Speculation: Who are our rivals now?

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
The potential futures of the Flames and Oilers concern me as a Canucks fan. As it stands right now, both teams are extremely likely to finish in the bottom 5 of the league again this season. You have to think that the chances of one or even both of these teams landing McDavid and/or Eichel is going to be extremely high.

I shudder to think what one of those centers forming a 1-2 punch combo with Monahan as the 2nd line center will be like. Even scarier, is the idea of McDavid or Eichel centering Hall and Eberle in Edmonton.

If there is one team right now that could possibly follow in the footsteps of Pittsburgh and Chicago if they got one more franchise player, I think it's Edmonton.

I think Edmonton's roster is a mess, too easy to play against. They have to grow a set of balls and start moving some of their prized pieces to make that team better. I think Calgary would be better off landing Hanifin, they already have a one two of Monahan and Bennett which is solid, they have some decent winger prospects, kinda thin on D. Calgary needs two more years of sucking and they'll be set, Oilers need to make some big bold moves and they could turn that ship around fast, but they won't.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
could be anyone, at this point

if Colorado can put up 112 pts last year after a 67-pt pace season the year before ...anything's possible

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
could be anyone, at this point

if Colorado can put up 112 pts last year after a 67-pt pace season the year before ...anything's possible

Big difference is the Avs had a lot of really really good young players...

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
this is Edm current lineup, from capgeek

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Taylor Hall ($6.000m) / Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ($6.000m) / Jordan Eberle ($6.000m)
Benoit Pouliot ($4.000m) / Boyd Gordon ($3.000m) / Teddy Purcell ($4.500m)
David Perron ($3.813m) / Anton Lander ($0.600m) / Nail Yakupov ($0.925m)
Matt Hendricks ($1.850m) / Mark Arcobello ($0.600m) /
Jesse Joensuu ($0.950m) /
Luke Gazdic ($0.800m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Nikita Nikitin ($4.500m) / Mark Fayne ($3.625m)
Andrew Ference ($3.250m) / Jeff Petry ($3.075m)
Keith Aulie ($0.800m) / Martin Marincin ($0.730m)
GOALTENDERS
Viktor Fasth ($2.900m)
Ben Scrivens ($2.300m)
BUYOUTS
Eric Belanger ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,217,500; BONUSES: $2,990,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $8,782,500

and this is Calgary's

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Jiri Hudler ($4.000m) / Matt Stajan ($3.125m) / David Jones ($4.000m)
Mason Raymond ($3.150m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.500m) / Brian McGrattan ($0.750m)
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Sean Monahan ($0.925m) /
Brandon Bollig ($1.250m) / Paul Byron ($0.600m) /
Johnny Gaudreau ($0.925m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dennis Wideman ($5.250m) / Mark Giordano ($4.020m)
Ladislav Smid ($3.500m) / Deryk Engelland ($2.917m)
Kris Russell ($2.600m) / T.J. Brodie ($2.125m)
GOALTENDERS
Jonas Hiller ($4.500m)
Karri Ramo ($2.750m)
BUYOUTS
Shane O'Brien ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $50,436,667; BONUSES: $1,775,000
CAP SPACE (19-man roster): $18,563,333

I just dont see us being near as bad as either, esp with Miller in net and our blueline, which even after losing Garrison has a top 4 better than any single guy on those clubs, save for Giordano

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
We're not better.... Danny hasn't been as good with his injuries and Sedins overall have taken a step back, as well as Burrows... We're a team that can't score and I don't see how that's going to change? What has Vrbata done outside of the Yotes? Canucks roster got easier to play against and weaker on face offs and defensive play, I personally think Luongo > Miller so I don't think we're as good in net as last year either.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
We're not better.... Danny hasn't been as good with his injuries and Sedins overall have taken a step back, as well as Burrows... We're a team that can't score and I don't see how that's going to change? What has Vrbata done outside of the Yotes? Canucks roster got easier to play against and weaker on face offs and defensive play, I personally think Luongo > Miller so I don't think we're as good in net as last year either.

well, last year wasn't Luo the whole time, but i agree, goaltending shouldnt make a huge difference

its all about the sedins bouncing back and the kids having an impact
the D and G should be solid, so we have a shot at staying in games and giving the kids some structure (ie not getting blown out too much ...hopefully)

still, we may not be better than last year, but we should still be better than those teams

I see Phx/Dallas/SJ/Minny as the teams we'll be fighting with for the last PO spots

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
well, last year wasn't Luo the whole time, but i agree, goaltending shouldnt make a huge difference

its all about the sedins bouncing back and the kids having an impact
the D and G should be solid, so we have a shot at staying in games and giving the kids some structure (ie not getting blown out too much ...hopefully)

still, we may not be better than last year, but we should still be better than those teams

I see Phx/Dallas/SJ/Minny as the teams we'll be fighting with for the last PO spots

Dallas, SJS and Minny are much better than the Canucks, I don't see how this team is in talk for the playoffs, sounds like Oiler fans of the past talking about how this will be the year they make the playoffs. Sedins game has been sliding for a few seasons now, I don't think they bounce back at this stage in their careers, reminds me a lot of Naslund and I've said this since we signed them to those gross contracts.

I think Oilers forward group is better than ours but our d better than theirs, Calgary plays a hard game, the type of game that will push this team back, we lost our only grit in the top 6 with Kesler and never replaced it. This team is soft again, will have scoring issues as I don't see who will put the pucks in the net and our center and defensive play with the forward group is a bit concerning... Sedins, Vey, Bonino, Kassian, Vrbata aren't really defensive players and that makes up most of the top 9, outside of Kassian that's also a pretty soft group.... I don't see how we can really say we're better than the Oilers or Flames? We were on their level of suck last season with Kesler... Without Kesler I think we're closing that gap.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Dallas, SJS and Minny are much better than the Canucks

I agree with this as well.

I don't see San Jose dropping nearly as much as people think, and I also think Dallas and Minnesota are both trending upwards........and are more than capable of upsetting the 'giants' of Chicago, Anaheim, LA, and St. Louis come playoff time.

Having said all that................I think there is hope for this Canucks team in terms of making the playoffs.

I am NOT sold on the Colorado Avalanche. At all. I think the loss of Stastny will hurt them more than people realize. O'Reilly and MacKinnon are both on the verge of superstardom, but the loss of Stastny will no longer shelter them, in terms of a veteran player taking on roles and responsibilities to shield the kids.

O'Reilly and MacKinnon will be expected to increase their roles and responsibilities this year, and as talented as they are, I think that's a little too much to ask of a 19 and 21-22 year old. Matt Duchene can only do so much, and I also think that Iggy's age will show even moreso this year.

I also think there are a lot of questions marks on D and in net, and I don't see the Avs getting the same level of consistency in net as they did last year (call me a bigot, but I almost never trust the pysche's of Russian goaltenders........and Varmalov does seem like a headcase).

My prediction is that the Canucks finish 8th this coming season, before bowing out in 5 games to one of St. Louis or Anaheim.

hackey

Oh Did I Offend You
Aug 18, 2003
That's Too Bad
Visit site
The principal sports rivalries are usually set by geography and frequent games more than anything -- they don't shift every year depending on the standings.

It will likely be the Alberta teams for a long while yet, no matter how good or bad anyone is.

No, rivalries are developed in the playoffs

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
The potential futures of the Flames and Oilers concern me as a Canucks fan. As it stands right now, both teams are extremely likely to finish in the bottom 5 of the league again this season. You have to think that the chances of one or even both of these teams landing McDavid and/or Eichel is going to be extremely high.

I shudder to think what one of those centers forming a 1-2 punch combo with Monahan as the 2nd line center will be like. Even scarier, is the idea of McDavid or Eichel centering Hall and Eberle in Edmonton.

If there is one team right now that could possibly follow in the footsteps of Pittsburgh and Chicago if they got one more franchise player, I think it's Edmonton.

I feel like I've heard this before... Must have been sometime in the past 10 or so years over which Edmonton has been a total dog's breakfast.

Last edited:

MrShift4

GRRRR.......Babe
Aug 17, 2011
Calgary
Judging by the internet I would say it is internet fans. This team doesn't rile up anyone like fans that post on spots like this.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
No, rivalries are developed in the playoffs
Hockey cliché that is rarely true -- those are the fleeting rivalries that lead to threads like this. It's not really a rivalry if you're searching for a new one every 2 years. The real ones are because of geography. When was the last time Calgary and Edmonton met in the playoffs? The Islanders and Rangers? The Yankees and Mets? The Steelers and Browns?

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I just dont see us being near as bad as either, esp with Miller in net and our blueline, which even after losing Garrison has a top 4 better than any single guy on those clubs, save for Giordano

Raymond will score 50 goals this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad