WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
PA's Andrlik traded to PG for a 12th rounder

Blazers Clouston to MJ for a 5th

Pats Reagan to Lethbridge for Taylor Cooper... I like that deal for Hurricanes

R S

Sep 18, 2006
So nothing. Good for Kelowna.

Going to be an insane team to watch moving forward this year.

Nothing? They got a very good return for a player who wasn't even on their roster. Yes, Edmonton basically forced them to trade with Kelowna...but what were they going to do? Not pull the trigger and not get Leon OR some form of assets?

The trade is not bad...Leon for:

1st
4th
4th (conditional probably surrounding Kelowna's winning a title this year)
Yorke
Schmidli

While the two players heading the other way are only decent, they still get 5 assets basically for free.

arsmaster*

Nothing? They got a very good return for a player who wasn't even on their roster. Yes, Edmonton basically forced them to trade with Kelowna...but what were they going to do? Not pull the trigger and not get Leon OR some form of assets?

The trade is not bad...Leon for:

1st
4th
4th (conditional probably surrounding Kelowna's winning a title this year)
Yorke
Schmidli

While the two players heading the other way are only decent, they still get 5 assets basically for free.

I didn't know 4th's were included at the time of my post, but they didn't get really any quality assets.

Of course PA was going to trade him, they just didn't any quality other than the 1st (which are highly volatile anyways).

Kelowna's 9th dman on the depth chart and a smallish import (who I actually don't mind) is a fairly mediocre return.

It's better than nothing I guess.

arsmaster*

Pats Reagan to Lethbridge for Taylor Cooper... I like that deal for Hurricanes

It's a great deal for the Hurricanes IMO. A young 97' for a 95'. Lethbridge wins.

It doesn't even make sense to me, considering Regina looks to be going young. They'd have had Reagan for 2.5 seasons at least, Cooper for 1.5 is not a great get.

arsmaster*

It's much better return than I expected. Out of curiosity what did you expect?

I don't know. A better dman. Shmidli will be a good player for them, and probably produce more with more opportunity.

I didn't know the 4th's were in there at first so I guess 5 assets is pretty good for a guy who was never going to put your teams sweater on again.

Hordichuk_24

I don't know. A better dman. Shmidli will be a good player for them, and probably produce more with more opportunity.

So someone better than Yorke? Any name in particular? Or are you thinking an upcoming prospect not on the Rockets roster? We all knew Schmidli was the one player involved in the deal. The rest of the draft picks were rumored to be 2nd and 3rd rounders. The fact Kelowna gave up a 1st is a surprise to me. Obviously they have one of the best scouts in the league in Frey, losing a 1st round pick isn't a big deal because of him. At the same time it isn't often the Rockets trade a 1st rounder. That in itself surprised me. For the record I like Yorke. He's a tough kid. I thought the Rockets would want to hang onto him as they will lose Goulbourne after this season. But obviously the focus is on winning right now.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
So someone better than Yorke? Any name in particular? Or are you thinking an upcoming prospect not on the Rockets roster? We all knew Schmidli was the one player involved in the deal. The rest of the draft picks were rumored to be 2nd and 3rd rounders. The fact Kelowna gave up a 1st is a surprise to me. Obviously they have one of the best scouts in the league in Frey, losing a 1st round pick isn't a big deal because of him. At the same time it isn't often the Rockets trade a 1st rounder. That in itself surprised me. For the record I like Yorke. He's a tough kid. I thought the Rockets would want to hang onto him as they will lose Goulbourne after this season. But obviously the focus is on winning right now.

You know whats amazing to me? that Kelowna got Draisaitl and Morrissey without giving up any of their upcoming youth. Stadel, Gatenby, Johansen, Dube, Smart, etc all stay put... wow

arsmaster*

skinnyjimmy named a lot of guys I was surprised they didn't have to move.
The Morrissey acquisition was dirt cheap. That one still boggles my mind. The Raiders got hosed there. But I thought Kelowna had to give up more for Draisaitl.

I think you could probably view this as one large deal in the end.

Hordichuk_24

skinnyjimmy named a lot of guys I was surprised they didn't have to move.

I think you could probably view this as one large deal in the end.

Probably yes. And I agree, I'm surprised they didn't have to give up certain players as well. All in all Kelowna did very well in both deals. They didn't lose any significant pieces (especially in the Morrissey trade) minus the draft picks. And as I touched on previously they can afford to lose some picks due to their scouting staff. They always find quality players.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So nothing. Good for Kelowna.

Going to be an insane team to watch moving forward this year.

Disagree, I think that is a solid return for a player who is going to play only three months more of junior hockey (not including playoffs). Schmidli is also an underrated player, good top 9 that you can play on the wings, in the middle, on the PP, and even on the PK as well. Plus they got Yorke which has already been discussed in great detail.

And Burke gets traded to the Hitmen, sorry Calgary fans. :laugh:

Surprised that Ully hasn't moved, I would have thought that the Stars would like to see him get a far run in the playoffs and the Blazers get at least "something" for him.

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Disagree, I think that is a solid return for a player who is going to play only three months more of junior hockey (not including playoffs). Schmidli is also an underrated player, good top 9 that you can play on the wings, in the middle, on the PP, and even on the PK as well. Plus they got Yorke which has already been discussed in great detail.

And Burke gets traded to the Hitmen, sorry Calgary fans. :laugh:

Surprised that Ully hasn't moved, I would have thought that the Stars would like to see him get a far run in the playoffs and the Blazers get at least "something" for him.

Im still waiting for a Ully to Calgary trade. I really think that is going to happen

Royals taking a chance with Alex Forsberg I see...
Forsberg,3rd,4th for a 2017 1st and Brayden Dunn.... giving up a 1st for Forsberg? that's pretty steep

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Im still waiting for a Ully to Calgary trade. I really think that is going to happen

Royals taking a chance with Alex Forsberg I see...
Forsberg,3rd,4th for a 2017 1st and Brayden Dunn.... giving up a 1st for Forsberg? that's pretty steep

Its funny because nobody wanted Forsberg for the fact he demanded a trade and went to the SJHL. Now he has been traded twice, seems as teams want him now.

But the Draisaitl and Morrissey trade shows me that some teams that make blockbusters will make high demands, or they care about their players too much so they send them to a team where they think they'll get more success. Eakin and Schenn were traded to division/conference rivals which got their old teams lots in return.

arsmaster*

Not pretty steep extremely steep. Unless of course Dunn turns out to be a great player. Not sure what the Royals are thinking here....

Frig that's terrible, maybe he'll be good as an OA, but a 1st? Yuck.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Blades sent Adam Henry to Portland for a 2nd. He will help Portland out ALOT. I think this is a brilliant move for them.

Henry got caught up in a numbers game at start of year with Seattle and they sent him to Saskatoon for an unknown at the time Turner Ottenbreit. Turner has since become a huge part of the T-Birds defense group and logs a ton of mins and gets talked about now to maybe be a late round NHL pick.

Seems like Henry getting moved around is helping out all the teams a lot!

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Its funny because nobody wanted Forsberg for the fact he demanded a trade and went to the SJHL. Now he has been traded twice, seems as teams want him now.

But the Draisaitl and Morrissey trade shows me that some teams that make blockbusters will make high demands, or they care about their players too much so they send them to a team where they think they'll get more success. Eakin and Schenn were traded to division/conference rivals which got their old teams lots in return.
Being around the junior sector all my life as a player and follower, I have noticed that junior teams very much value older players especially overagers. Maybe to the amount they over value them like Forsberg going for the package he did (which is an insane bundle IMO). But coaches know the experience and consistency they can bring to teams to win games.

As for your second part, some trades are a result from NHL team influence. I believe Draisaitl, Rockets, and Oilers did not talk with each other so it was more coincidental than anything. But. Take for example Joe Blandisi, a 6th round draft pick of the Avs in 2012. Avs were on the fence to see if they want to sign him to a ELC so they wanted the 67s to trade him to a playoff bound team, the Barrie Colts. Sadly he sustained a viral infection and missed all of the playoffs and a good part of the summer, this cost him a chance for an ELC. I'm not saying all the perfect trades are deemed from NHL teams, but some of the "caring" situation could be works from behind the scenes.

arsmaster*

Being around the junior sector all my life as a player and follower, I have noticed that junior teams very much value older players especially overagers. Maybe to the amount they over value them like Forsberg going for the package he did (which is an insane bundle IMO). But coaches know the experience and consistency they can bring to teams to win games.

As for your second part, some trades are a result from NHL team influence. I believe Draisaitl, Rockets, and Oilers did not talk with each other so it was more coincidental than anything. But. Take for example Joe Blandisi, a 6th round draft pick of the Avs in 2012. Avs were on the fence to see if they want to sign him to a ELC so they wanted the 67s to trade him to a playoff bound team, the Barrie Colts. Sadly he sustained a viral infection and missed all of the playoffs and a good part of the summer, this cost him a chance for an ELC. I'm not saying all the perfect trades are deemed from NHL teams, but some of the "caring" situation could be works from behind the scenes.

I think OA's are really important to Victoria. It means they don't have to rush their youngsters into roles they're not ready for. They've had strong overagers every year they've been in Victoria. That said that is a massive price to pay for a guy who hasn't really ever set the league a light.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Blazers picked up Brycen Martin from Swift for Josh Connolly and a 2nd rounder. Solid pickup for Kamloops

Suter to MacInnis

Mar 20, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Kelowna still has to get a 3rd 20 year old. Surprising they have gone 15 games without one after dealing Heffley and Rigby. Although when you consider that they got a 3rd and a 4th for them, what have they actually lost pick wise... not too much

- 4th rounder is a wash now, in and out with PA because of the Heffley deal
- Gained a 3rd from speedy creek in the Rigby deal and lost their own 2nd - right now that's only moving down like 8-10 spots though!

So really only lost one 1st rounder and a few draft spots.

I liked Glover a lot and I think him and the 1st were the two pieces that sting going forward... but for Morrissey and Draisaitl? Those are 3rd and 13th overall NHL picks - they did excellent in my opinion and will still have the best team in the Western Conference next year with Merkley, Chartier, Dube, Kirkland, Baillie coming back up front a year older and 4 or 5 pretty good young defenceman. Victoria lost their 1st and is in the same position for... Forsberg? A year longer service but still.

The Olsen rumors seem to have been debunked by the Rockets coach a couple days ago. Though he is really struggling in the AHL and development wise it would be a smart move for the Jets.

Rodewald? What would he cost for 3 months... about a 3rd rounder or a later pick and an average prospect?

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I have no idea why Victoria traded Axel Blomqvist...does anyone in Moose Jaw have any info on who we got back?..I know they are younger..but..

and Alex Forsberg? huh...

beelby

Jun 7, 2013
I am a pretty big follower of the CHL, I live in Victoria, I go to every game, know a lot about the players etc. point is I would say I am pretty close to the Royals, as a fan of course.

I am a bit shocked with the moves today, overall this was the difference

Justin Paulic (will probably be dealt in a package deal for bonified starter)
Alexey Sleptsov
6th
Alex Forsberg
3rd
4th
--
Axel Blomqvist
3rd
5th
2017 1st
Brayden Dunn

Shocked? Yes, but I think I might be able to see where Cam Hope is coming from. Last season the Royals dealt Brett Cote to the Red Deer Rebels right around the draft and the return was a 2nd round pick. If Forsberg has a good run (point per game already this year with 'Stoon) He could land them a nice (not great, but nice.) return to balance that deal out. As for the Blomqvist deal I truly think that Paulic was acquired to be packaged to possibly Edmonton for Jarry? Not sure what Hope has up his sleeve but coming off of GM of the year I'm not worried, and the more deals the better I think the team is. Cheers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad