Which Tkachuk? Matthew vs Brady

Which Tkachuk Brother?

• Total voters

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
It's close. Matthew has better hands and skill, Brady is a smarter player and more respected relative to his role, which can impact the lockerroom and team outlook.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Agreed.

The thing is that they both want to play that aggressive, in your face and net-front presence type of game. And both are the most accurate examples of a modern day top line PWF that you can cite.

Thing is though that we can see already that Brady is going to be notably bigger and stronger than Matt is. And not only does he hit more frequently, but he hits harder too. And while its not really saying much, hes a more gifted skater than Matt is. So as far as textbook PWFs go, Brady seems to have a more solid foundation to build from.

Matt is unquestionably more skilled though, and should be good for 5 or 10 more points or so (consistently) each year. His hands are a notch above Bradys. But I would argue that its a smaller gap between them in skill versus the gap there will be in size and strength/physical dominance and hitting ability/intimation factor.

Brady wont be out of his league when Zack Kassian comes knocking at the door and looking to collect for the tab that hes been running up all night. Brady will set the tone and his opponents are just going to have to live with it for the most part, like Chariot did just the other night.

This 6'3 235lb perceived tough guy tried to get cheeky and throw a sucker punch to start the fight Brady (who was unhappy with him high sticking Stuezle twice in the previous game)....Yet Chairot ended up leaving the ice and went to straight to the locker room with what appeared to be a broken and bloody nose after Brady smashed him good.

Matt just doesnt have that imposing size to carry himself like the true heavyweights in the league can. He can be called out, and taken off his (physically). And there is nothing quiet about his confidence either - his bark has a reputation of being louder than his bite (among other things..).

So again hes making a bit less of an impact physically, and putting his teammates in precarious situations at times with his line straddling/crossing antics. While Brady on the other hand actually makes his teammates all stand up a little taller, and even inspires them to play a little bit harder/drags them into the battle with him emotionally. And he will never be accused of avoiding his problems (ie big men that want to hurt him).

Honest answer though, you really cant go wrong with either. Both are incredibly special in their own slightly unique way. The fact that their brothers and came from an NHL legend - who was admired for EXACTLY the same reasons - easily makes the Tkachuks one of the most lovable story lines in the modern day NHL. Even if you love to hate them, its still love.
Actually when you separate out home arena bias, both Tkachuks are 1-2 in the league in hits currently. Also the narrative about Matthew being the ‘run and hide’ type is weird, considering he has 14 career fights already and has layers a beating on a couple players. People also forget the whole Kassian incident was brought on by Tkachuk laying 3 massive hits in a row on him, and he is very capable of handing out punishment. Most of Matthews career has been used in a defensive role with Backlund and Frolik, so really hard to give home the nod for better linemates/role either.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Brady will end up being the better of the two. He's already outscoring him this year. Once Ottawa has some more talent on their roster and can routinely get sustained zone pressure, he's going to be a force.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I think Matthew is the more talented player, but Brady just has this "it" factor. Not to say Matthew doesn't too, but I think Brady is going to be special. I'd kill for either. Brady still has some catching up to do.

I'm tentatively taking Brady.

Agree with this as a Sens fan.

Although I will say that on the flip side of your comment, Brady is behind Matthew in skill, I feel like hes constantly underrated and overlooked in that department. He doesnt have the elite hands or shot (both are average to good) but his vision and IQ are elite. tHe is not some bruising dummy thats just running around on auto-pilot out there hitting everything that moves and slapping the puck at the net when it gets in range.

Brady knows exactly where to be to help generate a chance for his team. He makes elite plays off the cycle and from the boards, and its where his vision and IQ shines brightly. And while he might not be able to drive the offense like Matt can on his own line, hes every bit as useful a player in his own right . Especially once hes fully cemented himself as one of the hardest players in the league to play against.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Agree with this as a Sens fan.

Although I will say that on the flip side of your comment, Brady is behind Matthew in skill, I feel like hes constantly underrated and overlooked in that department. He doesnt have the elite hands or shot (both are average to good) but his vision and IQ are elite. tHe is not some bruising dummy thats just running around on auto-pilot out there hitting everything that moves and slapping the puck at the net when it gets in range.

Brady knows exactly where to be to help generate a chance for his team. He makes elite plays off the cycle and from the boards, and its where his vision and IQ shines brightly. And while he might not be able to drive the offense like Matt can on his own line, hes every bit as useful a player in his own right . Especially once hes fully cemented himself as one of the hardest players in the league to play against.
Oh Brady is plenty skilled. Awesome player. He's what Sharks fans wish Meier was.

Reactions: Samsquanch

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Matthews is great! Such a two way player with a goal scoring capability beyond the worlds.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think people are underestimating Brady's skill level because he's such a big kid. He can make some really elite plays around the net and is a significantly better skater and puck carrier than Matthew.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
I have no issues with people ranking Matthew over Brady in a vacuum, but as a Sens fan I don't think I'd trade Brady for Matthew.

Reactions: topshelf15

Keneeyo Fato Boiyo

Jan 5, 2019
How do you have a poll like this and then not compare their stats over their first 4 seasons?? If somebody would have actually bothered to do so they would clearly see Matthew is ahead. And this year may get to 100 points.

Matty Tkachuk has scored 30 goals plus on multiple occasions whereas Brady until this season had scored no more than 22.

Clearly the answer is Matthew.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Matthew was better in year 1 and 2 than Brady will probably ever be. I don't think that's slanderous either. Matthew was a puck dominating play driver the second he stepped onto NHL ice.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
How do you have a poll like this and then not compare their stats over their first 4 seasons?? If somebody would have actually bothered to do so they would clearly see Matthew is ahead. And this year may get to 100 points.

Matty Tkachuk has scored 30 goals plus on multiple occasions whereas Brady until this season had scored no more than 22.

Because Matthew plays in a much better situation to score points.

But Brady next to Gaudreau and Lindholm and he's at 90+ points.

Matthew Tkachuk had 28 points in his first 40 games last year until Gaudreau joined his line. That's a 57 point pace.

Brady has 59p in 72gp this year while bringing a much better all around game (with a lot less turnovers). Matthew makes a crazy amount of blind passes that result in awful giveaways in the middle of the ice.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Not saying Brady is better but this is too simplistic of a way to look at this.

Both players are very close in terms of ability, almost clones of each other. If you swapped both of the brothers, the numbers would look almost identical in my opinion. Brady would put up close to 100 next to Godreau and Lindholm and Matthew would be pacing at just under PPG.

Alot of variables to take into account here in my opinion.

Who they play with
Goal differential
Contracts
Leadership

Even though Matthew has almost 40 points more than Brady, this is a closer compatible than that number would indicate.

Reactions: LeProspector

Keneeyo Fato Boiyo

Jan 5, 2019
Because Matthew plays in a much better situation to score points.

But Brady next to Gaudreau and Lindholm and he's at 90+ points.

Matthew Tkachuk had 28 points in his first 40 games last year until Gaudreau joined his line. That's a 57 point pace.

Brady has 59p in 72gp this year while bringing a much better all around game (with a lot less turnovers). Matthew makes a crazy amount of blind passes that result in awful giveaways in the middle of the ice.
Tkachuk put over over 30 goals on multiple occasions playing with Backlund and Frolik? Years before even playing with Gaudreau. And Tkachuk helps make Gaudreau better just as much as Gaudreau helps him to be better. Matthew takes care of the hard physical down low play and soft hands in close. While Gaudreau takes care of zone entries, creating separation and looking for seams for passing and creating High danger scoring chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad