WHL Trade Deadline

Regina Pat

Keep Kadri
May 16, 2010
The ODR
Very excited to see the Pats make a smart move. Klimchuk is great and will help Brandon a lot, but adding Gabrielle to Steel/Wagner/Hunt/Cole etc. is fantastic. Very excited for the next couple of years in Regina.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Very excited to see the Pats make a smart move. Klimchuk is great and will help Brandon a lot, but adding Gabrielle to Steel/Wagner/Hunt/Cole etc. is fantastic. Very excited for the next couple of years in Regina.

If Gabrielle can show more discipline he will help the Pats. He is a physical player with talent. Klimchuk is a good player but not a good long term trade for Brandon.

Regina is building around Steel but Brandon has to remember they have a great group of 16 year olds. Clague, Patrick and Kaspick all wore the C for Canada's U16 teams this year. Don't understand the move.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
If Gabrielle can show more discipline he will help the Pats. He is a physical player with talent. Klimchuk is a good player but not a good long term trade for Brandon.

Regina is building around Steel but Brandon has to remember they have a great group of 16 year olds. Clague, Patrick and Kaspick all wore the C for Canada's U16 teams this year. Don't understand the move.

As you said, Brandon has a very young core that will be mostly in tact for at least 2 more seasons. They are trying to win the Memorial Cup this year. While they obviously are underdogs next to Kelowna, they are still the #3 ranked team in the CHL.

Klimchuk adds a bigger scoring punch to the Wheat Kings. It may not help them win in 2 years, but it gives them a greater chance at winning this season, and possibly next year, IMO.

I like it. It shows me that Brandon really wants it this year as well, even though next year they should be even stronger.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I like the trade. It shows that the Wheat Kings are making room for their other prospects. That is why Dylan Thiessen didn't make the team, because they're so full of talent.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
I like the trade. It shows that the Wheat Kings are making room for their other prospects. That is why Dylan Thiessen didn't make the team, because they're so full of talent.

Yes, next year I could see Linden McCorrister challenge to make the Wheat Kings. He may add something that Thiesson can't add grit and toughness. He was one of the last cuts of the Wheat Kings this fall. He won't put up big numbers but he will play a hard game and be very physical.

BWK Fan 97

Apr 1, 2013
On The Prairies
I will miss Jesse, but it sounds like him and Kelly had some issues. Morgan Klimchuk is a nice add though. Hopefully Brandon can pick up another defenceman before the deadline, preferably someone with a bit of an edge. Other than that, looks good to me.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Portland has had a lot of success with convincing American players to not to go the university route and join the Winter Hawks (Seth Jones) With that said the Wheat Kings have 2 very good 16 year old American players they drafted in 2013 and are planning on going the university route.

They were on the U16 American team (Joey Anderson and Ryan Lindgren) I don't know a lot about these players other than at the 2013 bantam draft people saying these 2 players had 1st round talent and would have been drafted there if they weren't talking of committing to university programs.

Does anyone know if these players would consider changing their minds and consider the WHL route and if the Winter Hawks would have interest in them?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I can't speak for Joey Anderson, but even if Lindgren was drafted by one of the US teams, I doubt he would be going the WHL route.

Mathews on the other hand, even if he is undecided still, I would be shocked if he chose NCAA over WHL. Only enticing offer would be joining Arizona State, but I don't think they will be ready to compete in DI next season. Maybe I am wrong though.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
I can't speak for Joey Anderson, but even if Lindgren was drafted by one of the US teams, I doubt he would be going the WHL route.

Mathews on the other hand, even if he is undecided still, I would be shocked if he chose NCAA over WHL. Only enticing offer would be joining Arizona State, but I don't think they will be ready to compete in DI next season. Maybe I am wrong though.

What kind of players are Lindgren and Anderson? These 2 players were drafted in same bantam draft as Patrick, Clague, Kaspick and Lewis. Thie 2013 bantam draft was a very strong draft for the Wheat Kings.

Other than the Wheat Kings drafting them and that they both played on the U16 Worlds I have no background on what kind of players they are?

Wade Allison (17 years old) who is a Wheat King prospect and who I think is committed to Western Michigan University was at prospects camp this summer and he would be a great addition to the BWK's but I don't see that happening. He is a big strong forward with very good goal scoring instincts.

I can see KM looking at trading picks or prospects to acquire a solid vetran defensive d-men or two because this group of forward can score with any team in the WHL. How they came on in 2nd and 3rd period last night after trailing 3 to 1 and scoring 7 goals against a strong defensive team in Calgary was very impressive.

Thanks for info.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What kind of players are Lindgren and Anderson? These 2 players were drafted in same bantam draft as Patrick, Clague, Kaspick and Lewis. Thie 2013 bantam draft was a very strong draft for the Wheat Kings.

Other than the Wheat Kings drafting them and that they both played on the U16 Worlds I have no background on what kind of players they are?

Wade Allison (17 years old) who is a Wheat King prospect and who I think is committed to Western Michigan University was at prospects camp this summer and he would be a great addition to the BWK's but I don't see that happening. He is a big strong forward with very good goal scoring instincts.

I can see KM looking at trading picks or prospects to acquire a solid vetran defensive d-men or two because this group of forward can score with any team in the WHL. How they came on in 2nd and 3rd period last night after trailing 3 to 1 and scoring 7 goals against a strong defensive team in Calgary was very impressive.

Thanks for info.

Again, I have never watched nor read anything about Anderson, but Lindgren is a talented smooth skating offensive defenseman who got a ton of hype as the "next big thing" concerning American prospects. Well, putting up 88 points in 55 games as a defenseman for Shattuck will make anyone get hype, but he definitely deserves it. Has had a couple of rough patches lately and while he was considered a top 5 prospect for 2017, he's looking more like a good 1st round.

He reminds me a lot of Ivan Provorov as both are good offensively, physical, but prone to defensive lapses. I can't say who is better, but I think Lindgren has the potential to surpass Provorov. Lindgren was also the captain for team USA during the U17 World Games, or whatever that tournament is so he might have some Ryan Pulock in his game (but I do not think Lindgren will be as good defensive as Pulock was).

As for Wade Allison, as you said, he's going to Western Michigan for a reason, and that reason is because of Andy Murray. I doubt he will leave now for the dub.

Regina Pat

Keep Kadri
May 16, 2010
The ODR
Pats deal Burroughs and Hunt for Hobbs (97), 2nd '16 and 3rd '15. I heard Connor Gay to a Red Deer as well. Huge stuff in the Queen City today. Nice to see.

I'll bet on Christoffer to wear the 'C' with Burroughs gone. Padakin could get the A. Steel a candidate going into next year for captaincy.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Any other chatter around cities you guys are near for trades? I don't really care about links or anything, just curious of rumors....I wonder if some teams see that Kelowna has made themselves a contender to beat an NHL team(joking.... well kinda hahaha) so now they figure its way too risky giving up a ton of youth to make a push.. I know I would

I kinda tought Cole Ully may have been traded to Medicine Hat but that sort of seems unlikely now seeing that the Tigers just made a deal. I think Ully is destined for his hometown Hitmen. ORRR this may be surprising, but I could see Seattle Thunderbirds tinkering around in the Ully sweepstakes. Sure they are 7th in the west right now, but they are also only 3 points out of 3rd place and haven't had a healthy lineup with all their "stars" in the same game yet this year. They currently have their best players Barzal, Gropp and Theodore all gone from the lineup and once they return soon, they could turn into a scary team. Their issue all year has been scoring from other lines so with a Ully acquisition, they could have 2 extremely good scoring lines. They have a ton of 17 year olds on the team so maybe they would look at a 17 year old and a pick and/or prospect to Kamloops. Don't count out Russ Farwell being quiet at the deadline. He always does something

Last edited:

Sammy225

Aug 9, 2011
I have heard Rumors surrounding Seattle sending Shea Theodore to Brandon but it is all just rumors. Makes sense when that is a glaring weakness for the Wheat Kings. But Seattle has been playing well of late so i don;t know.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I have heard Rumors surrounding Seattle sending Shea Theodore to Brandon but it is all just rumors. Makes sense when that is a glaring weakness for the Wheat Kings. But Seattle has been playing well of late so i don;t know.

Ya I heard during Xmas break of a Theodore/Hickman duo to the Wheaties... Tbirds wanted a Matheos+ package in return. Seattle is in a interesting situation. Very good young team that will do damage next year. This year they may win a playoff round or 2 but no chance they go farther. BUT, they have Theodore... would fetch a huge return if they choose to move him.

They will be a scary team once their 3 top guys come back. They currently have a lot of 16 and 17 year olds(3 16 year olds/10 17 year olds) so that's why I was saying maybe they take a run at Ully and see what happens. Get him and they would have 2 real good lines. Give up a 17 year old and a prospect.

Ully - Barzal - Hickman
Gropp - True - Kolesar

PP#1
Ully/Barzal/Gropp
Theodore/Bear

Pretty impressive PP if you ask me.

arsmaster*

I'd move Theodore if I'm Seattle. You would need something huge though.

Would Brandon move Clague? If I'm Brandon I wouldn't, but they already went out and got Klimchuk. They're going for it.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I'd move Theodore if I'm Seattle. You would need something huge though.

Would Brandon move Clague? If I'm Brandon I wouldn't, but they already went out and got Klimchuk. They're going for it.

I could have seen them go for him, but not anymore now. They just acquired Reid Gow.
Another team that could look into acquiring Theodore is Everett Silvertips. They made it known they were in the market to try to land Morrissey so obviously they are looking for a high skilled dman

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Lipsbergs is back with Seattle. T-Birds released Baltram. Horrible news for Seattle though is Hickman out for rest of season and rest of his junior career. 20 year old season and is getting shoulder surgery

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Brandon acquires veteran Reid Gow from Spokane for a 5th round pick.

He decided to play CIS this year instead of his 20 year old season in Spokane this year, but has joined the Wheat Kings. Had almost 70 points last year as a 19 y/o.

I really like it. Fills the final overage spot with a D man that has put up big numbers. Didnt have to give up much either.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Lipsbergs is back with Seattle. T-Birds released Baltram. Horrible news for Seattle though is Hickman out for rest of season and rest of his junior career. 20 year old season and is getting shoulder surgery

Feel bad for Hickman I hate seeing a good player finish his junior hockey career hurt.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Really too bad for Hickman. I think he would have been a perfect fit with a team like Kelowna, who are still going to add a 20 year old before the deadline.

As for the Gow to Brandon move, I also think it's great. A very cheap addition and a guy who was nearly a point per game last year for Spokane. Pretty crazy looking blueline they have out there. Basically zero percent chance that they move Clague, but I think that both Taraschuk and Matsuba are likely headed back to midget.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Actually PA got a bit more than I thought. I thought there would be conditional picks and stuff, not an outright 1st rounder. Dalton Yorke is a tough kid. Solid dman he will be for PA. Good job PA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad