WJC: Who’s this year’s MONSTER PERFORMER?

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
Pierre McQuires love affair and bragging on the players almost makes me cheer for the other team. Every simple little play is followed by an "outstanding" or "unbelievable". The only thing outstanding so far has been the goaltending. As the players grow as a team we could see a great effort, but to continually build these kids up like Pierre and Gord Miller do, it is just setting them up for a downfall.

Not really. Everyone knows that the tournament is pretty much made for Canada to win. Gord and Pierre are just doing what everyone in Canada wants. Which is to build the team up and make them look unbeatable because they know how big the tournament is in Canada and how many people will be watching. The whole country is watching so what do u want them to do? say bad things about the players? I don't think so.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
Yes, it’s that time of year again! Unlike other threads that ask you to predict who will actually play well or contribute to his team, I want your guess as to whom Pierre McGuire will compare to a Hall of Famer or current NHL star of the same nationality and shout WHAMO! every time they win a face-off.

My guess is Patrice Cormier becomes the next Patrice Bergeron.

Through the first two games Cormier has probably been the worst player on the team. He can barely even keep up with the play and so far it looks like he doesn't even belong on the ice. I find this strange because allthough he didn't play much last year, I thought he played well. Maybe its the pressure of being captain. Whatever it is he needs to adjust and start playing his game.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
Taylor Hall is clearly the most talented player on Canada and probably in the tournament. Its not even close either.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
Filatov. In the whole tournament, that is.

Ok, and he is already been drafted and has already played a few games in the NHL. I was thinking more in the sense of true junior players. And even then I still think Hall is better. Filatov has been in this tournament for how many years now? and he still hasn't really dominated or lead his team to even a silver medal.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
I can't really say I've seen Hall play alot but to say he's the most talented player in tha tournament and "it's not even close" is simply ridiculous.
For example, the defender who managed to hold down a regular D-man spot in the SEL at 16 might have something to say about that.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
I can't really say I've seen Hall play alot but to say he's the most talented player in tha tournament and "it's not even close" is simply ridiculous.
For example, the defender who managed to hold down a regular D-man spot in the SEL at 16 might have something to say about that.

hahah allright come back to me at the end of the tournament then. As someone who admits to not seeing him play a lot, I don't think you are really in a position to say he isn't the most talented player in the tournament. Since you haven't seen him play I won't even bother giving you reasons why he is so good I'll just ask you how many players in this years tourney have been drafted #1 overall? The answer is none, but Hall will be the first player taken this year. Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane, Stamkos, Tavares...these guys got drafted number one for a reason and it was because they were way more talented than everyone. Its the same thing with Hall.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
And you've seen everyone play I bet.
He will probably be drafted 1st overall, so what? There are players in this tournament that have already been drafted, and there are some that aren't draft eligible until 2011.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
He will probably be drafted 1st overall, so what?

Do I even need to respond to something like that? Yeah I guess it means nothing to be drafted 1st overall. I mean just look at those bummy names I mentioned that have recently been first overall: Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane, Stamkos, Tavares...Hall isn't gonna be any different. Even if you haven't seen him play enough, have you not watched the first two exhibition games to see how dominant he has been? He has 2 goals in 4 periods of play and has been far and away the most dangerous player.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
And then there are the Eric Johnson's, Marc-Andre Fleury's and the Rick Dipietro's. Being drafted #1 doesn't mean you're the most talented that draft year, and even if you are, there are still players that have been drafted a year earlier that might be more so, and also players that have yet to be drafted.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Through the first two games Cormier has probably been the worst player on the team. He can barely even keep up with the play and so far it looks like he doesn't even belong on the ice. I find this strange because allthough he didn't play much last year, I thought he played well. Maybe its the pressure of being captain. Whatever it is he needs to adjust and start playing his game.

Yeah, I agree completely. Forget about being captain quality; Cormier doesn't even look like he deserves to be on the team. I really thought I'd be wishing for Della Rovere to get bench in favour of Luke Adam, but Cormier has that dubious honour so far.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
And then there are the Eric Johnson's, Marc-Andre Fleury's and the Rick Dipietro's. Being drafted #1 doesn't mean you're the most talented that draft year, and even if you are, there are still players that have been drafted a year earlier that might be more so, and also players that have yet to be drafted.

Johnson and Fleury weren't the most talented in their draft year? I'm pretty sure they were. Yes, I am aware that there is the possibility of the number one pick being a bust but if you look at recent history, there haven't been many. Look, there is a reason Hall is gonna go first overall and its because he is the most talented player in his draft class and for anyone to say that he isn't the most talented player in this years WJC then I'll have to say to you is- keep watching.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
Yeah, I agree completely. Forget about being captain quality; Cormier doesn't even look like he deserves to be on the team. I really thought I'd be wishing for Della Rovere to get bench in favour of Luke Adam, but Cormier has that dubious honour so far.

lol I was the same way with Della Rovere coming in. I didn't want him on the team but he has looked allright in the first two games and has shown more discipline than some of the other guys. It took him a year to figure it out so hopefully guys like Kadri get it a little quicker. It really shouldn't be that hard to show a little more discipline at this level.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Johnson and Fleury weren't the most talented in their draft year? I'm pretty sure they were. Yes, I am aware that there is the possibility of the number one pick being a bust but if you look at recent history, there haven't been many. Look, there is a reason Hall is gonna go first overall and its because he is the most talented player in his draft class and for anyone to say that he isn't the most talented player in this years WJC then I'll have to say to you is- keep watching.

I'd rather have Toews and Bäckström than Johnson and I would rather have Parise, Getzlaf and Richards than Fleury.

Anyways the point I'm trying to make is that while Hall may be the most talented one (I guess we'll just have to wait and see) I doubt it's "not even close".

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
I'd rather have Toews and Bäckström than Johnson and I would rather have Parise, Getzlaf and Richards than Fleury.

Anyways the point I'm trying to make is that while Hall may be the most talented one (I guess we'll just have to wait and see) I doubt it's "not even close".

If you'd rather have mike richards over one of the best goalies in the world than I just feel bad for you. And in terms of draft eligible players in the tournament, yeah i'd say no one is close to Hall.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor

Did you happen to catch the game tonight? Make it 3 in 3 for T.Hall. Like I said, its not even close.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
I hope everyone who was arguing with me when I said Hall is by far the most talented player in the tourney is ready to apologize. You folks might wanna start listening to me.

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
I hope everyone who was arguing with me when I said Hall is by far the most talented player in the tourney is ready to apologize. You folks might wanna start listening to me.

TBH, this thread wasn't about talent. It was about performance.

Unless I lost my glasses again, and read the thread title wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad