Speculation: Which teams will NOT try for Karlsson?

Seven0two

Apr 17, 2018
I think the Vegas trade for Tatar effectively removed the Golden Knights from serious consideration for Karlsson. I do think that something people constantly seem to be forgetting is the fact that Ottawa seems hell bent on forcing Bobby Ryan into any Karlsson deal, which makes it very tough for teams to be able to afford. That being said, with as much as $31m in cap space (depending on how much the cap goes up) I can easily imagine a scenario where VGK winds up taking on some of the Ryan contract facilitate a deal as a way of trying to get back into the first round this season. Obviously VGK would have to add something else to the pot to get there, but through the expansion draft and the Reaves deal, it's clear that the desire to trade cap space for assets does exist.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Don’t see Tampa trading for him. We already gave away our most valuable available assets for McDonagh (and NO, Point, Sergachev, and even Foote are not and never will be available for Karlsson so stop dreaming Sens fans), we almost certainly can’t afford his next contract, and even if we could I have serious doubts that he will live up to it. I’d probably offer McDonagh + Miller just to throw something out there with the idea of using him for a single season but that would be it - we already have a better 1D so there’s no need to overpay for another.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Wouldn’t think Montreal would make a play. Would be 30 mil tied up in Karlsson, Weber and price

Habs would probably offer Weber with a small + for 1 year of Erik, and then pitch to Erik and hope he resigns. Only 2 hours away from Ottawa, so transitionally it would be an easy move for him and his family. Other teams are going to be looking for him extended, but Montreal would be one of the few teams that could stand to live or die by the sword.

Alternatively, we could even do Weber + a 2nd or two for 1 year of Erik + Ryan... huge risk for the Habs but it could pay off in spades.

Trade the 3rd overall to Buffalo for ROR

Pitch to Tavares with that new group --- that team would be scary.

Internettoughguy314

Oct 20, 2017
I think the Blues would be very interested. Rumblings around St. Louis is that Parayko is available for a young center with term but I would believe that they'd deal him for Karlsson too. Blues need a PP weapon in the worse way and who better than Karlsson. Could we get away with not including Thomas along with Parayko? Obviously extended only.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Can't see the Leafs in on him. Maybe more so, I could see the Sens saying they wouldn't trade him to TO.

First of all, he'd cost too much in assets. Second, his contract won't fit the model the Leafs seem to have. Third, Leafs are not one Erik Karlsson away from being great. The money would be more useful spread out across 2 players. Lastly, I'd be very hesitant about that ankle.

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
Columbus
Arizona
Los Angeles
Toronto
Boston
Pittsburgh

The least these teams.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I think the Blues would be very interested. Rumblings around St. Louis is that Parayko is available for a young center with term but I would believe that they'd deal him for Karlsson too. Blues need a PP weapon in the worse way and who better than Karlsson. Could we get away with not including Thomas along with Parayko? Obviously extended only.

Thomas and Parayko to me is an excellent starting point but Ottawa would probably want a 1st round pick and maybe something more added as well.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Can't see the Leafs in on him. Maybe more so, I could see the Sens saying they wouldn't trade him to TO.

First of all, he'd cost too much in assets. Second, his contract won't fit the model the Leafs seem to have. Third, Leafs are not one Erik Karlsson away from being great. The money would be more useful spread out across 2 players. Lastly, I'd be very hesitant about that ankle.
I can understand what you’re saying but if Toronto offered the best package and they turned it dow because they don’t want to trade him to Toronto it would be a bad move. Considering both teams are heading in different directs.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I can understand what you’re saying but if Toronto offered the best package and they turned it dow because they don’t want to trade him to Toronto it would be a bad move. Considering both teams are heading in different directs.
I have to agree in general. But I don't think it comes to that.
And I still have a hard time believing that they'd allow it to happen.

But if the Leafs package is the best, they should take it.

Reactions: shortfuze

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis

I have not heard any of these rumblings... And even if it does make sense to move Parayko for a stud center with term (which could be argued for our against, and we do often on the Blues forum) it makes ZERO sense to move Parayko for an upgrade at our strength while at the same time giving up our best center prospect we have had in years. Ottawa would want Thomas also

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Source, because there are zero rumblings that Parayko is available unless you count random bloggers. With that said....why would they then move their only potential top 6 center plus Parayko for a guy in a position of strength? Doubt st. Louis would have any real interest in Karlsson unless they moved Pietrangelo

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Every team will try, but I can't see any team in the Atlantic winning the bid.

I think Colorado gets him, here is my prediction... Something like:

To Colorado: E. Karlsson + B. Ryan

To Ottawa: Ottawa's 2019 1st round pick, Cale Makar (or S. Girard), Alex Kerfoot and Colorado's 2019 1st round pick.

Reactions: Rebels57

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Every team will try, but I can't see any team in the Atlantic winning the bid.

I think Colorado gets him, here is my prediction... Something like:

To Colorado: E. Karlsson + B. Ryan

To Ottawa: Ottawa's 2019 1st round pick, Cale Makar (or S. Girard), Alex Kerfoot and Colorado's 2019 1st round pick.

Colorado would not pay that heavy of a price if Ryan's contract is included. They would have to insane to do so.

Also, by paying that heavy of a price, Colorado is essentially gutting their future prospect pool and would for all intents and purposes be going "all in" to win a cup. Unfortunately, they still would not have the team to win a cup IMO and they would have used a lot of their available cap space. They would almost assuredly lose Barrie in a couple of years as well.

It would be a horrific move on the part of Colorado IMO.

I do not see any possibility that Colorado considers including Makar in any package. Both Girard and Makar should be close to untouchable for the Avs at this moment in time.

If Ottawa is trading Hoffman and Karlsson, Colorado would almost be idiotic not to wait the situation out and see where the Senator's 2019 first round draft pick ends up. If they want Karlsson, they could have a shot with him as a UFA in 2019. If not, they are still better off not trading for him with that kind of package.

Reactions: Miri

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Winnipeg would consider it, but if Karlsson doesn't want to consider Winnipeg as his option he'll just walk away.

I'd consider it if I was Karlsson because Winnipeg is a contending team and an organization that has it all together with amazing players to play with who care about one another.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Colorado would not pay that heavy of a price if Ryan's contract is included. They would have to insane to do so.

Also, by paying that heavy of a price, Colorado is essentially gutting their future prospect pool and would for all intents and purposes be going "all in" to win a cup. Unfortunately, they still would not have the team to win a cup IMO and they would have used a lot of their available cap space. They would almost assuredly lose Barrie in a couple of years as well.

It would be a horrific move on the part of Colorado IMO.

I do not see any possibility that Colorado considers including Makar in any package. Both Girard and Makar should be close to untouchable for the Avs at this moment in time.

If Ottawa is trading Hoffman and Karlsson, Colorado would almost be idiotic not to wait the situation out and see where the Senator's 2019 first round draft pick ends up. If they want Karlsson, they could have a shot with him as a UFA in 2019. If not, they are still better off not trading for him with that kind of package.

Maybe you can remove Colorado's first if Ryan is included, but I fail to see how Ottawa would trade arguably the best defenseman in the league at 28 years old without an blue chip prospect coming back. I mean, I get that you like Girard and Makar, but chances they become as good as Karlsson are slim to none.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I think Winnipeg would consider it, but if Karlsson doesn't want to consider Winnipeg as his option he'll just walk away.

I'd consider it if I was Karlsson because Winnipeg is a contending team and an organization that has it all together with amazing players to play with who care about one another.

Winnipeg has no first in 2018. Hard sell to Ottawa.

Jan 21, 2018
Even the KHL is going to try and they have zero chance. Every NHL team will make their pitch.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Of the 30 non-Ottawa teams, which will NOT be making a trade offer to Ottawa for Erik Karlsson?

Provide reasoning and (circumstantial) evidence.

My top 5 candidates...

BOS - perfectly happy with McAvoy Carlo as their top two RHD in their D core going forward.

CAR - lots of young blueline talent, a new owner seeking to cut costs a bit, and a much bigger need at forward (and in net).

CBJ - Jones and Savard are good at, as RHD, with a bigger need at C and lots of cap space already tied up. Any cap that opens up is spoken for, as Werenski's extension will be costly.

STL - Same as Boston. Replace McAvoy Carlo with Pietrangelo Parayko.

LAK - there isn't tons of cap space to go around here. Can't afford next year to pay $10M plus cap hit to all of Kopitar AND Doughty AND Karlsson.

I would think the Rangers wouldn't. They are not close to competing right now—Karlsson or no Karlsson. Don't think they would give up the pieces it would take. They would likely be more open to signing him as a FA if he gets to that pint.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Toronto strikes me as a no based on the fact Ottawa wouldn't be too keen to send him our way barring an overpay we wouldn't subscribe to. But, based on Ottawa's degree of ineptitude lately, they may think we are in a different division or conference or don't have a rivalry of any sorts or are a basketball team, who knows.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Maybe you can remove Colorado's first if Ryan is included, but I fail to see how Ottawa would trade arguably the best defenseman in the league at 28 years old without an blue chip prospect coming back. I mean, I get that you like Girard and Makar, but chances they become as good as Karlsson are slim to none.

I understand your viewpoint about Karlsson's value, and I would not disagree. But at the price you are suggesting, which may very well be fair and in line with market value, I think it is extremely unlikely if not entirely improbable that Colorado is involved in those trade talks.

If Karlsson makes Colorado an immediate cup contender after making that trade, maybe Colorado does it. Do you feel like Colorado would be one of the top cup contenders if that made that trade? Ultimately, my point is that I don't believe that it does make Colorado a favorite, which makes the cost too much under the circumstances.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Can’t see the Jets being interested in him due to cap reasons. If we went after a big fish it wouldn’t be EK, it would be JT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad