WHL Trade Deadline

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
What teams will be busy at the trade deadline? As what buyers or sellers?
Possible Buyers:
Portland I read that they will try to be a buyers
Red Deer maybe acquiring for next years memorial cup.
Kelowna maybe but already made big deal already with PA
Brandon young team but could do with some toughness they have a lot of good young players and big that for the right price could be major deal makers.
Regina have a good veteran team that could be tough in the East
Medicinehat are top team in the central.
Calgary the Hitmen have a very good core of players and could look to build on that

Possible Sellers:
Seattle disappointing year so far but have some interesting players Theodore
Saskatoon are in full rebuild mode
Moose Jaw they have players could be interesting Point, Rodewald
Kootaney Reinhart will they move him. I can't see them getting Schenn price to much for most teams
Edmonton very interesting team still in playoff position but they could really accelerate the rebuild by moving certain players
Lethbridge maybe but they have made a few trades already this year.
Kamloops Ully will draw some attention

What do you see your favorite WHL team doing buying or selling and for who?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I can see Kamloops moving Ully and maybe Rehill. I think Ully will go to Medicine Hat or his hometown Hitmen.

If Seattle decides to sell, they could potentially move Theodore, Hickman, Kozun and either Smith or Hauf on defense. Smith and Hauf are both good dmen but are both 19 years old and I cant see Seattle keeping them both as 20 year olds next year. Hauf would fetch a real good return, but then again he would also be a key piece to the team next year as a 20 year old. Also another darkhorse player that could get attention is Wardley. Sure he is 1 ugly hit away from being kicked out of the league, but I wouldnt be surprised if someone got him for cheap. He is a very intimidating presence on the ice that is tough as nails.

Seattle has an extremely good young core and its been known for past few years that 2015 could be their season to do some damage. If they can pull off those deals and prepare for next season, Id do that in a heart beat.

I think Hickman is destined for Kelowna Rockets. Hard nose player that is a leader and his hometown is Kelowna and also they have a 20 year old spot open.

Is there a team that needs an upgrade in net and may trade for a 20 year old Kozun that is leading the league in most goalie stats?

The most intriguing player out of them though is Shea Theodore. Who would give up a big package for him? Oddly enough I can see Kootenay keeping Reinhart this year and making a push...would they ask about Theodore? ...Do the rivals Tbirds and Winterhawks make a trade and acquire him? Portland has 1 last year with Petan and Bjorkstrand and may want to make 1 last push. Also with Pouliot and others gone from last year, their team doesn't really have that intimidating offensive dman presence.

I love this time of year for WHL when it starts approaching the deadline!

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2008
Tristan Jarry to the Rockets.

That is my prediction.

They would be a lock for the WHL slot in the Memorial Cup.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Tristan Jarry to the Rockets.

That is my prediction.

They would be a lock for the WHL slot in the Memorial Cup.

They have Jackson Whistle already and hes 2nd in the league for goalies. Cant really see the Rockets giving up a huge package to land Jarry when they have him.
I could see Kelowna possibly trading for a veteran backup though

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Kootaney should defiantly be the team that buys. No way they're going to be able to trade Reinhart.

agreed... Kootenay will get a HUGE return for him and I cant see teams paying that. With Kelowna being such a powerhouse, it would be way too risky for a team to give up their future to acquire Reinhart.
I think Kootenay will definitely make a splash at the deadline though. They are a team right now that can do some serious damage once Reinhart comes back from WJC. Reinhart, Bozon and Descheneau are a scary trio of forwards in my opinion.
Maybe trade for Ully? him and Bozon have history and chemisty from their time together in Kamloops.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Any team need another 20 year old? Would love for Brandon to get rid of Roy and bring in someone a little younger on the blue line.

Roy has been terrible, but I think he needs a change of scenery, thats all.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Any team need another 20 year old? Would love for Brandon to get rid of Roy and bring in someone a little younger on the blue line.

Roy has been terrible, but I think he needs a change of scenery, thats all.

Actually the last month plus Eric Roy has played more physical and done a great job on the power play and penalty killing. His play has been far from terrible and McCrimmon has rewarded him with a lot of ice time.

Roy's play has been very good and Provorov away at WJ and Clague injuried, Roy's play has been very solid, he may not be putting up big points but his play has been very good and the Wheat Kings would have been in trouble the last month plus without Eric.

Last year Roy's play started off slow but by the end of the season and into the playoffs he was the Wheat Kings best defensemen and that included Pulock. I have no doubt that his play with continue to improve this year since he got off to slow start with his shoulder injury at Flames camp.

The Wheat Kings young defence can't get much younger and still continue to win. With Proporov playing well at 17 along with 2 other 17 year olds (Taraschum and Matsuba) and 1 16 year old (Clague)

If any thing the Wheat Kings should look to add a 20 year defensemen like (Nick Walters) and rotate the 3 young defencemen into the lineup when it works best.

Oct 15, 2008
They have Jackson Whistle already and hes 2nd in the league for goalies. Cant really see the Rockets giving up a huge package to land Jarry when they have him.
I could see Kelowna possibly trading for a veteran backup though

I like Whistle and have said as much before, but the fact remains he isnt experienced like Jarry. Who better to have in net than a guy who has been there and won it all before?

At any rate, with yesterday's news this is now highly unlikely, even more so than before.

Oct 15, 2008
Any thoughts on who else the Oil Kings could move to build for the future as they're playing their way out of the playoffs.

Sautner, Kulda, Baddock, Benson, Bertolucci, Orban, Carroll.

Any 94 or 95 born player. I would be selling if I were them, but we will see what they do. Been hit pretty hard by the injury bug this year, but I think it would be a good idea to try and put together something for the future.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
I like Whistle and have said as much before, but the fact remains he isnt experienced like Jarry. Who better to have in net than a guy who has been there and won it all before?

At any rate, with yesterday's news this is now highly unlikely, even more so than before.

I think Jarry would be a great addition to any contending team because of his experience. What news from yesterday would change teams looking at Jarry

Hordichuk_24

I get what you are saying but I don't think goaltending is a big enough issue for the Rockets to make a trade like that. They would have to give up an awful lot for an upgrade at a position that is already pretty good in my opinion. That wouldn't make a lot of sense. Unless of course they could acquire Jarry for very little. But what are the odds of that? Pretty slim. Either way Whistle is a lot better than many give him credit for. I think Kelowna is fine in net.

dcookson

Aug 20, 2014
What teams will be busy at the trade deadline? As what buyers or sellers?
Possible Buyers:
Portland I read that they will try to be a buyers
Red Deer maybe acquiring for next years memorial cup.
Kelowna maybe but already made big deal already with PA
Brandon young team but could do with some toughness they have a lot of good young players and big that for the right price could be major deal makers.
Regina have a good veteran team that could be tough in the East
Medicinehat are top team in the central.
Calgary the Hitmen have a very good core of players and could look to build on that

Possible Sellers:
Seattle disappointing year so far but have some interesting players Theodore
Saskatoon are in full rebuild mode
Moose Jaw they have players could be interesting Point, Rodewald
Kootaney Reinhart will they move him. I can't see them getting Schenn price to much for most teams
Edmonton very interesting team still in playoff position but they could really accelerate the rebuild by moving certain players
Lethbridge maybe but they have made a few trades already this year.
Kamloops Ully will draw some attention

What do you see your favorite WHL team doing buying or selling and for who?

Not sure Regina is going to be a buyer. To hear John Paddock talk on local radio, they are just as likely to be sellers (possibly Klimchuk and Burroughs). I've wondered if they might be building to take a run when Sam Steel is a little older.

Oct 15, 2008
I think Jarry would be a great addition to any contending team because of his experience. What news from yesterday would change teams looking at Jarry

Draisaitl, depending on what they gave up to get him, they may not have or be willing to part with what it takes to get Jarry. As others have stated, the Rockets may feel fine going with what they have (Whistle).

I see this as their year and they should pull out all the stops imo. After this its back to the drawing board for them. May as well go all in for what should be a clear path to the Memorial Cup. Once they get there however, the competition becomes much stiffer.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Klimchuk and Ully to Kootaney would be smart, that or Calgary.

All I hear is that every good player is going to Kelowna, what about other good teams like Portland who are more than 500 against the Rockets. Or teams like Medicine Hat and Brandon who are both within 7pts of the Rockets Everett is also a good team that might look to add

Sometimes loading up at the deadline doesn't always work look at the Blades both times they tried go for it and load up did not work.

Hordichuk_24

All I hear is that every good player is going to Kelowna, what about other good teams like Portland who are more than 500 against the Rockets. Or teams like Medicine Hat and Brandon who are both within 7pts of the Rockets Everett is also a good team that might look to add

I'm sure all those teams will be looking to add pieces. It might be more difficult for a team like Portland as they don't have as many assets (aka; draft picks) as other above mentioned teams.

MBJets said:
Sometimes loading up at the deadline doesn't always work look at the Blades both times they tried go for it and load up did not work.

No doubt. It's always a bit of a risk. It backfired for Kelowna last season. But that had a lot to do with the type of player they brought in. I don't think they will have that same issue with Morrissey or Draisaitl. Either way any contending team in a position to acquire players of that caliber is going to take that risk.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Brandon acquires Morgan Klimchuk from Regina for Jesse Gabrielle

Wow. Didn't expect that. Loved Gabe, but Klimchuk is sooo good.

arsmaster*

Brandon acquires Morgan Klimchuk from Regina for Jesse Gabrielle

Wow. Didn't expect that. Loved Gabe, but Klimchuk is sooo good.

Don't like it for Brandon. You're not getting through Kelowna with Klimchuk. Might as well keep that young core for next year.

First one in awhile I don't like for macrimmon.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Don't like it for Brandon. You're not getting through Kelowna with Klimchuk. Might as well keep that young core for next year.

First one in awhile I don't like for macrimmon.

Agreed. Plus I am not a fan of Klimchuk at all. I'm a little surprised they were willing to part with Gabrielle. I heard some rumors but wasn't sure they had any merit.

But there could still be more to come?

Sure they lost some young talent, but they got better for this season and (maybe?) next season. Plus, there is no shortage of young guns on this team, and will likely be getting 1st overall pick in Mattheos next year to make them even younger.

Meh. I am not expecting them to take out Kelowna in a 7 game series, but anything can happen.

afrobomber11

May 23, 2010
Flin Flon Manitoba

Sure they lost some young talent, but they got better for this season and (maybe?) next season. Plus, there is no shortage of young guns on this team, and will likely be getting 1st overall pick in Mattheos next year to make them even younger.

Meh. I am not expecting them to take out Kelowna in a 7 game series, but anything can happen.

while i agree with this, it is imperative to load up regardless to show the young guys what playoff hockey is all about, its win win, if they win they are going to mem cup, if they dont all this young talent thats already being talked about as the team to look out for next year has a hearty playoff run under their belt just as beating regina last year and losing to edmonton taught some valuable lessons

Hordichuk_24

For Brandon's sake I would hope so.

JC Numminen said:
Sure they lost some young talent, but they got better for this season and (maybe?) next season.

Debatable, IMO. Obviously Klimchuk is a better player than Gabrielle right now. So if you are looking at it that way I suppose you can say it's a win for the Wheaties. In my opinion Brandon doesn't lack skill. But they don't have a lot of a grit especially up front. Even more so now that they traded one of their most gritty players in Gabrielle. So to me it's a bit of a head scratcher. Unless they plan on bringing in someone else (which I'm guessing they will). Until that happens though I'm not sure this was the best move. Time will tell.

Furthermore I think Klimchuk is highly overrated. As I said previously I'm not a fan of his at all. Never have been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->