Who are some good potential General Manager candidates out there?

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Feaster is with the Bolts, "Executive Director of Community Hockey Development", and seems to love it. I am sure they would release him if a GM job was offered and he wanted it.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
just wait for Kyle Dubas to get more experience, he's gonna be good for us.

Aceonfire*

I don't get the Feaster comments.

I doubt teams have forgotten the ROR fiasco.

Or the reach pick on Jankowski.

He wasn't the worst GM but his decision making was questionable.

At least the Hartley hire looks good in hindsight.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Daryl Sutter was not fired by Ken King, but instead he was allowed to tender his resignation. Sutter came into the Flames with no AGM and he was a coach and a GM to start things off and did a pretty good job. Things started to turn when he was trying to compete for a cup at the cost of Flames future.

He deserves another shot IMO. He built a team with a lot of good pieces, but he made the mistake of hiring his brothers over better and more worthy candidates. Flames had, at one point, the best D line up in the league: Reghre, Bouwmeester, Phaneuf, Giordano, Sarich.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax

RoR was a mistake; but I think many are willing to look past it as an accident. I'm sure GMs in general will observe the CBA much more closely.

Jankowski **** storm was a joke. At most it was a reach; but many knew he was a candidate to go in the late first/early 2nd.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole

ROR he could have taken the NHL's decision to mediation given the wording of the documentations on re-entry into the NHL for RFAs who played overseas. And Jankowski was who his scouts and assistant GM wanted, he had no choice but to stick by it. I actually think it's a positive that he's willing to step aside and let them do their jobs, rather than undermine their influence. It's a team effort, he knows his role and their roles, his strengths and weaknesses, and he understands that he has to fill his part before everyone else's.

I've met Kyle Dubas before though, and he's definitely a person who'll be a GM at some point in his career. Starting to see a lot of young savvy managers in sport, and he's leading the charge for hockey.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Daryl Sutter was not fired by Ken King, but instead he was allowed to tender his resignation. Sutter came into the Flames with no AGM and he was a coach and a GM to start things off and did a pretty good job. Things started to turn when he was trying to compete for a cup at the cost of Flames future.

He deserves another shot IMO. He built a team with a lot of good pieces, but he made the mistake of hiring his brothers over better and more worthy candidates. Flames had, at one point, the best D line up in the league: Reghre, Bouwmeester, Phaneuf, Giordano, Sarich.

Doubt Sutter wants to leave coaching a two-time cup champ in the last 4 years and one of the league best teams.

I've met Kyle Dubas before though, and he's definitely a person who'll be a GM at some point in his career. Starting to see a lot of young savvy managers in sport, and he's leading the charge for hockey.
I swear to God he's hockey's Theo Epstein. Young guy who starts off early and learns a ********, ultimately becomes of the leagues best GMs.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Mark Hunter and Kyle Dubas are both primed to get GM roles eventually.

As for previous GM's in the NHL I'd be inclined to give Shero a shot and see what he can do with a different team.

TheLowKreider

Aug 4, 2009
Jeff Gorton is probably the next Rangers GM when Sather decides to hang em up. If I remember correctly the Penguins had some interest.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Gillis to TO would be awesome just to make it an official cycle, but unfortunately what I recall hearing early on was that he was only ever interested in the Vancouver job.

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl
I've always thought Brisebois from Tampa could probably be a good GM elsewhere.

In a recent interview in Montreal (less than a week old), he said he would be listening very carefully if a NHL team had a position for GM open.

I wouldn't like it, as a Hab fan, to have him in Toronto ;) but I'm sure he'll be someone to turn this franchise around.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Doubt NYR ever give him up. Just like how Holland was groomed by Devallano to secede him, Gorton is presumably being roomed by Slats.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but since Gorton came on board with the Rangers, HFNYR has been hilarious.

Every time the FO makes a move a poster agrees with he goes:

"Oh, you can really see Gorton's influence with this signing/trade/etc..."

And every time the FO makes a move a poster disagrees with he goes:

"Oh, what the ****, Sather? Up to the same old BS as usual"

It's quite entertaining.

Anyway, I'm a good GM candidate. Just haven't been given my shot, is all.

Keefe is gonna get a shot somewhere soon in one team's FO. Probably only saying that since I just finished HOCKEY CONFIDENTIAL, though.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
I think Howson wouldn't be that bad. He built a decent team in Columbus.

I am sure he would love to bail on the Oilers.

For all the flak he got at the time, Howson wouldn't be that terrible of a choice.

I think he's a good asset manager (trades, FA signings, ok drafting), maybe overly patient in a position doesn't afford patience. Seems like a pretty dry guy on the Public Relations side and at dealing directly with players/coaches. I could see him working as GM if the team had another person representing the organization who is responsible for communications with fans, media and overseeing players and coaches.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think he's a good asset manager (trades, FA signings, ok drafting), maybe overly patient in a position doesn't afford patience. Seems like a pretty dry guy on the Public Relations side and at dealing directly with players/coaches. I could see him working as GM if the team had another person representing the organization who is responsible for communications with fans, media and overseeing players and coaches.

That's a pretty good description of how I feel about Howson as well. I feel like he's got better assets to work with in Toronto though, so such patience won't be QUITE as big of an issue.

JoinTheArmia

Jun 12, 2013
This one will be controversial, but I hope Darcy Regier gets another shot. He has made some nice trades for us. Maybe not GM, but Assistant GM maybe?

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Another vote for Mike Gillis, definitely the best GM the Canucks ever had. It was time for some new blood and there's some idiosyncrasies with Gillis. But that guy can architect a hell of a hockey team.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Keefe is gonna get a shot somewhere soon in one team's FO. Probably only saying that since I just finished HOCKEY CONFIDENTIAL, though.

Agree about Keefe. He did a fantastic job with Pembroke in the CCHL (Junior A) and was owner/GM/coach, so he knows all the aspects about a team. Doing a decent job with the Greyhounds as well.

Its good he separated himself from the whole Mike Danton-Dave Frost situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad