Speculation: Which teams will NOT try for Karlsson?

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Of the 30 non-Ottawa teams, which will NOT be making a trade offer to Ottawa for Erik Karlsson?

Provide reasoning and (circumstantial) evidence.

My top 5 candidates...

BOS - perfectly happy with McAvoy Carlo as their top two RHD in their D core going forward.

CAR - lots of young blueline talent, a new owner seeking to cut costs a bit, and a much bigger need at forward (and in net).

CBJ - Jones and Savard are good at, as RHD, with a bigger need at C and lots of cap space already tied up. Any cap that opens up is spoken for, as Werenski's extension will be costly.

STL - Same as Boston. Replace McAvoy Carlo with Pietrangelo Parayko.

LAK - there isn't tons of cap space to go around here. Can't afford next year to pay $10M plus cap hit to all of Kopitar AND Doughty AND Karlsson.

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Wouldn’t think Montreal would make a play. Would be 30 mil tied up in Karlsson, Weber and price

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Wouldn’t think Montreal would make a play. Would be 30 mil tied up in Karlsson, Weber and price
What if Bergevin offers Weber and/or Price in the deal? If Ottawa is trading Karlsson out, they could use a guy like Weber. Especially with his salary dropping in later years. Craig Anderson is also quite old, so Price could maybe be appealing to Dorion.

I don't know if a deal could get done, but IMO it is likely that Bergevin would at least call up Dorion to offer Weber and a small add for Karlsson. Dorion then tells him the "plus" needs to be bigger and Bergevin says "okay no thanks", but the offer is IMO likely attempted by Montreal. Just to see if they can possibly rip off Dorion, who is in a high pressure situation.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah at the very least every team is going to inquire about what Ottawa is looking for and what it would take from their team. All 30 teams will do at least that.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I can't see the Wings doing it solely because I would hope Holland knows we don't have anywhere close to the assets that it would take to get him. Would simply be a waste of time to try.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
At most, Detroit will call, Ottawa will ask for Larkin+, and DET will hopefully hangup.

Understandable on both sides.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Yeah at the very least every team is going to inquire about what Ottawa is looking for and what it would take from their team. All 30 teams will do at least that.
Do you think the Kings would attempt to add Karlsson and extend him, and then trade one of Kopitar / Doughty to stay cap compliant?

The only other options I can see there would be...

(A) to keep all 3 and then trade away 4 or more depth players. That would be an EXTREMELY top heavy salary structure and probably end horribly.

(B) the Kings trade for Karlsson knowing full well they can only afford to have him this season and plan to let him walk next summer. Good idea for a team that didn't make the playoffs last season?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
There will only be 3 or 4 teams with serious interest.
I think Karlsson will play on either Vegas, Edm, NJ, Leafs, Sabres, San Jose, NYR or Tampa next season.
I have a feeling he really wanna play in Tampa because of Hedman and the chance to win. He also loves to golf (i do aswell) and it might sound stupid but stuff like that would be a part of the decision if i was him.

I grew up in a similar climate as him in Sweden and i can honestly say this, i would do alot to be able to live in a place with no snow from October to March/April :laugh: and the ability to golf etc all year. Tampa has alot of good players and it would require a good amount of change the next couple years because of the cap but i have a feeling he really wanna play in Tampa.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Do you think the Kings would attempt to add Karlsson and extend him, and then trade one of Kopitar / Doughty to stay cap compliant?

The only other options I can see there would be...

(A) to keep all 3 and then trade away 4 or more depth players. That would be an EXTREMELY top heavy salary structure and probably end horribly.

(B) the Kings trade for Karlsson knowing full well they can only afford to have him this season and plan to let him walk next summer. Good idea for a team that didn't make the playoffs last season?

I don’t think it would be a good idea for most teams to acquire Karlsson, but you have to ask. Maybe Ottawa REALLY likes Muzzin and Kempe or something. Then LA can acquire him without gutting their team, and they just need to ship some cap out later this summer.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Boston might. Chara isn’t getting any younger. And I would assume Krug would go back in the deal. As far as teams I don’t think that would make a play:

Buffalo, Montreal, Rangers, Flyers, Winnipeg, St Louis, Columbus, Nashville, Calgary, Minnesota, Anaheim, LA, Dallas.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
My bet would the jets would have interest but the cap is about to be an issue, suppose it could work if Buff+Myers/Perrault/Little are moved out.

Not a likely scenario though.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I can't see the Wings doing it solely because I would hope Holland knows we don't have anywhere close to the assets that it would take to get him. Would simply be a waste of time to try.

You have the assets for,now you can debate if you should dp it but you do have the assets

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I don’t think it would be a good idea for most teams to acquire Karlsson, but you have to ask. Maybe Ottawa REALLY likes Muzzin and Kempe or something. Then LA can acquire him without gutting their team, and they just need to ship some cap out later this summer.
Okay sure.

But you can't pay Kopitar Doughty Karlsson Quick just under $40 million and then pay 19 other guys and be a playoff team.

So basically what I'm getting at is, would the Kings consider trading Doughty or Kopitar so they can afford Karlsson? I think the answer is "probably not". They aren't gonna get a good goalie much cheaper than Quick, so they keep him if they want to be competitive.

It's basically just putting your team into cap hell and screwing your team over to extend Karlsson, unless you trade Doughty or Kopitar. This isn't so much my opinion as it is mathematics. The numbers do not work.

The other angle is trading for him, keeping him one year to try to win a cup and let him walk. The thing is here though, L.A. isn't a cup favourite even with Karlsson, and they really need to keep their good young assets instead of trading them for one year rentals.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
He can come to Van and play with the best swedish prospect right now.And he can even be Cpt Canuck...7th this year 2019 2nd.and J Dahlin back and maybe Baerschi..worth a shot...we have the cap to do it also...

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Okay sure.

But you can't pay Kopitar Doughty Karlsson Quick just under $40 million and then pay 19 other guys and be a playoff team.

So basically what I'm getting at is, would the Kings consider trading Doughty or Kopitar so they can afford Karlsson? I think the answer is "probably not". They aren't gonna get a good goalie much cheaper than Quick, so they keep him if they want to be competitive.

It's basically just putting your team into cap hell and screwing your team over to extend Karlsson, unless you trade Doughty or Kopitar. This isn't so much my opinion as it is mathematics. The numbers do not work.

The other angle is trading for him, keeping him one year to try to win a cup and let him walk. The thing is here though, L.A. isn't a cup favourite even with Karlsson, and they really need to keep their good young assets instead of trading them for one year rentals.

Again, I don’t think it’s a good idea for most teams to acquire him, but they will at least ask about the price.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Buffalo, Calgary, Boston, Anaheim, LA, Montreal. Rangers, Jets, Columbus Nashville.

Those are the teams that I dont think would even make a play for him. Either because they're about to enter full rebuilds and wouldn't have interest in giving up assets for Karlsson right now(Rangers, Montreal) or because the team is already very strong on Defense and probably not really looking to make such a huge change(CBJ, Nashville, Winnipeg, etc).

I think there's also then a list of teams that would probably try and acquire him, but dont realistically(Key word here) have the assets to pull it off. Detroit, New Jersey, Minnesota, Islanders, Pittsburgh, Vancouver, Chicago, and Washington. These teams probably make a play for EK but dont have the assets that are actually realistically available, to get Karlsson. Obviously a team like the Caps could offer up Kuznetsov++ and make a real good offer, but they're not moving Kuznestov, Backstrom, or Ovy.

I think the leading contenders for Karlsson will be:

- Tampa Bay(Can offer Sergachev as the main piece, as well as a Center like Johnson and then prospects like Foote/Raddtsh/Katchouk)

- Edmonton(Chia will go all in on a guy like EK, not sure they have the assets to outbid some other teams but I'm sure Chia would make #10, RNH, Poolparty, Yamamoto, etc. available and perhaps a wild card addition of a Lucic/Ryan swap which would be highly beneficial to Melnyk and his money)

- Colorado(Have a plethora of future assets that can be offered, most notably and perhaps most valuable of anything the Sens could be hoping to get back, there own 2019 1st round pick that would almost certainly be Top 5 next year following Karlsson and Hoffman trades this summer. Also have a number of quality prospects such as Timmins, Makar, Bowers, Meloche, etc. and a piece that could be included in Tyson Barrie)

- Toronto(With the rumor of the Leafs being big time in the race for Tavares, they could offer up Nylander+ to get Karlsson after signing Tavares, even without JT the chance to add an elite RHD like Karlsson would be a huge get for the Leafs and enough for them to look at moving Nylander or Marner to make it happen)

- Philly(They have a plethora of good young Dmen, a pair of draft picks in the first round this summer, and a good group of young forwards. Another team that could put together a very good package of future assets for EK. Between Morin, Sanheim, Myers, Hagg, Rubtsov, Frost, Lindblom, and Pick #14 + #19 this year, they could make a very competitive package).

- Las Vegas(Very unfortunate that they moved the picks they did for Tatar. I feel they're a little behind the pack because of that. But they do still have some good young players in Tuch/Theodore/Miller, and a few quality prospects like Brannstrom, Glass, Suzuki, and Hagg)

IMO that's the 6 teams that will both have A) A serious and legitimate interest in Karlsson, and B) have the assets that could actually be traded, to put together a package that gets the job done.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Again, I don’t think it’s a good idea for most teams to acquire him, but they will at least ask about the price.
I still disagree that LAK would even ask about the price of an extended Karlsson. Just makes no sense to screw their team with that trade.

If you mean they would ask about the price of trading for his current one year deal as a season long rental, just to see if Ottawa is basically giving him away at a steal of a price, then yeah okay.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I can't see us trading for him, they would want a big premium to send him our way. As a free agent yeah we'd be interested.

The real question of course is who does he want to play for? It's not a given any team trading for him will get to extend him so he could be the most expensive rental ever. That's fine for some teams but others it would be crippling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad