WHL Trade Deadline

Hordichuk_24

Lots of speculation Eric Comrie has been dealt after he didn't even appear on the bench last night (they had no backup dressed). That would be a pretty big move for anybody as he has been a guy that can steal games singlehandedly in the past.

Comrie was given the night off. As was Nic Petan. People were blowing that way out of proportion.

Very quiet trade deadline as expected. There are still a few more trades that haven't been announced yet. But nothing major (at least not to my knowledge).

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Absolute fire-sale of the lowly Canes going on.

Meh, I like the moves they made. Some of them were definitely necessary and they atleast got some value back in most of them.

Getting a guy like Sittler alone was a good move and a big upgrade to their backup goalie spot.

beelby

Jun 7, 2013
Wow.. This deadline as a Royals fan really has me scratching my head. One of our biggest problems heading into the deadline was goaltending and I think we may have downgraded. Not a knock on Paulic as I haven't seen him play but Jayden Sittler played good every time the Royals gave him a shot. They deal him away for virtually nothing and what does he do? 40 saves only lets in one on the worst team in the league.

Anyways, I don't know much about Bryton Sayers any one seen him play?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Wow.. This deadline as a Royals fan really has me scratching my head. One of our biggest problems heading into the deadline was goaltending and I think we may have downgraded. Not a knock on Paulic as I haven't seen him play but Jayden Sittler played good every time the Royals gave him a shot. They deal him away for virtually nothing and what does he do? 40 saves only lets in one on the worst team in the league.

Anyways, I don't know much about Bryton Sayers any one seen him play?

Sayers is an ok pickup. A bottom pairing guy but he can skate ok, moves the puck ok and has a decent edge to his game.

But overall I agree with your assessment, not sure what the Royals plans were. While I understand the Forsberg move, it was basically counteracted when they traded away Blomqvist. I understand there are only so many spots up front and they are a deep group up front, but I felt that the price for Forsberg was quite high...while also giving away picks in the Blomqvist deal.

Hordichuk_24

While I understand the Forsberg move

I surely don't. I don't care what the statistics say, Alex Forsberg is not worth a 1st round pick. To be fair maybe Dunn is the key to this deal? I don't know enough about him to make that judgement. But as it stands right now that is huge overpayment, IMO. With or without Forsberg the Royals aren't good enough to go very far. I'm not a big Blomqvist fan so I don't really have an issue with him being moved. Anyway I guess we will have to wait and see how things turn out.

Hordichuk_24

Wheat Kings make a couple moves and lose 2 straight by a total of 11-1 :help:

Can't say I'm surprised. I didn't like the deal to begin with and it's even worse they didn't address the hole that trade created (aka; a lack of grit and toughness up front). They are too easy to play against. I figured McCrimmon would acquire someone else before the deadline but evidently not. I realize there aren't a lot of physical hard teams to play against in the east so maybe he felt they could get away without adding that dimension but I wouldn't take that risk. Then again I'm old school in my thinking and I always want a gritty physical team regardless of how much the game changes. Especially come playoff time.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Can't say I'm surprised. I didn't like the deal to begin with and it's even worse they didn't address the hole that trade created (aka; a lack of grit and toughness up front). They are too easy to play against. I figured McCrimmon would acquire someone else before the deadline but evidently not. I realize there aren't a lot of physical hard teams to play against in the east so maybe he felt they could get away without adding that dimension but I wouldn't take that risk. Then again I'm old school in my thinking and I always want a gritty physical team regardless of how much the game changes. Especially come playoff time.

I didn't mind the add as I felt it powered them up on offense. But you are right, they now have no grit. Hopefully they find a way to add some in the off season.

Also, I will be in the minority here though, but I feel like goaltending is a weakness. Papirny can steal games, but he is too shaky IMO. A goalie like Comrie could make this team win it all I think.

Cannot see them winning it all anymore this year. But next year... :naughty:

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
I didn't mind the add as I felt it powered them up on offense. But you are right, they now have no grit. Hopefully they find a way to add some in the off season.

Also, I will be in the minority here though, but I feel like goaltending is a weakness. Papirny can steal games, but he is too shaky IMO. A goalie like Comrie could make this team win it all I think.

Cannot see them winning it all anymore this year. But next year... :naughty:

They were just commenting on Sportsnet game between Brandon and Calgary that goaltending is a weak point for Brandon.

The Reid Gow trade does not look good so far, he has got caught several times and has taken several penalties that cost Brandon. I hope his play improves but I don see him as a good fit on this team. They needed a defensive d-man to help with penalty kill.

Hordichuk_24

I don't want to reveal specifics but I know McCrimmon tried to add some toughness up front. But a deal couldn't be reached. The two teams are in the same conference though so maybe that is part of the reason why? I thought he would try elsewhere but maybe the prices were too high? Hard to say. They'll have to try and make due for now. As I said previously the east isn't overly physical so they might be able to hang in there.

arsmaster*

I surely don't. I don't care what the statistics say, Alex Forsberg is not worth a 1st round pick. To be fair maybe Dunn is the key to this deal? I don't know enough about him to make that judgement. But as it stands right now that is huge overpayment, IMO. With or without Forsberg the Royals aren't good enough to go very far. I'm not a big Blomqvist fan so I don't really have an issue with him being moved. Anyway I guess we will have to wait and see how things turn out.

Dunn was the Royal prospect being moved though, so it gets even worse if you view things that way. They moved a 16 year old prospect and a 1st (2 years out mind you) but also got 3rd/4th's in sooner drafts, and Victoria has done well finding WHL players in that range.

I'm not too worried about Blomqvist leaving, he's big and skates well but Forsberg will be back next year and won't eat up an OA and an Import slot.

I'm not a big fan of moving for Forsberg, but having productive OA's in pretty much the Royals team building model. They're led by the 20's every year.

Hordichuk_24

Dunn was the Royal prospect being moved though, so it gets even worse if you view things that way.

Wow! I completely read that press release wrong. I never realized that until you pointed it out. That makes the trade even more absurd, IMO. I heard Cameron Hope talk after the trade and he called Forsberg an elite player in the league. I am surprised he could keep a straight face. I realize he has to support his new acquisition but let's be realistic here. You can use a lot of terminology to describe a player. But the word elite and Forsberg should never be used in the same sentence.

arsmaster*

Wow! I completely read that press release wrong. I never realized that until you pointed it out. That makes the trade even more absurd, IMO. I heard Cameron Hope talk after the trade and he called Forsberg an elite player in the league. I am surprised he could keep a straight face. I realize he has to support his new acquisition but let's be realistic here. You can use a lot of terminology to describe a player. But the word elite and Forsberg should never be used in the same sentence.

Yeah, I was confused too. Had to look at the league transactions table to get a grasp on it, as I'm not that familiar with kids not already in the junior circuit.

I think Forsberg can be a high end player in the league as a 20 year old, and that's all Victoria needs.

They're pretty much constructed with the idea that their 3-20's will carry the bulk of the load.

Been that way for as long as they've been in Vic. Still hate moving a 1st for him. Seems quite excessive.

Hordichuk_24

Yeah, I was confused too. Had to look at the league transactions table to get a grasp on it, as I'm not that familiar with kids not already in the junior circuit.

I think Forsberg can be a high end player in the league as a 20 year old, and that's all Victoria needs.

He'd better be given what it cost to acquire him. No matter what he does statistically I don't think that will ever be worth what they gave up to acquire him. Short of winning a couple of Ed Chynoweth Cups and/or Memorial Cups. And the odds of that happening are pretty slim.

In my opinion if you give up a 1st round pick you either must end up with an elite impact player (some might argue Forsberg is, I do not believe he is) or a good prospect that will give you at least 2.5 years of service. So in other words a really good 17 year old. Or even a good 16 year old. But something more than a decent 19 year old which is what I consider Forsberg.

Regardless it's done now. I hope the Royals are happy with him. I'm sure the Blades are thrilled with the 1st rounder. They need all the high end picks they can get to turn around that franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad