Which teams will benefit or be hurt by a division realignment

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
So it sounds like the all Canadian division is all but a sure thing, that means every division is getting changed.

So who will benefit and who will struggle because of the change?

finally a way to guarantee that Canadian teams make the playoffs

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Can someone post like...what the divisions would be?

reddit.png

Probably something like this...it would be absolutely horrific for every single team in that eastern division, all the other teams it seems to be good/neutral for them

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yes, I mean one Pacific Division team. Colorado, Dallas and Vegas look like locks, but that leaves one of Anaheim, Arizona, Los Angeles Minnesota and San Jose (none of which look very good) as a playoff team.
I would expect the blues to be the team pushed to the pacific.

SJ, La, Ana, LV, Col, AZ, Dal and Stl would make up one us division.
Would it just be as simple as chi, Min, Nas replacing the 3 eastern CAD teams in the Atlantic to join, Det, Bos, BUF, Fla and TB.

The Metro would remain unchanged.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Wonder what they do for the playoffs. Do they do another play-in round or have a wild card series? or do they just do 4 from each division and re-seed everyone based on points.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Pacific division would be a cakewalk. Northeast would be a bloodbath. Without inter-divisional play (or at least without much of it), I feel pretty good chances are the 50% of teams that make the playoffs would not be the actual top 50% in the NHL.

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
reddit.png

Probably something like this...it would be absolutely horrific for every single team in that eastern division, all the other teams it seems to be good/neutral for them
If they add a temporary division and make the U.S. 6 teams each, it might work better.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Toronto's Steve Dangle podcast today thinks the Leafs would be at the top, "marginally". And that the degree of separation between the remaining 5 teams (sorry Ottawa) is minimal.

I think we would see some epic matchups. It's hard to predict which team matches up best with the rest of the division, considering we're looking at anywhere between 6 to 12 games between the same teams for the entire division. Styles make fights as they say in boxing.

Sure, but of you’re not a leafs homer why would anyone want to take what Stephen Daigle seriously? No one cares.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
If they add a temporary division and make the U.S. 6 teams each, it might work better.

Geographically yeah it'd be a lot easier to do:

Vegas, SJ, LA, Anaheim, Arizona, Colorado

TB, Florida, Dallas, Nashville, St. Louis, Carolina

Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Columbus

NYI, NYR, Philly, Washington, Boston, NJ

Playoff format would be a complete nightmare though

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
this.

adding Calgary Vancouver and Edmonton at the expense of Boston and TB is huge for us
Leafs vs Atlantic division
Habs: 0-1-2
Wings: 3-0
Sabres: 2-2
Bruins: 1-2
Senators: 3-0
Lightning: 2-1
Panthers: 1-2

Leafs vs Pacific division
Oilers: 1-1
Kings: 1-0-1
Knights: 1-1
Ducks: 1-1
Sharks: 1-1
Yotes: 2-0
Canucks: 2-0
Flames: 0-1-1

Just looking at this, the leafs were bullies and feasted on the weak teams. The Habs, panthers and sabres were more of a threat to your season than the Bruins and Lightning. Even by feasting on the Wings and sens, the leafs didn’t even make the playoffs. While every season is different, we can only go by what we saw last season. Leafs were stagnant this off season while the Oilers, Habs, Canucks, Senators and Flames got better.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
reddit.png

No that's horrific for Buffalo, you got , Boston, Pittsburgh, Washington both New york team Philadelphia and New Jersey

that is argualby tougher than what the Atlantic was they probably finish higher than NJ that's it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sure, but of you’re not a leafs homer why would anyone want to take what Stephen Daigle seriously? No one cares.
Nhl should be targeting a regular October start for Seattle so I think they should be following the 12-13 schedule of 48 games or just make it 50.
If you won’t start with fans or just 4-5k of them then I don’t see the point in playing 60 games or more.

so if it is say 48 games it would be 8 games each against your 6 opponents.

for us teams in divisions of 8 it is 7 games against 6 teams and 6 games against 1 team.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Leafs vs Atlantic division
Habs: 0-1-2
Wings: 3-0
Sabres: 2-2
Bruins: 1-2
Senators: 3-0
Lightning: 2-1
Panthers: 1-2

Leafs vs Pacific division
Oilers: 1-1
Kings: 1-0-1
Knights: 1-1
Ducks: 1-1
Sharks: 1-1
Yotes: 2-0
Canucks: 2-0
Flames: 0-1-1

Just looking at this, the leafs were bullies and feasted on the weak teams. The Habs, panthers and sabres were more of a threat to your season than the Bruins and Lightning. Even by feasting on the Wings and sens, the leafs didn’t even make the playoffs. While every season is different, we can only go by what we saw last season. Leafs were stagnant this off season while the Oilers, Habs, Canucks, Senators and Flames got better.

To be fair the Leafs had 1 NHL goalie last year, now they have 3

Reactions: Rick C137

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
reddit.png

Wow at the Tampa division, that'll be some good hockey there.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Nhl should be targeting a regular October start for Seattle so I think they should be following the 12-13 schedule of 48 games or just make it 50.
If you won’t start with fans or just 4-5k of them then I don’t see the point in playing 60 games or more.

so if it is say 48 games it would be 8 games each against your 6 opponents.

for us teams in divisions of 8 it is 7 games against 6 teams and 6 games against 1 team.
I wouldn’t mind if it was like the shortened lockout season, the difference in teams would make it great.
To be fair the Leafs had 1 NHL goalie last year, now they have 3
Idk man, goaltending wasn’t the problem for the most part imo.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
True... but when you have a good defence to help the goalie, the sv% will most likely go up.

an 886 save% is not a defense problem that's just not being able to get a save, I'm not saying Toronto had a great defense they did not.

But I have a hard time blaming 886 save% on the defense even the #1 defense in the NHL needs a save once in a while.

A 3.66 GAA and 886 save % That means you don't have an NHL backup

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Could help Ottawa secure another top 3 draft as they don't have anyone to dummy points off of in the Canadian division.

Sens beat the Oilers twice I believe this past season. You never know. But yeah with a stronger division (no Red Wings!) points will be harder to earn.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Jack Campbell has 4 more losses than wins in his NHL career. Dell has more losses than wins over his last two NHL seasons.

Good luck with the notion that either is likely to step up and provide the Leafs with quality goaltending.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I wouldn’t mind if it was like the shortened lockout season, the difference in teams would make it great.

Idk man, goaltending wasn’t the problem for the most part imo.
A competent backup cost the leafs probably 10 points each of the last 2 seasons.

4-10-1 2 seasons ago, and 10-12-1 last year.

That’s just not a recipe for success.

and for the record, I’m not an Andersen hater, I also don’t understand why they would want to trade him unless they know his ask is crazy for his next contract

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
So it sounds like the all Canadian division is all but a sure thing, that means every division is getting changed.

So who will benefit and who will struggle because of the change?

We at least had a shot to beat Ottawa and maybe Buffalo and Florida. Now who can beat?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad