Who are on the Mount Rushmore of this millennium?

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Hasek, Crosby, Ovechkin, Lidstrom

All the best at their given position. Tough to decide between Marty and Hasek, but I just feel like Hasek is the best ever. 6 Vezinas, 2 Harts, 2 Stanley Cups, Olympic Gold, 2 Ted Lindsays and 3 Jennings. Hard to argue

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Use few, couple, multiple or whatever word you want. 1 top 10 pt finish in the millennium isn't anything high end. 43 games = "high end year"... Right.
Who hurt you? You’re arguing for the absolute sake of arguing at this point. Who in their right mind would not call 35 goals and 76 pts in 43 games high end? This is a nonsense conversation so I’ll bow out at this point

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
I'm guessing none of them have played yet, the only way any 2000~2020 player is still on the Mt Rushmore by end of millenium is if Ovi manages the goals record and by some crazy fluke of the way the game evolves it's still standing. So basically it's not happening.

Of what we have so far Ovechkin and Crosby are obvious locks. I saw mentions of Lemieux and Jagr, but those guys really did their damage pre-2000. Guys like Lidstrom and Hasek straddle 2000 which hurts them a bit, especially Hasek losing 97, 98 and 99. McDavid's career isn't done yet but he already has 3 Lindsays, here's the complete list of all other 3+ Lindsay award winners: Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, Jagr, Lafleur, Ovechkin. Based on that I have something like:

McDavid
Crosby
Ovechkin
Lidstrom

Last edited:

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Goalies are tough...
If you're going by wins its Fleury
Games played it's Luongo
GAA it's Brodeur
Sv% it's Lundqvist
Cups it's Fleury (3)
Vezinas it's Brodeur (4)

NHL Goalie Stats in Last 20 Seasons

Lidstrom is up there in points for Dmen, and his only real threat is Chara. Too bad about Karlsson's health because he could be up there too by now.

I think I'd go...
Crosby, OV, Lidstrom, Brodeur

That said... Having a 20yr Mount Rushmore is kinda odd. Lol
I think one since the 2004 lockout would make more sense.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
A lot of his success predates 2000

His peak was in the 2000's. He has 4 Vezinas, 3 other nominations, 3 Jennings, 1 Hart nomination, 2 Stanley Cups and 3 Finals (if we include 2000). Even if we take out what he did in the 90's he's still the most decorated goalie this side of the millenium. Looking at all players, only Crosby, Ovechkin and Lidstrom are more decorated.

Last edited:

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Crosby, Ovechkin, and Lidstrom are pretty clearly the three best players post 2000.

Brodeur is probably my vote for fourth.

HM: McDavid, Malkin, Kane, Keith, Hedman, Thornton

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I mean besides Orr what other dman has a hart ? Chris Pronger I think ? It’s so rare for them to win that and his 7 Norris Trophies have something to say about being less accomplished.

Yeah it's pretty rare but those other guys have done some pretty amazing things as well. It's tough not to include any of them. I could probably sub him in for Kane but Kane's playoff record is pretty solid with some huge goals. Regular season wise Nik has him beat though.

PolishPrince21

Mar 4, 2015
LI
Yeah it's pretty rare but those other guys have done some pretty amazing things as well. It's tough not to include any of them. I could probably sub him in for Kane but Kane's playoff record is pretty solid with some huge goals. Regular season wise Nik has him beat though.
I saw about 2/3rds of Lindstroms career , I never saw a better dman, he has to be up there at least in my opinion.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I saw about 2/3rds of Lindstroms career , I never saw a better dman, he has to be up there at least in my opinion.

Oh yeah absolutely. Easily the best Dman during the time period the OP mentioned. I think making a F, D and G Rushmore would be interesting.

F:
Crosby, Ovechkin, Kane, Malkin

D:
Lidstrom, Chara, Keith, Hedman

G:
Broduer, Fleury, Lundqvist, Luongo

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I was hoping to see a Toronto fan casually try and slip Matthews on there.

Anyways my 4:
Bryzgalov, Brooksie, John Scott, and only Daniel Sedin (No Henrik).

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I think it's Crosby, Ovechkin, Lidstrom and I can't see an argument against any of them.

Problem is, I can't really see an argument against Malkin or Brodeur. I'll go with Brodeur since he's a goalie and this makes it nice and even with C, W, D, G. Kane also deserves some level of recognition, even though I don't think he's quite there.

He has same number of Harts and Lindsays as Crosby, with 2 more Art Ross wins.

(Crosby has 2 Rockets and 2 Smyths on him).

McDavid is starting to get up there.

Crosby has two Cups and the golden goal, too. The Cups are why people aren't putting McDavid in there. Nothing more, nothing less.

EDIT: Just for what it's worth, I am a big McDavid fan. This is not an insult to him whatsoever.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
The people who are putting McDavid on the list this early are hilarious lol

I can't stand him but he's the best player in the regular season by a wide margin.

He is one of the best players of this millenium.

What's your argument that he isn't?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad