Who are some good potential General Manager candidates out there?

Scarbarian*

Dubas...eventually. He'll need an experienced assistant.

I would love to see him become a Leafs GM in 1. 5 - 2 years. But I'm afraid Shanahan or whoever is running presidency around that time might get rid of him or keep him at a low level job.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I would love to see him become a Leafs GM in 1. 5 - 2 years. But I'm afraid Shanahan or whoever is running presidency around that time might get rid of him or keep him at a low level job.

He's an assistant GM, not a photocopier lol.

Not exactly a low-level job.

Scarbarian*

He's an assistant GM, not a photocopier lol.

Not exactly a low-level job.

I didn't mean in that way, I just feel that within 2 years, he should be ready for a GM job but perhaps whoever is running the Leafs presidency( most likely Shanahan or the next guy) could probably fire him if they are planning to overhaul the whole management or possibly keep him just where is or demote his role further.

I am obviously not saying this is what it will exactly go like or even hoping for such a thought but considering how everything's been with Leafs, who knows.

I certainly hope not and have high hopes for Dubas and would love to see him eventually take full time GM duty with the Leafs.

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011
Pat Quinn? I thought Canucks fans loved him more than any GM.

Like Gillis, the late Pat Quinn did a lot of good early on, team made the finals with him as GM, but presided over a steep decline late in his tenure. He was being unable to replace Kirk McLean after his play fell off. Capped off by overpaying He Who Must Not Be Named in free agency which led to a complete blow-up and rebuild. Quinn's work at building the early 90s team probably still gets him to "top GM" status though, and indeed he's in the Canucks Ring of Honour.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I didn't mean in that way, I just feel that within 2 years, he should be ready for a GM job but perhaps whoever is running the Leafs presidency( most likely Shanahan or the next guy) could probably fire him if they are planning to overhaul the whole management or possibly keep him just where is or demote his role further.

I am obviously not saying this is what it will exactly go like or even hoping for such a thought but considering how everything's been with Leafs, who knows.

I certainly hope not and have high hopes for Dubas and would love to see him eventually take full time GM duty with the Leafs.

I think Mark Hunter will be the next Leafs GM. So that means he has a window of 3-4 years before he's run out of town and Dubas can take over.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

I believe Dubas was brought in to learn the ropes for a bit as he's being groomed for a larger role. They didn't hire him to stick as an assistant IMO. He's there to replace Nonis, which may happen sooner then expected.

SchennSational1022*

Brisebois is the best candidate IMO, he's been looked at numerous times for openings past few years. Though he won't have Al Murray there to help him draft anymore..

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Like Gillis, the late Pat Quinn did a lot of good early on, team made the finals with him as GM, but presided over a steep decline late in his tenure. He was being unable to replace Kirk McLean after his play fell off. Capped off by overpaying He Who Must Not Be Named in free agency which led to a complete blow-up and rebuild. Quinn's work at building the early 90s team probably still gets him to "top GM" status though, and indeed he's in the Canucks Ring of Honour.

"He Who Must Not Be Named" love that :laugh:

I believe Dubas was brought in to learn the ropes for a bit as he's being groomed for a larger role. They didn't hire him to stick as an assistant IMO. He's there to replace Nonis, which may happen sooner then expected.

Then why would Hunter leave the Knights to be an assistant GM? Sure its the NHL but he co-owns and is the GM of the Knights, so why take a step down?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If I were the Leafs, I'd try to get Trevor Timmins from Montreal. The Leafs' GM job won't have final say anyway, so why not go for a guy who is among the best in the business at identifying talent?

jimmyemery

Dec 20, 2014
Idk who alls left in the front office with experience there, but id be willing to bet someone will get pilfered from Detroit to run a team.

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
Any potential GMs outside of North America? I don't think the first European GM Kekalainen is doing a horrible job.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
A lot of people credit Rangers assistant GM Jeff Gorton with Sather not sucking anymore. He's a future full-time GM for sure.

SchennSational1022*

A lot of people credit Rangers assistant GM Jeff Gorton with Sather not sucking anymore. He's a future full-time GM for sure.

I give credit to the Rangers resurgence the past few years to Vigneault way more than I do to Sather. Sather has still made some blunders past few years but it's masked by their success, due to a great coach (kind of like Holmgren and Laviolette).

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
This one will be controversial, but I hope Darcy Regier gets another shot. He has made some nice trades for us. Maybe not GM, but Assistant GM maybe?

I don't know why suggesting him would be controversial but I always bring him up when this thread comes along. His situation in Buffalo was very strange. Going from a penny pinching owner to an oil billionaire who only wants to see his childhood team win.
Considering the resources he had for most of his tenure(video scouting, seriously) he did a good job building them and keeping them competitive. While he kept his "Rochester Core" too long he was able to identify that the team needed to be rebuilt and he gave Tim Murray a good head start there.
I know the Darcy haters from Buffalo like to point to his terrible drafting in the first round when he first started but once he was given an actual scouting staff his drafting improved a lot. Could've also been Kevin Devine helping call the shots.
Either way I think he would be a good candidate for any team but he seems to enjoy his role with Arizona.

Shorthander

Apr 2, 2011
Unlike Burke and Nonis--Gillis does not have a good reputation

Burke has a good reputation? I guess if you want a loud mouthed, egocentric GM who will trade lottery picks and try to fast track a rebuild around an inconsistent winger, then he's your man.

Dave Nonis has done literally one thing positive as a GM in acquiring Roberto Luongo. The rest consists of trading picks for mediocre-to-terrible players and giving Clarkson a laughably terrible contract.

Gillis has his share of screw ups but I doubt a former GM of the year, as voted by his peers, has that bad of a reputation.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I give credit to the Rangers resurgence the past few years to Vigneault way more than I do to Sather. Sather has still made some blunders past few years but it's masked by their success, due to a great coach (kind of like Holmgren and Laviolette).

We almost won the Presidents Trophy under Torts. AV has only been with the team a year and a half.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Futa. He got a lot of interviews for GM roles. I would say feaster, but I feel more than anything Todd Button, director of amateur scouting for the Flames, is more responsible for the great group of young Flames players than Jay Feaster.

Came here to say Futa

God no, stay away from Futa. He sucks and shouldn't be even considered for a GM job, like, ever. :sarcasm:

We will hunt you down and kill you if you suggest this again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad