Which teams will benefit or be hurt by a division realignment

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So it sounds like the all Canadian division is all but a sure thing, that means every division is getting changed.

So who will benefit and who will struggle because of the change?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Buffalo will have a rough ride. A Pacific Division team would likely benefit the most. Vancouver would have the greatest time zone advantage.

I agree Buffalo would be in a division with Tampa Boston, Both New York teams Philadelphia and either Washington or NJ.

It won't be good for them.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Buffalo will have a rough ride. A Pacific Division team would likely benefit the most. Vancouver would have the greatest time zone advantage.

I initially thought the Pacific teams would benefit, but wouldn't it be likely we'd wind up in a division with the nearest central teams- Colorado and Dallas, for starters?

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Toronto's Steve Dangle podcast today thinks the Leafs would be at the top, "marginally". And that the degree of separation between the remaining 5 teams (sorry Ottawa) is minimal.

I think we would see some epic matchups. It's hard to predict which team matches up best with the rest of the division, considering we're looking at anywhere between 6 to 12 games between the same teams for the entire division. Styles make fights as they say in boxing.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Vegas benefits greatly potentially. Some mix of Calgary, Vancouver and Edmonton are the next best teams in the Pacific.

It will be Vegas, Arizona, LA, San Jose, Anaheim and one other team from the Central, probably Dallas?

They're going to clean up that division and will be the division winner with the most points/separation.

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
St. Louis, Nashville, Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas, Colorado. That's going to be a blood bath. Even with the 'Hawks rebuilding, and the Wild and the Preds in transition, St. Louis, Dallas and Colorado are going to be tough teams to face. And I wouldn't discount the Hawks, Preds or the Wild having a sneaky good season simply because they are good teams that have some holes.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I initially thought the Pacific teams would benefit, but wouldn't it be likely we'd wind up in a division with the nearest central teams- Colorado and Dallas, for starters?

Yes, I mean one Pacific Division team. Colorado, Dallas and Vegas look like locks, but that leaves one of Anaheim, Arizona, Los Angeles Minnesota and San Jose (none of which look very good) as a playoff team.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Depends how the division are aligned if this is what ends up happening.

As for an All-Canadian division it depends on how many game are within the division and how many are out of the division [if any].

Teams like Ottawa and Montreal and quite frankly all Canadian teams have a tendency to bring their best games against Toronto. Whether that stays the same if they're playing each 10ish times remains to be seen.

The NHL has a tendency to do some pretty stupid things in an effort to appease casual and\or part-time fans making it hard to make any concrete assertions at this juncture in time.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Could help Ottawa secure another top 3 draft as they don't have anyone to dummy points off of in the Canadian division.

Reactions: Senator23

Cotton

May 13, 2013
They were 7 and 7 in 14 games last year. 5 of those wins were in 5 games against Vancouver and Ottawa. Only 2 wins in 9 games against Edm, Mtl, Winnipeg and Calgary

The Leafs also went through the Babcock drama and had injuries to several key players. You know, context.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It's gonna suck for Vancouver and Winnipeg who have nobody else in their timezone to play. It's worse for Vancouver though IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad