Which teams will benefit or be hurt by a division realignment

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Can't wait for Toronto/Montreal/Ottawa fans to learn about the magic of the Matthew Tkachuk friendship tour 2021.
That’ll be funny to watch. I think the western Canada teams being bigger and more physical than the East will definitely be a factor as the season grinds along.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That’ll be funny to watch. I think the western Canada teams being bigger and more physical than the East will definitely be a factor as the season grinds along.

It'll be fun with Toronto and Montreal fans actually watching some Western Conference games this season; maybe it'll add to bit more education on this forum that seems to be lacking.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
Fans in eastern Canada who have to go to work in the morning are about to discover why time zone based divisions are a thing. When the Wild were in the Northwest it was awful, there were so many games that ended late. People were constantly going into work on five hours sleep or missing the ends of games.

I'm hoping the Wild don't get stuck in the Pacific this season. That would be ridiculous.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
No use bitching about things you can't change. Vancouver is a long way away from Ott, MTL , and Toronto. They will be screwed the most next year, but the year after, as part of a new division including Seattle, will have their best schedule yet.

I would say Vancouver has the greatest travel advantage. They get to knock out Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal all in one 4-6 day road trip. This gives them time to acclimate to that time zone. Every team that flies to Vancouver is there for 36-48 hours.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
It'll be fun with Toronto and Montreal fans actually watching some Western Conference games this season; maybe it'll add to bit more education on this forum that seems to be lacking.
Yeah no east coast fans watch the western conference teams unless they’re playing their team because they’re so late. Which is fair.

I think it’ll be a bit of shock. All the combination of games between Vancouver/Edmonton/Calgary/Winnipeg always turn so physical and grindy. None of Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, Tampa, or Toronto play that way, with the later 2 especially focusing on speedy north-south play which could burn the slower Western Canadian teams.

So both sides will have to adapt.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Yeah no east coast fans watch the western conference teams unless they’re playing their team because they’re so late. Which is fair.

I think it’ll be a bit of shock. All the combination of games between Vancouver/Edmonton/Calgary/Winnipeg always turn so physical and grindy. None of Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, Tampa, or Toronto play that way, with the later 2 especially focusing on speedy north-south play which could burn the slower Western Canadian teams.

So both sides will have to adapt.

Toronto is built wrong for the division they are about to be in, its going to be painful from a physical perspective.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I would say Vancouver has the greatest travel advantage. They get to knock out Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal all in one 4-6 day road trip. This gives them time to acclimate to that time zone. Every team that flies to Vancouver is there for 36-48 hours.

They usually go through Winnipeg and Alberta first. That said, cross country travel has always been an advantage for west coast teams though, since west to east travel is easier then east to west. The west team playing in Eastern zone is starting at 4-5 pm, so late afternoon on his clock, while the eastern player in the west is starting at 9-10pm on his clock, closer to bed time.

kelso

Jul 15, 2020
Oilers/Canucks get screwed because they move from a super soft division where playoffs were guaranteed to one where they are now likely to miss.
Jets/Leafs benefit the most because they get to avoid Stars/Avs and the Lightning.

Habs/Sens also benefit because it'll be better for their tank. No Buffalo or Detroit.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Toronto will have a harder time in a all Canadian division then in the Atlantic, 6 equal teams in Canadian division,
Atlantic has Tampa, Boston is on a decline.

I don't know that I agree with that

For me Toronto probably has the bes top to bottom forward group although Winnipeg can make a case.

If their #1 goalie got hurt they are probably the least screwed although Montreal can make a case although Toronto does have Aaron Dell as their #3 so they probably get the edge here

They didn't take any major hits to their defense like Calgay and Vancouver did.

I think Toronto or Winnipeg wins the division

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't know that I agree with that

For me Toronto probably has the bes top to bottom forward group although Winnipeg can make a case.

If their #1 goalie got hurt they are probably the least screwed although Montreal can make a case although Toronto does have Aaron Dell as their #3 so they probably get the edge here

They didn't take any major hits to their defense like Calgay and Vancouver did.

I think Toronto or Winnipeg wins the division

I think anyone without homer glasses would be hard pressed to crown the Leafs the deepest forward group when outside of their top 4 it's essentially a 2013 all-star roster and the likes of Jimmy Vesey.

In terms of major hits, Vancouver added Nate Schmidt, Calgary added Tanev, Valimaki and has the emergence of Rasmus Andersson. Those teams are arguably better defensively today than they were to end the season last year.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
The Leafs also went through the Babcock drama and had injuries to several key players. You know, context.

0 playoff series wins since Matthews was 6. He's now 23. Something is fundamentally broken in Toronto...maybe they fix it next year, maybe they don't.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

It will be funny to watch the faster and more talented Eastern teams play against big bodies with regular season refs that don't swallow their whistles like the playoffs

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I’ve read some pretty stupid stuff. Normally you’re not to bad. But damn dude that’s some outright stupid stuff. You drunk? Leafs and Habs fans are huge fan bases that I can assure you watch a pile of western hockey games.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Well most east coast fans won’t stay up til 1am, and most don’t have centre ice to watch them.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I think anyone without homer glasses would be hard pressed to crown the Leafs the deepest forward group when outside of their top 4 it's essentially a 2013 all-star roster and the likes of Jimmy Vesey.

In terms of major hits, Vancouver added Nate Schmidt, Calgary added Tanev, Valimaki and has the emergence of Rasmus Andersson. Those teams are arguably better defensively today than they were to end the season last year.

The leafs scored 237 goals last season and subtracted 21 in the losses of Kapanen and Johnsson.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why would this be horrific for the Eastern?

This is just my opinion, but I'd rather have Carolina and Columbus than Boston and Buffalo. Boston's definitely better than us, and although Buffalo probably isn't, I'd rather have to battle with Carolin and Columbus for a spot in the standings than know we'll be worse than Boston, and better than Buffalo.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
This is just my opinion, but I'd rather have Carolina and Columbus than Boston and Buffalo. Boston's definitely better than us, and although Buffalo probably isn't, I'd rather have to battle with Carolin and Columbus for a spot in the standings than know we'll be worse than Boston, and better than Buffalo.
Meh doesn’t make much difference to me.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Do West Coasters watch Eastern hockey while they’re at work or something?
eastern games are usually on at 7pm EST, which is 5pm mountain time, when lots of people would be home or on the way. Although 4pm pacific would be pushing it. Still catch two periods maybe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad