Speculation: Who are our rivals now?

MISC*

Well, it seems the days of being able to compete with the Hawks, Kings and Ducks are over.

Our rivalry with Calgary died long ago. Kassian trolls the Oilers well, but nothing builds from it.

Playing the Bruins is fun, but it happens once a year, two if we're lucky.

Do we even have any real rival right now?

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Still think considering the battles we had last year Calgary is still up there. Before last season, I would have said the Kings but they are clearly on a different level than us right now.

I think it'll be San Jose/Calgary moving forward as long as the Oilers are stuck in The Twilight Zone.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Calgary and Edmonton for sure. Anaheim. Maybe Phoenix (fkn Hanzal).

Kings and Hawks has tapered off.

PS I'm a noob, so maybe have a different perspective.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
Still think considering the battles we had last year Calgary is still up there. Before last season, I would have said the Kings but they are clearly on a different level than us right now.

I think it'll be San Jose/Calgary moving forward as long as the Oilers are stuck in The Twilight Zone.
I always thought the battles against Calgary were more of Torts vs Hartley....

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Let's all not forget Dank lying motionless on the ice in the last game of the season... and Hartley screaming in a silenced Rogers Arena about a penalty call.

Calgary.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
For this season and likely next?

The other mediocre teams hoping to just get into the playoffs as a 7th/8th seed in the West. People will stay hate the Kings and Hawks, but those teams are a tier above. Kind of like how fanbases like the Wild for example hated the Canucks when our team were perennial contenders and they were just hoping to get into the playoffs. It was a more one-sided hate and as a result, not an actual rivalry.

Hopefully after that some of the current prospects are ready for more prominent roles and have developed while some of the veterans haven't fallen off of a cliff yet.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Well, it seems the days of being able to compete with the Hawks, Kings and Ducks are over.

Our rivalry with Calgary died long ago. Kassian trolls the Oilers well, but nothing builds from it.

Playing the Bruins is fun, but it happens once a year, two if we're lucky.

Do we even have any real rival right now?

Competitors for the 8th playoff spot.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
The Ducks and #17.

This is about as close as it would get. That first game will be a real good indication on if RK17 burned his bridges in the dressing room. Imagine if he and Bieksa square off?

Hockey-wise it won't be much of a rivalry though; Ducks are contenders and we're just trying to stay relevant.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Seems like whenever we're in LA and Calgary we end up in brawls. Maybe that was just Torts and might not carry on.

Once Calgary starts finishing their rebuild I could see us and them getting in some pretty big rivalries like the times Iginla was in Cowtown.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
This is about as close as it would get. That first game will be a real good indication on if RK17 burned his bridges in the dressing room. Imagine if he and Bieksa square off?

Hockey-wise it won't be much of a rivalry though; Ducks are contenders and we're just trying to stay relevant.

I don't know if they'd go, but if they did, I think Juice speed bags him.

Ubik

Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver
Same as always, Flames and Oilers: and whoever is in our way in our Division. So most likely the Sharks hate heats up, and we always will hate the Ducks and Kings as well.

Other teams we will still hate even though they do not come through often, Leafs, Bruins, Hawks and Habs.

HankieDankie

Feb 24, 2012
Vancouver

No way, Kesler knows better than to drop the gloves with Juice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad