Who are on the Mount Rushmore of this millennium?

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
He has same number of Harts and Lindsays as Crosby, with 2 more Art Ross wins.

(Crosby has 2 Rockets and 2 Smyths on him).

McDavid is starting to get up there.

Putting regular-season-McDavid on it is ridiculous. Absolutely zero proof that McDavid can replicate his regular season play when it matters the most. The greats are made in the playoffs, not the regular season.

And ya. "Team game blah blah blah", but no one is saying "team game" when they going off about his Art Ross and Harts. He won those all on his own apparently. No help.

Frankly, I'd put Chris Kunitz on it before McDavid.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Putting regular-season-McDavid on it is ridiculous. Absolutely zero proof that McDavid can replicate his regular season play when it matters the most. The greats are made in the playoffs, not the regular season.

And ya. "Team game blah blah blah", but no one is saying "team game" when they going off about his Art Ross and Harts. He won those all on his own apparently. No help.

Frankly, I'd put Chris Kunitz on it before McDavid.

I like the way you think!

Crosby, Kane, Ovi, KUCH

Reactions: PensPlz

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
I’d like to point out that Pronger has 10ish seasons to consider. I’d put him at roughly the same spot as Broduer for this argument.

chum

Feb 27, 2002
ovechkin for goal scoring
one of crosby/mcdavid - i'm NOT saying they are equals, but i feel in the future people will pick one out of these 2
lidstrom for now - he's the best so far, but half of his career is in 90's. there's a chance for a greater defenseman (whose entire NHL career is in year 2000's) to come around in the next 80 years
brodeur, or leftover of crosby/mcdavid - just because i feel like we need to have a goalie here. but I think it's very likely that a super goalie comes around in the next 80 years.

chances are 2 or 3 of these players get replaced in the next 80 years. i and most of us will never find out. ; )

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
You had to absolutely ruin a point about great players needing to win... by punctuating it with ridiculously asinine horseshit.
4 time Stanley Cup winner. Gold Medal Winner. Double OT ECF game winning goal. 4 30+ goal seasons. Was over a PPG in 2013. Was a gritty honey badger that bulldozed Timonen that one time...

Chris Kunitz has quietly had a really good career. A true team guy. A true winner.

If McDavid continues to never get close to a cup, I would take the career of Kunitz over McDavid.

I like the way you think!

Crosby, Kane, Ovi, KUCH
I actually wouldn't argue too much with that.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Phil the Thrill and his 3 amigos (in no particular order):

Nathan's
Oscar Mayer
Ball Park

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I would say none. A Mt. Rushmore should be reserved for all time greats of some sort. We had so far some players who will be first-ballot HOFers but we have that every generation. We have some people who have won a Hart trophy or so, but so does every generation. There are a couple of players who may be a tier or two near, but no one clearly who makes it.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
4 time Stanley Cup winner. Gold Medal Winner. Double OT ECF game winning goal. 4 30+ goal seasons. Was over a PPG in 2013. Was a gritty honey badger that bulldozed Timonen that one time...

Chris Kunitz has quietly had a really good career. A true team guy. A true winner.

If McDavid continues to never get close to a cup, I would take the career of Kunitz over McDavid.

I actually wouldn't argue too much with that.
Yeah because Chris Kunitz was the main difference maker on those teams.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I guess the question is how much does post season play count? I'm not talking kunitz but when you look at mcdavid vs kuch reg plus postseason...do you just ignore the playoffs?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Lmfao. "Who are on the mount Rushmore of this Millennium?"

Chris Kunitz has quietly had a really good career. A true winner.

Yep, this guy with a "really good" career is definitely on mount rushmore over someone who is already a first ballot Hall of Famer. Unironic opinions like this are why Kevin "I know a thing or two about winning" Lowe was inducted into the Hall of Fame.

I don't even hard disagree yet with people who don't want McDavid on there because it's too early. That said, the idea that I'm supposed to be visualizing a line of players waiting to get onto this Mount Rushmore and suddenly there's Chris f***ing Kunitz in line ahead of McDavid - purely laughable.

Hope TB three-peats so we can see you start talking about how you hear Big Rig coming down the highway to claim his spot on Mount Rushmore because he won 4 cups in a row. :laugh:

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I would say none. A Mt. Rushmore should be reserved for all time greats of some sort. We had so far some players who will be first-ballot HOFers but we have that every generation. We have some people who have won a Hart trophy or so, but so does every generation. There are a couple of players who may be a tier or two near, but no one clearly who makes it.
So you're saying the requirements (in your mind) are to do something that doesn't happen every generation?

Ovechkin:
1) 9 Rockets -> Never been done before. The closest was 7 by Hull when he won his 7th (retro) Rocket over 50 years ago. 2nd closest is Esposito when he won his 6th over 45 years ago.
-> Since Gretzky won his 5th almost 35 years ago, no-one has won more than 3 (Ovi has 3x that amount lol)
2) Nobody has lead the league in goals/gp, powerplay goals, or shots more times than Ovechkin. If you want to look at #2 in those aspects (which are still behind Ovi, you're looking at 40-50 years + ago)
3) Only 3 players in history have more Harts than Ovechkin (and those 3 all did it 30-80+ years ago). The only players to tie Ovi in this aspect all did it 25-80+ years ago.

Lidstrom:
1) Only Orr has more Norris trophies than Lidstrom, and Orr won his last one 45 years ago. The only person to tie Lidstrom with 7x Norris trophies was Harvey when he won his 7th 60 years ago. No one else has more than 5 (compared to Lidstroms 7)

Bergeron:
1) Nobody in NHL history has more Selke's than Bergeron, the only person to match Bergeron was Gainey, who won his last Selke 40 years ago.

Crosby:
1) Only 1 player all time has more Smythe's than Crosby (Roy), and Roy did that 20 years ago. If you isolated it to skaters only, Lemieux was the last person before Crosby to get a 2nd Smythe, and he did that 30 years ago.

Seems to me like the consensus of Ovi/Lidstrom/Crosby all have done something that has not been done in a long time (or in Ovi's case, quite a few things that have NEVER been done).

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Hope TB three-peats so we can see you start talking about how you hear Big Rig coming down the highway to claim his spot on Mount Rushmore because he won 4 cups in a row. :laugh:
Would still have more of a claim to it than regular-season-McDavid

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
I will be in minority here but I'd include Datsyuk. One of the most skilled, if NOT the most skilled player of all time. So Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Datsyuk for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad