The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Chance to vote Again

1. Kaberle for Liles/Biggs/Colborne
2. Beauchemen for Gardiner/Lupul
3. Versteeg for Percy/Leivo
4. Mayers/Hagman/Stajan/White for Phaneuf/Aulie/Sjostrom
5. Lebda/Slaney for Franson/Lombardi

Trying to decide, it's wasn't as easy as it first seemed, all are pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
I didn't know Liles played for Boston!

I dunno, I don't think it makes sense to substitute the picks for the players taken/traded for using those assets. You have to assess the trade exactly as it was. But, I'll have to say the Kaberle even before we knew we got that extra 2nd rounder.

ExplosiveLEAFman

Jan 6, 2004
I think one and four are very close. Four might get the edge because the Leafs probably gave up less in that deal.

If we subtract Liles from the Boston trade, I'm lean towards the Calgary trade being better.

Last edited:

NigelTufnel

Dec 3, 2010
Ottawa
1. Kaberle for Liles/Biggs/Colborne

Trying to decide, it's wasn't as easy as it first seemed, all are pretty good.

I'm not sure I like how you've set them up.

It's more like this:

1. Kaberle + TOR 2011 2nd rounder for Liles/Biggs/Colborne

Anyways, I'll vote for the Phaneuf/Aulie deal.

I love that we got Phaneuf, I always wanted him on the leafs and to get Aulie as well is just gravy.

RogerRoeper*

Hard to decide. We don't know what many of those young players will do.

The Phaneuf trade is outright robbery.

And I'm shocked he got Gardiner in a Beauchemin trade.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm not sure I like how you've set them up.

It's more like this:

1. Kaberle + TOR 2011 2nd rounder for Liles/Biggs/Colborne

Anyways, I'll vote for the Phaneuf/Aulie deal.

I love that we got Phaneuf, I always wanted him on the leafs and to get Aulie as well is just gravy.

For simplicity, I was going to put a * on Biggs, but generally speaking we wouldn't have drafted him if the Kaberle deal wasn't made so I just left it as is. I have no problem putting a * on it, but didn't want to complicate things too much.

NigelTufnel

Dec 3, 2010
Ottawa
The Versteeg deal may the dandy here if Leivo turns into the boom prospect as some are suggesting he may be.

I guess that's true for a lot of them though....if gardiner turns out, if percy turns out, etc.

For me, the Phaneuf deal was the only one that had me discounting it as too good to be true until it was confrimed.

unstuck

Dec 23, 2010
Toronto
Not enough love for what I now refer to as the "Lupul" trade. It's incredibly difficult to acquire an active player who can score without giving up anything overly valuable to your team

FireEverybody*

Phaneuf / Aulie
Liles/Biggs/Colborne
Gardiner/Lupul
Percy/Leivo

Out side Dion / Aulie they could move around lots.
Obviously I am big on Biggs here. :D

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Of the group? Kaberle's AINEC.

Versteeg's was a very meh trade, and the other two aren't trades that any GM should be bragging about considering the situation the Leafs were in.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I guess that's true for a lot of them though....if gardiner turns out, if percy turns out, etc.

For me, the Phaneuf deal was the only one that had me discounting it as too good to be true until it was confrimed.

Getting Aulie included should have gotten Sutter fired a year earlier. That was outright larceny.

NigelTufnel

Dec 3, 2010
Ottawa
For simplicity, I was going to put a * on Biggs, but generally speaking we wouldn't have drafted him if the Kaberle deal wasn't made so I just left it as is. I have no problem putting a * on it, but didn't want to complicate things too much.

Makes sense. Keep it simple.

Good thread idea BTW. Nice to debate some positives every once and a while.

NigelTufnel

Dec 3, 2010
Ottawa

Versteeg's was a very meh trade, and the other two aren't trades that any GM should be bragging about considering the situation the Leafs were in.

I disagree.

I think trading guys like Stajan, Hagman (who was a free agent signing) and White (who, although loved around here, was replaceable) for our new top defence pairing is a pretty astute move.

JMcLeaf

Out of curiosity what do you think the Leafs should have done when they were struggling? Just stay the course?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad