Speculation: Which teams will NOT try for Karlsson?

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
I mean, you can count the Devils out as far as trading for just EK.

If Ottawa wants to nuke the shit out of his value by including Ryan and his contract in the deal, then maybe the Devils can be considered a contender.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I imagine Calgary won't look too hard at Karlsson. With the cost to acquire him and then to re-sign him, we'd be better off keeping Hamilton.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Hypothetically speaking, this is what I might see the Jets trading for Karlsson.

Winnipeg:
Erik Karlsson

Ottawa:
Nic Petan
Eric Comrie
Marko Dano
Mathieu Perreault
Tyler Myers
1st 2019
1st 2020
2nd 2018/2019

I would include Trouba, but if he were to be involved then Ottawa would likely have to trade him away as soon as possible because he's obviously not going to want to sign with Ottawa for many reasons. Non-contender, Canadian team, messy management, he had lots of decency before re-signing with the Jets in 2016. Only way he'd sign is if they give him the stupidest contract in the world.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Hypothetically speaking, this is what I might see the Jets trading for Karlsson.

Winnipeg:
Erik Karlsson

Ottawa:
Nic Petan
Eric Comrie
Marko Dano
Mathieu Perreault
Tyler Myers
1st 2019
1st 2020
2nd 2018/2019

I would include Trouba, but if he were to be involved then Ottawa would likely have to trade him away as soon as possible because he's obviously not going to want to sign with Ottawa for many reasons. Non-contender, Canadian team, messy management, he had lots of decency before re-signing with the Jets in 2016. Only way he'd sign is if they give him the stupidest contract in the world.

Where is the blue chip prospect? Nothing against all those players, but I don't think 2 probable late first (not even one in this draft) and this package gets Winnipeg the best defenseman in the game. Roslovic, Vesalainen + would have to be part of any deal with Karlsson coming back for sure...

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You have the assets for,now you can debate if you should dp it but you do have the assets

I guess I should have said "realistic" assets. Larkin plus 2/3 of Mantha/6th/Rasmussen would likely be enough but we wouldn't contend for another 5+ years after that.

member 157595

Can't see the Leafs in on him. Maybe more so, I could see the Sens saying they wouldn't trade him to TO.

First of all, he'd cost too much in assets. Second, his contract won't fit the model the Leafs seem to have. Third, Leafs are not one Erik Karlsson away from being great. The money would be more useful spread out across 2 players. Lastly, I'd be very hesitant about that ankle.

Realistically, there's no way the Senators will trade Erik Karlsson to the Leafs. I'd be very interested as a UFA; he's Erik freaking Karlsson. But there's no way Ottawa will trade him to TO.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
If he would commit to a deal and the Leafs get Tavares I do Nylander + 1st + Liljegren with bells on. EK saucing to Matthews at ES and quarterbacking a power play with Marner and Tavares, I love Willy but come on.

But I think he will go out West.

Last edited:

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I understand your viewpoint about Karlsson's value, and I would not disagree. But at the price you are suggesting, which may very well be fair and in line with market value, I think it is extremely unlikely if not entirely improbable that Colorado is involved in those trade talks.

If Karlsson makes Colorado an immediate cup contender after making that trade, maybe Colorado does it. Do you feel like Colorado would be one of the top cup contenders if that made that trade? Ultimately, my point is that I don't believe that it does make Colorado a favorite, which makes the cost too much under the circumstances.

I think Colorado's defense would look a lot better with Karlsson on it than with Makar or Girard, that is for sure. He is 28 y old, it is not like he is old or anything, and I would think he would certainly consider signing with an up and coming team like Colorado, especially if they treat him and his family well and they make the playoffs (i definitely think they will this year with him in the line-up). It is not a complete "win-now" move, that is for sure... I don't remember the last time a 28 y old generational defenseman was for trade, and I'm pretty sure that if you don't get him now, you probably never have another chance in getting him later (even if he goes to UFA then you will compete against 29 teams (he woukd not go back to Ottawa)).

I don't see why it would prevent them signing Barrie. Rantanen will see a raise next year and I expect them to resign Varlamov, but they have a lot of room, and it should stay that way a while, especially if they trade Kerfoot + Girard.

Who is going to maje that much more money in the near future?

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
No point in the Canucks even being considered one of the 30 teams. Our team needs as many young assets for this rebuild, by the time we are playoff or even deep playoff contenders Erik would be around 32-33 probably and on the downswing with a heafty price tag.

member 157595

If he would commit to a deal and the Leafs get Tavares I do Nylander + 1st + Liljegren with bells on. EK saucing to Matthews at ES and quarterbacking a power play with Marner and Tavares, I love Willy but come on.

The current Leafs + Tavares + Karlsson - Nylander? We wouldn't necessarily be dominant in our own end but good freaking luck getting the puck away from us. :laugh:

Alas, it will not happen. I don't think Karlsson would sign here and I'm ever more confident Ottawa would never trade him to us. I also think Tavares re-signs.

Agreed.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The leafs do have the assets needed for karlsson but it's never happening unless he signs here.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I think the Blues would be very interested. Rumblings around St. Louis is that Parayko is available for a young center with term but I would believe that they'd deal him for Karlsson too. Blues need a PP weapon in the worse way and who better than Karlsson. Could we get away with not including Thomas along with Parayko? Obviously extended only.

I would advise against letting power play abilities factor into bringing someone to a team coached by Yeo.

sfoote

Jan 6, 2013
He can come to Van and play with the best swedish prospect right now.And he can even be Cpt Canuck...7th this year 2019 2nd.and J Dahlin back and maybe Baerschi..worth a shot...we have the cap to do it also...
Um, Rasmus Dahlin is going to be a Sabre.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
Oilers unlikely to be a serious contender for Karlsson, but i'm sure they will try...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Some on the Wild board are suggesting a Dumba for Karlsson swap. Maybe not ideal value for Sens, but Melnyk could pay Dumba about 55% of what Karlsson would be paid, and still get a very young, viable, Karlsson replacement to sell to the fans. Wild have a ready made D partner in Brodin for Karlsson.
Top 4 of ;
Suter Spurgeon
Brodin Karlsson

Yowza!
Still, not too sure of that deal for MN. Wouldn't be better off keeping Dumba for his prime years and saving that money for other things.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Dallas wont be in on him. We have a stupidly talented 1RD and while we could add Karlsson and have the best RD depth in the league we simply cant afford it because Him+Benn+Seguin would cost us a ton and our prospect pool isnt strong enough to land Karlsson and keep injecting youth on ELC's to maintain a competitive team with 3 10 million dollar contracts

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Montreal is difinetly not going after Karlsson. Him being a righty.

Tne only way I see Karlsson in MTL is if Weber goes the other way.

No way we see a right side of:
Karlsson
Weber
Petry

If Melnyk wants a very good defenseman who is still great and less expensive in real world money, then Weber can be an option.

But Habs should focus on acquiring a #1 center.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Hmmmmm
tumblr_os5nl1SZCm1s1e8dwo2_500.gif

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Some on the Wild board are suggesting a Dumba for Karlsson swap. Maybe not ideal value for Sens, but Melnyk could pay Dumba about 55% of what Karlsson would be paid, and still get a very young, viable, Karlsson replacement to sell to the fans. Wild have a ready made D partner in Brodin for Karlsson.
Top 4 of ;
Suter Spurgeon
Brodin Karlsson

Yowza!
Still, not too sure of that deal for MN. Wouldn't be better off keeping Dumba for his prime years and saving that money for other things.
Unfortunately we'd only have that top-4 for one season. Either Karlsson walks, or we re-sign him and (presumably) have to trade Spurgeon. Not that you couldn't get a pretty nice return for him, but it does leave a question mark on our right side.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Can the leafs really go 10+ for 3 players?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad