Jan 30, 2012
GTA
What I wouldn't give to see my Leafs wear these beauties at home again. :nod:

smiling-tomas-ap-dl.jpg

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
what I want:

Road team always wears dark uniform

Home teams wear white by default but can choose a dark jersey if it doesn't clash with the road team.

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
what I want:

Road team always wears dark uniform

Home teams wear white by default but can choose a dark jersey if it doesn't clash with the road team.

The way it is now fans pretty much see the same basic color pattern for every single home game. The home team's dark jersey and the opponents all wearing the same color - white. It had to be much better when you could see Toronto's blue or Chicago's red coming into your building.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The way it is now fans pretty much see the same basic color pattern for every single home game. The home team's dark jersey and the opponents all wearing the same color - white. It had to be much better when you could see Toronto's blue or Chicago's red coming into your building.

No. I want to see my team wearing our colors at home. The Rangers are the blushirts. Why shouldn't they be wearing blue? Calgary's sea of red should be just that...red. Besides, if we're all into the tradition and heritage of the sport, home colors is the way to go.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I think the one of the hockey minor leagues does a split where they switch from home-dark to home-white at the midpoint of the season. It could be the AHL, or maybe one of the major-juniors.

Personally, I like it as is. I wouldn't like going to the Garden and not seeing lots of black and gold on the ice. Plus, if you're buying a jersey and you want to "match" your home team, you get the dark colors, which is your actual team's colors. And at least in Boston, the third jersey isn't a huge "mismatch".

Splitting the season could bump jersey sales - people might buy the color that they see the players playing in at home, making both jerseys popular. The only thing I wouldn't like about this is for watching replays - if you're flashing back to earlier this season or last year, you can immediately tell which arena the teams are playing in by the jersey colors. Wouldn't be that way if you had home-black for half the season and home-whites the other half.

And for the record, the Bruins did wear home whites one game. I don't mind that at all - makes it special.

That said, I can definitely see an exception being made for the Jets. The whiteout is just awesome to see.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I think the one of the hockey minor leagues does a split where they switch from home-dark to home-white at the midpoint of the season. It could be the AHL, or maybe one of the major-juniors.

Personally, I like it as is. I wouldn't like going to the Garden and not seeing lots of black and gold on the ice. Plus, if you're buying a jersey and you want to "match" your home team, you get the dark colors, which is your actual team's colors. And at least in Boston, the third jersey isn't a huge "mismatch".

Splitting the season could bump jersey sales - people might buy the color that they see the players playing in at home, making both jerseys popular. The only thing I wouldn't like about this is for watching replays - if you're flashing back to earlier this season or last year, you can immediately tell which arena the teams are playing in by the jersey colors. Wouldn't be that way if you had home-black for half the season and home-whites the other half.

And for the record, the Bruins did wear home whites one game. I don't mind that at all - makes it special.

That said, I can definitely see an exception being made for the Jets. The whiteout is just awesome to see.

I believe that would be the ECHL.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

I don't know about the whole CHL, but in the OHL the teams wear white at home until new years, then switch to dark at home. Its a pretty great system if you ask me. :nod:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Sabres donned white at home for the their finale this year. Also, wore white IIRC vs the Leafs in a previous year too, but that's not done with any regularity either.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I miss when the home team always wore the white jerseys. Always seems odd to see arena's like Winnipeg, Ottawa or Pittsburgh very white... only to have the team on the ice wearing red/blue/black.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Not on a regular basis. The reason for the switch back to dark homes (at least the reason given) were so that teams on road trips don't have to carry two sets of uniforms (since most alts were dark in color). Teams will occasionally wear white at home, but those games are usually when the road team has a one off trip. I think the road team may have to agree to the change.

Given Winnipeg will spend a year in the East and almost every team that comes in will probably be on a road trip I doubt they will wear white at home much.

Say what about Winnipeg playing a year in the East????

Since the Ducks were only going to Winnipeg it should have been a simple request.

Bruins wore road uniforms once at home this season at the request of Philadelphia.

http://flyers.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2014020970

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yup, and on that note I moved all the new posts into a new topic and closed the old one. Think that this is a valid conversation point, but not so much people unintentionally referencing posts from four years ago.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
No. I want to see my team wearing our colors at home. The Rangers are the blushirts. Why shouldn't they be wearing blue? Calgary's sea of red should be just that...red. Besides, if we're all into the tradition and heritage of the sport, home colors is the way to go.

For most fans today, the tradition and heritage of the sport only dates back to 1986 - whites at home, four divisions named after people who didn't deserve it, and Ron Maclean always hosted HNIC (unless you know about Dave Hodge) :laugh:

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States

I actually like it that the dark jerseys are for home now. You see your team colors on the ice for home games. Like Nashville with their full yellow, calgary with sea of red, philly with orange especially during playoffs.

5695430944_1d8b413075.jpg

flyers-orange-crush-680uw-680x336.jpg

CofRed.jpg

Last edited:

nerdman60

Jun 28, 2007
Vancouver, BC

This. NHL needs to go back to home whites!

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Soccer does it right, IMHO: teams both wear their colours, unless there's a clash, then the home team wears another uniform.

This is what I'd like to see.

Hawks @ Blues? Red vs blue.
Hawks @ Stars? Red vs green.
Hawks @ Kings? Red vs black (though preferably gold or purple ;))
Hawks @ Sharks? Red vs teal
Hawks @ Avs? Well.... red vs burgundy would be a bit much, so red vs white.

Some colors would clash, like blue vs black, and it'd therefore necessitate the home team to wear white in those circumstances, but it'd open the door for infinitely more color combinations. Plus, it'd give teams a bit of an incentive to be more creative with their third jerseys, rather than having them be the same color as their primaries.

Brady Skjei

Aug 12, 2010
This is what I'd like to see.

Hawks @ Blues? Red vs blue.
Hawks @ Stars? Red vs green.
Hawks @ Kings? Red vs black (though preferably gold or purple ;))
Hawks @ Sharks? Red vs teal
Hawks @ Avs? Well.... red vs burgundy would be a bit much, so red vs white.

Some colors would clash, like blue vs black, and it'd therefore necessitate the home team to wear white in those circumstances, but it'd open the door for infinitely more color combinations. Plus, it'd give teams a bit of an incentive to be more creative with their third jerseys, rather than having them be the same color as their primaries.

As someone who is red/green colorblind, plz no

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
huh..... that's honestly a caveat I had never considered before....

Well.... that all but kills what I wanted....

Maybe designate that one team wears dark helmets and the other white?

I'm curious what sort of consideration soccer leagues give to this, they seem to be okay with having both teams wear colors...

Bps21*

Was hilarious having the whole crowd in white like the road team.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Back in January Bettman was asked about this, and essentially said that

- Switching to darks at home was one of the more contentious debates he's overseen as commissioner,
- Teams in general don't want to go back, and
- Teams really didn't like the idea of letting the home team choose dark or light, which had been proposed as a compromise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad