Which Trade was Burke's best *** Reset April 28, 2014 ***

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Funny that he still is prone to those types of mistakes and was before he signed in Toronto.

He has a tendency to make hasty decisions, especially rims, and run around at times. He gets over excited with the physical play, especially in the corners.

Nice of Carlyle to come to his defenseman's aid and pump his tires a bit. He certainly needed the ego boost after leaving Toronto.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Burke unfortunately was the lead tire pumper and set the expectations too high . I still remember the press conference when he said this was a historic day for Leaf fans and this date will be written down as the turning point for our franchise when he was discussing the Phaneuf trade .

I remember this and I still get sick in my mouth when thinking about the BS he said that day....

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I remember this and I still get sick in my mouth when thinking about the BS he said that day....

Burke is a sales men when he speaks. Watched the draft lottery and he was the only guy pumping up his team there almost promising they would not be in the same situation the next season. When he hired their new GM it was all drama during the press conference

"Make no mistake about it folks, Brad is the general manager of this team, effective right now," Burke said, adding that Treliving was the only candidate the Flames interviewed.
Like if Brad was the pilot of a plane about to take off. We get it Burke, you will not answer the phone from now on.

"It's important people understand that. It speaks volumes for what we think of Brad as a general manager," Burke said.

And he does this with every signing, hiring, draft choice. "You are our #1, we believe in you". Then if that is the case is a completely different things seeing as what he does is selling confidence for the new guy and an aura that he and his know exactly what they are doing.

Not saying it is anything wrong with it but a lot Brian said or say should be taken with a large pinch of salt.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Burke is a sales men when he speaks. Watched the draft lottery and he was the only guy pumping up his team there almost promising they would not be in the same situation the next season. When he hired their new GM it was all drama during the press conference

Like if Brad was the pilot of a plane about to take off. We get it Burke, you will not answer the phone from now on.

And he does this with every signing, hiring, draft choice. "You are our #1, we believe in you". Then if that is the case is a completely different things seeing as what he does is selling confidence for the new guy and an aura that he and his know exactly what they are doing.

Not saying it is anything wrong with it but a lot Brian said or say should be taken with a large pinch of salt.

geesus man show some class and change that damn avi
:p:

Salming should be it.:naughty:

mikebel111*

Weird how fans tend to do that eh?

Of course, in Toronto if you don't become instant Wayne Gretzky or bobby Orr, were just a quick to turn on you.
This is 100% accurate
If Rielly doesnt become a great d man next season, watch out!

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Weird how fans tend to do that eh?

Of course, in Toronto if you don't become instant Wayne Gretzky or bobby Orr, were just a quick to turn on you.

This is 100% accurate
If Rielly doesnt become a great d man next season, watch out!

What's weird is it's fans like you two who do the most pimping of our prospects to defend the incompetence of mang and their failed accelerated retool .

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I love the Maple Leafs.

I don't really like the coach....or the star players.....or most of the role players. Oh and the management is awful, I don't like them much either.......or the scouts now that I come to think of it.

But man do I love the Leafs.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
We need 1 more team for our NHL GM League...if anyone is interested PM me....teams left to choose from are... the Wild, Flyers, Rangers, Jets, Hurricanes, Devils, Predators and Leafs. Message me for a link if you are interested.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I love the Maple Leafs.

I don't really like the coach....or the star players.....or most of the role players. Oh and the management is awful, I don't like them much either.......or the scouts now that I come to think of it.

But man do I love the Leafs.

:laugh: Freud would have a field day with some of these "fans".

mikebel111*

What's weird is it's fans like you two who do the most pimping of our prospects to defend the incompetence of mang and their failed accelerated retool .

I defend managment? Since when? I have been all over them because I know they will sign and overpay Dave Bolland likely and trade a good young C in Kadri because its a Leafs thing to do.
Dont call me something i am not:laugh:
Dion wont be dumped and nor should he. He isnt elite but until one of our d man step up, he shouldnr be let go no matter how much people dont like him
These so called Leaf fans have tried to drive Sundin out of town and looks like it was successful

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
getting rid of lebda for sure... and then having wilson cripple franson's development, at least he won't be re-signed, and we can watch him become a good 3-4 on a stanley cup winner one day... you are free franson

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Interesting looking back on these big Burke deals.

The Kaberle deal once promising, now comes down to Tyler Biggs. Liles and Colborne didn't turn out well with Leafs.

Still Kaberle was pretty much done as a Leaf, he was going to UFA. It was a freebie to pick Biggs. Jury is out on this one. Hope the kid has a big year with the Marlies.

Beauchemin for Lupul and Gardiner. Good deal for both teams, no winner here. Can't be termed a steal since Beauchemin has been terrific for ANA.

Versteeg for Percy and Leivo should start yielding returns soon, could be the best hidden deal of the group. See Percy and Leivo as important players for us in the near future.

Franson and a 4th rd pick (converted from the Lombardi deal) from Nashville was a solid low risk deal.

Considering Phaneuf and Ashton from Auile are still with the Leafs, this has to be the best deal considering none of the players Calgary got, are still with their team. Pretty lopsided deal.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Interesting looking back on these big Burke deals.

The Kaberle deal once promising, now comes down to Tyler Biggs. Liles and Colborne didn't turn out well with Leafs.

Still Kaberle was pretty much done as a Leaf, he was going to UFA. It was a freebie to pick Biggs. Jury is out on this one. Hope the kid has a big year with the Marlies.

Beauchemin for Lupul and Gardiner. Good deal for both teams, no winner here. Can't be termed a steal since Beauchemin has been terrific for ANA.

Versteeg for Percy and Leivo should start yielding returns soon, could be the best hidden deal of the group. See Percy and Leivo as important players for us in the near future.

Franson and a 4th rd pick (converted from the Lombardi deal) from Nashville was a solid low risk deal.

Considering Phaneuf and Ashton from Auile are still with the Leafs, this has to be the best deal considering none of the players Calgary got, are still with their team. Pretty lopsided deal.

You really should posts truths...Stajan is still with Calgary...

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
If you asked me two years ago, I would of said the Phaneuf deal without hesitation.

Now? It's the Gardiner deal and it's not even close. Gardiner is arguably our best defensemen while Dion Phaneuf has been declining at rapid rate over the last little while. His physicality has all but vanished from his game, and he was never great defensively. That combined with a lack of foot speed, I fear greatly for Phaneuf's future. Could be as early as next season that Phaneuf is 3rd best defensemen on this team, and he's paid 7M long term. What an atrocious contract.

TheThrill81*

Of the group? Kaberle's AINEC.

Versteeg's was a very meh trade, and the other two aren't trades that any GM should be bragging about considering the situation the Leafs were in.

There is something really wrong with you if you think Kaberle for Colborne + 2nd was better than getting Phaneuf for scraps.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Number 3 and 5 look pretty good also. In terms of what we gave up, 5 was the best. Both are crap, plus we also got a 4th out of that trade. Franson could be a 2nd+ if traded, Lombardi turned into a 4th. Since Versteeg absolutely sucks right now and Leivo/Percy are two of our top prospects. I think the Kaberle was the worst one by far. The actual Kaberle trade was great, as was the Colborne trade for the 4th after it, but trading 1st (Rakell; NHLer on a stacked team) and a 2nd (John Gibson; future franchise goalie) for Biggs (may not even be in the AHL next year). Then trading a 2nd for Liles. The pick was bad, but Damon Severson was someone who was available. That was terrible thinking and asset management.

hockeyfanz*

Why would fans expect Gretzky or Orr when we've had nothing even close to them? :help:

EVER

Hyperbole is what it is.

Who is the greatest Leaf to ever play anyway? If they are in the same conversation with all time greats Gretzky and Orr..I've never seen them play so it must be in the era of no goalie masks..helmets and 6 times...black and white tv with one televised game per week.

Its pretty amazing that in the history of this old franchise, the Leafs don't have a guy in the top 10 greatest players of all time...or do they?

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
EVER

Hyperbole is what it is.

Who is the greatest Leaf to ever play anyway? If they are in the same conversation with all time greats Gretzky and Orr..I've never seen them play so it must be in the era of no goalie masks..helmets and 6 times...black and white tv with one televised game per week.

Its pretty amazing that in the history of this old franchise, the Leafs don't have a guy in the top 10 greatest players of all time...or do they?

Terry Sawchuk, Charlie Conacher, Syl Apps?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad