by getting multiple players back for single players when you would’ve thought that the negotiations would’ve ended without that extra piece getting thrown in.

James Neal for Alex Goligoski was already a win for the Penguins. Getting another player back just added to the win. That the extra player was a defenceman back that turned out to be better than Goligoski (Niskanen) made it even bigger. How many trade negotiators would’ve been satisfied with Neal-for-Goligoski and called it a day? He turned a trade into a theft.

Getting the prize at the 2008 deadline (Hossa) for a bunch of assets that are not presently NHL players. Hossa moved on but Shero got that one extra asset thrown into the deal, Pascal Dupuis, who has remained a useful player for the Pens up until this year.

Trading Ryan Whitney for Kunitz and getting a good prospect, Tangradi thrown into the deal. Identifying that Whitney wasn’t as good as perceived, and getting a very solid, Cup winning winger was already a solid win. The prospect never panned out, but it was an extra asset acquired when most probably would’ve stopped negotiating after the two principals of the deal were agreed to.

When Jordan Staal could no longer be kept, another decent 3rd-line center was acquired in Brandon Sutter who’s lower cap-hit was a good fit for a team with Crosby-Malkin at 1-2 down the middle.
He also got two extra assets, d-man Brian Dumoulin and the 8th overall pick used to select d-man Derrick Pouliot, and with Pouliot’s potential looking very promising, this looks like it could go down as another solid win trade-wise.

Presumably a team that is firing a GM isn’t a very good one. They are lacking in quality assets. These kinds of trades are examples of how Shero can build up and improve the asset base of a team over time.

Shero’s faults could also be listed. He might be loyal to a fault. But intelligent people can learn from their mistakes so that the next time around, they are even better than they were before.

He would be like my 8th choice or lower.

He started off with a treasure chest full of assets so his success is overrated. And after 2009 there wasn't much success after mid-April.

Who would be those seven or eight choices?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Norm Maciver (Hawks Assistant GM)

Bowman has already had 2 Assistants poached. I wouldn't be shocked to see Norm follow in next couple offseasons

Between Stan Bowman, Tallon, Chevaldayoff and Bergevin I'd say Norm Maciver is long overdue for a job. Some think he is running the Hawks now.

That is one of the most absurd things I have heard

And never once heard it from anyone but you

DyerMaker66*

I’m old-fashioned. I prefer proven results. There are 7 or 8 perceived contenders every year, not to mention that 8th-place teams like Los Angeles in 2012 can also win Cups in a salary cap era, so I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion that any team is a given to win a Stanley Cup. Gillis and Futa might one day get to two Stanley Cup finals and win one of them, presuming they ever get hired. Shero has already done it.

Every team drafts and develops their own talent and signs UFA’s. What can put a team over the top is shrewd trades and that’s what Shero excelled at. He was the type of guy that you’d shake hands with and then afterwards make sure you still had your wallet.

He never lost sight of being strong down the middle, on the blue-line and in goal (yeah I know, Fleury.) He did the typical trade deadline moves of moving futures for immediate help. But he also managed to build those assets back up by getting multiple players back for single players when you would’ve thought that the negotiations would’ve ended without that extra piece getting thrown in.

James Neal for Alex Goligoski was already a win for the Penguins. Getting another player back just added to the win. That the extra player was a defenceman back that turned out to be better than Goligoski (Niskanen) made it even bigger. How many trade negotiators would’ve been satisfied with Neal-for-Goligoski and called it a day? He turned a trade into a theft.

Getting the prize at the 2008 deadline (Hossa) for a bunch of assets that are not presently NHL players. Hossa moved on but Shero got that one extra asset thrown into the deal, Pascal Dupuis, who has remained a useful player for the Pens up until this year.

Trading Ryan Whitney for Kunitz and getting a good prospect, Tangradi thrown into the deal. Identifying that Whitney wasn’t as good as perceived, and getting a very solid, Cup winning winger was already a solid win. The prospect never panned out, but it was an extra asset acquired when most probably would’ve stopped negotiating after the two principals of the deal were agreed to.

When Jordan Staal could no longer be kept, another decent 3rd-line center was acquired in Brandon Sutter who’s lower cap-hit was a good fit for a team with Crosby-Malkin at 1-2 down the middle.
He also got two extra assets, d-man Brian Dumoulin and the 8th overall pick used to select d-man Derrick Pouliot, and with Pouliot’s potential looking very promising, this looks like it could go down as another solid win trade-wise.

Presumably a team that is firing a GM isn’t a very good one. They are lacking in quality assets. These kinds of trades are examples of how Shero can build up and improve the asset base of a team over time.

Shero’s faults could also be listed. He might be loyal to a fault. But intelligent people can learn from their mistakes so that the next time around, they are even better than they were before.

Who would be those seven or eight choices?
Agree. I don't really get the hateon for him.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
5Y5rNlW.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad