White jerseys at home?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
As someone who is red/green colorblind, plz no

As a fellow red/green colorblind person, I only found out when I opened up one of those Ishihara plates in my high school AP Bio textbook. While red/green colorblindness is the most common x-linked recessive disorder (so common that it's not only present in guys but occasionally pops up in women), most of those who are colorblind have it fairly mild - only having problems in dark light and other adverse conditions (like the Ishihara plates).

In normal conditions - say, driving even at night looking at a traffic light at a reasonable distance, it's not a factor for me. In fact, that tells me that for most of the red/green colorblind population (estimated at about 10% of men, I think),

Thus, I'd never mistake Dallas for Chicago. Personally, I do have a weird problem distinguishing Buffalo dark blue from Boston black. And Pittsburgh and Boston colors are very close, to boot.

I do like the idea of double-colors when they don't clash. It would be cool to see the bright orange of the Flyers or the blood red of the Flames at the Garden. But of all hockey problems out there, the problem of jersey colors is the last one I need solved. Fix the shootout first, pls.

Bps21*

"Switching to darks at home was one of the more contentious debates he's overseen as commissioner"

We have a league that went from derek Roy scoring 81 points in 07 to Sidney Crosby and the league leaders barely topping that in 15...games worth different total points and often decided by a skills competition that is proven to not reflect better team play at all...and a draft system so messed up for fear of rewarding bad teams that it instead just rewards the same team over and over...

And what color jersey teams wear at home is one of the tougher debates they've had...

There is no hope for this league. They are too dumb to succeed.

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
When I heard that Winnipeg was bringing back the white out I thought "cool" of course...Arizona still does it but whatever moving on.

Then of course the Jets are in their Blue jerseys...so WTF. And then they went to on lose the game.

YOU CAN'T HAVE A WHITEOUT IF YOUR TEAM ISN'T EVEN WEARING WHITE!?!?!?!

CBCnutcase

Sep 11, 2007
When I heard that Winnipeg was bringing back the white out I thought "cool" of course...Arizona still does it but whatever moving on.

Then of course the Jets are in their Blue jerseys...so WTF. And then they went to on lose the game.

Should've had a blue out instead, win or lose.The best would have to mix the shirts, towels, pom poms and alternate each seat with blue and white.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I prefer the Coloured at home, especially as it blends in so well with the crowd, the one exception would have to be Winnipeg and it's whiteout

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Oilers wore their whites in final home game of this season.

I'd like to see teams wear their whites at home just for a small stretch each year. Like Christmas to All Star Break.

CBCnutcase

Sep 11, 2007
What I wouldn't give to see my Leafs wear these beauties at home again. :nod:

smiling-tomas-ap-dl.jpg

These would be the better home jerseys.

Toronto-Maple-Leafs-93-Doug-Gilmour-Blue-75th-CCM-Throwback-Stitched-NHL-Jersey.jpg

This is the best home jersey.

slide_331629_3285481_free.jpg

Last edited:

Jatt

Sep 28, 2005
You'd figure the easiest solution is to adopt the NFL rule of home team gets to choose, that way if the Rangers want their darks at home, done, Calgary wants the C of Red so red jerseys, done, Winnipeg has the tradition of the white out so white jerseys at home, done. Of course this is the simplest most practical fan-friendly solution, so obviously the NHL will say thanks but no thanks, we'll stick to the muck we got now. :shakehead

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Always preferred the white jerseys at home, no idea why they changed them.

Dark jerseys sell better and, as mentioned earlier, after the League implemented 3rd jerseys and more teams began featuring 3rds it became an increasing hassle for road teams. Picture it, Carolina, 2002. The Hurricanes go on a road-swing that touches the entire Southeast Division, going to Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Florida, and Washington. Florida informs Carolina they intend to wear their thirds. Despite Florida being the only team in the division with a third jersey, that means Carolina would have to pack both their white and red jerseys, both their white and red helmets, both sets of socks for each player, some back-ups of each item. On top of that, since they aren't returning to Raleigh in the middle of that swing, they have to schlep both sets of equipment with them the entire way, load and unload from their aircraft, load in and load out from the arenas...it's just extra logistical work that was avoided by the swap.

Last edited:

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
Maybe designate that one team wears dark helmets and the other white?

I'm curious what sort of consideration soccer leagues give to this, they seem to be okay with having both teams wear colors...

In Liverpool's first champions league match this year there was this problem. I guess they hadn't thought about it either.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Always preferred the white jerseys at home, no idea why they changed them.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And the NHL will switch them back again when they want another influx of cash. Same reason teams started coming up with a 3rd jersey. Everything is about money.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

It didn't seem to be an issue when the Coyotes were wearing their dark jerseys at home while the fans were in white.

fyi, the Sea of Red in Calgary started back when the Flames wore their white jerseys at home. Would it have been an issue if they were playing the Red Wings in the playoffs at the time? I think not.

Jatt

Sep 28, 2005
It didn't seem to be an issue when the Coyotes were wearing their dark jerseys at home while the fans were in white.

fyi, the Sea of Red in Calgary started back when the Flames wore their white jerseys at home. Would it have been an issue if they were playing the Red Wings in the playoffs at the time? I think not.

An issue? No, however it wouldn't have looked as sharp. Hell even the Raptors got punked by the Nets during their playoffs when New Jersey got word that Raptors were placing red t-shirts on all the seats to create a sea of red, instead of their usual blue road jerseys, they brought their alternative reds, Raptors management was getting made fun of on US media for weeks for that 'gaffe'.

New+Jersey+Nets+v+Toronto+Raptors+Game+1+GkFjvguWhxvl.jpg

hercules130

Mar 24, 2015
I do think that it was funny to see the Winnipeg game on Monday. Everybody in the arena wore white, plenty of fans wore the away white sweaters, yet when the team arrived they were in their dark blue sweaters.

However, I agree that home sweaters need to remain to be the colored ones as many teams identify themselves more to the colors.

Specifically for Winnipeg's case, I think Winnipeg should have asked for a waiver from the league and an agreement from Anaheim that Winnipeg would wear the white sweaters and Anaheim the colored sweaters throughout the series once the matchup was known. This way, there would not be logistical problem with Anaheim and Winnipeg would be color-coordinated with their fans.

YoungGuns

May 22, 2013
Calgary, AB
I don't see why it is so difficult. I prefer the home team wears white but I don't mind the dark. I think that the home team should have the option of which colour they want to wear. Though I see it could be an issue as the road team would have to carry to sets of uniforms on their road trips.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
You'd figure the easiest solution is to adopt the NFL rule of home team gets to choose, that way if the Rangers want their darks at home, done, Calgary wants the C of Red so red jerseys, done, Winnipeg has the tradition of the white out so white jerseys at home, done. Of course this is the simplest most practical fan-friendly solution, so obviously the NHL will say thanks but no thanks, we'll stick to the muck we got now. :shakehead

NFL teams have to pack for one game a week, and have several days in advance to coordinate all this stuff. NHL teams often have three or more games in different cities between trips home, and sometimes turn around after a home game and fly out an hour later. Not saying it'd be impossible by any means, but it's certainly a lot more logistically complicated than in the NFL.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
I personally believe that the teams should have their choice of color, including whites at home. Some teams would look better wearing whites at home than their color: Toronto, Winnipeg, Dallas, and Buffalo in my opinion. While the rest of the teams can wear their main color to make their jersey look good at home. I don't know how many other teams preference of wearing whites at home. It should leave up to their hand to decide their main color at home.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Dark jerseys sell better and, as mentioned earlier, after the League implemented 3rd jerseys and more teams began featuring 3rds it became an increasing hassle for road teams. Picture it, Carolina, 2002. The Hurricanes go on a road-swing that touches the entire Southeast Division, going to Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Florida, and Washington. Florida informs Carolina they intend to wear their thirds. Despite Florida being the only team in the division with a third jersey, that means Carolina would have to pack both their white and red jerseys, both their white and red helmets, both sets of socks for each player, some back-ups of each item. On top of that, since they aren't returning to Raleigh in the middle of that swing, they have to schlep both sets of equipment with them the entire way, load and unload from their aircraft, load in and load out from the arenas...it's just extra logistical work that was avoided by the swap.

I'm not disputing that. But that still doesn't change the fact that I as a fan would still prefer it if they wore white at home.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans

This actually is one of the ways the NHL has done THE BEST job at stuff like this.

It’s all about the equipment guys. Everyone’s third jerseys were color jerseys, and everyone wanted to wear their thirds at home.

It makes it ridiculously easier on the road team to only bring one set of jerseys — because they have to bring multiple sets of the whites in case of blood, ripping, etc on the road anyway.

I will guarantee you that most the “special circumstances†of a home team wearing white for a special occasion was a single one-game road trip, especially late in the season, when they’re balancing out home/road dates down the stretch.

It’s ridiculous to ask Vancouver to bring both sets on the road for a four-game trip to through MIN, CHI, STL and COL, for example.

Road Always White is a simple, intelligent, and wise decision. Yeah, seeing the visitors colors is fun. But there’s what? 8,000 people with a decent view of the road teams jersey in the arena anyway? Everyone else is too far away. Just look at them on TV when your team’s on the road.

CommunistDayKare

I'M SORRY RUM HAM
Mar 7, 2010
Tampa, FL

It would also be a nightmare for equipment managers because essentially they'd have to take both sets of uniforms for the whole team on the road with them because they may wear darks one game and whites another.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
It would also be a nightmare for equipment managers because essentially they'd have to take both sets of uniforms for the whole team on the road with them because they may wear darks one game and whites another.

Find a middle ground, allow teams to have up to four Jerseys one white, one other light though not necessarily white, and two Darks. Road teams always travel with at least one of their Dark Uniforms. Home team can wear any uniform as long as it contrasts with the road teams Jersey. This way the home crowd has the potential to see all of their teams jerseys worn at home. Also could lead to some interesting jerseys for the 3rd and 4th options.

For the Playoffs the Home teams decide what Jersey they are going to wear at home for the entire series before it begins.

Oh, also allow teams to mix and match their helmets and pants a bit. Really want to see a Dallas all green kit, or green pants and helmet with their road whites

Bps21*

Wearing white on the road has never made sense. Your colors are your flag...you carry it into the building. Instead every home game looks the same. You in your colors and a boring white opponent. Every opponent. Every single opponent. In white. Every night. Bruins are here...in white. Leafs are here...in white. So stupid.

Fly your flag into the building and season ticket holders get to see different looks and classic colors repped.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Wearing white at home is silly. The Leafs' colour is blue, they should wear blue in their own arena.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad