Which teams will benefit or be hurt by a division realignment

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Do West Coasters watch Eastern hockey while they’re at work or something?

Leaf/Habs/Sens games start at 5/5:30 in Calgary/Edmonton. It's pretty much right at the time most people are home :laugh:
I can't even guess how many Leafs/Canadiens games have been on while I've been cooking for my family.

I would wager more hockey fans from out West catch more Eastern games. I mean for Christ sake, on HNIC Calgary/Edmonton games start at 10pm Eastern; when Calgary/Edmonton are doing the Cali roadtrip, those games start at 10:30 Eastern, I'm sure most fans are staying up on a work night to watch two teams they don't care about.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The leafs scored 237 goals last season and subtracted 21 in the losses of Kapanen and Johnsson.

Of all the Canadian teams, Toronto had the least 10 goal scorers. Less than Ottawa, actually.
No one ever questioned the top 6 of Toronto, I think most people would agree it's among the top 10 of the league, the question was top to bottom. It's pretty apparent Leafs didn't have much of a bottom, and then got rid of two of the guys who kind of fit that role.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Of all the Canadian teams, Toronto had the least 10 goal scorers. Less than Ottawa, actually.
No one ever questioned the top 6 of Toronto, I think most people would agree it's among the top 10 of the league, the question was top to bottom. It's pretty apparent Leafs didn't have much of a bottom, and then got rid of two of the guys who kind of fit that role.

Any reason to cut off at 10 goals. Is the difference between 9 and 10 actually 20 goals or something?

Because the leafs had like everybody in their bottom 6 with around 8-9 goals.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
It'll be fun with Toronto and Montreal fans actually watching some Western Conference games this season; maybe it'll add to bit more education on this forum that seems to be lacking.
Nah we still want your whole team for Danault + Poehling and a 1st.

Reactions: HabsQC

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
Fans in eastern Canada who have to go to work in the morning are about to discover why time zone based divisions are a thing. When the Wild were in the Northwest it was awful, there were so many games that ended late. People were constantly going into work on five hours sleep or missing the ends of games.

I'm hoping the Wild don't get stuck in the Pacific this season. That would be ridiculous.

No matter what, in a 4 division x 8 teams format with all the Canadian teams together, 2 Central teams will have to be in the Pacific. Minnesota is a likely choice because of proximity. I kind of want them to blend the divisions a little more to make it less of a burden on just 2 teams though, or even something as simple as having the 2 Central teams be Minnesota and Chicago, rather than Dallas, so the 2 Central teams are ones much closer geographically to each other than Minnesota and Dallas are...

What I would like them to do:

Canadian (VAN/CGY/EDM/WPG/TOR/OTT/MTL)
Pacific (SJ/LA/ANA/VGK/ARZ/COL/MIN/CHI)
Central (DAL/STL/NSH/DET/CBJ/CAR/TB/FLA)
East (BOS/BUF/NJ/NYI/NYR/PHI/PIT/WSH)

Spreads the big markets better too, under unique circumstances (LA/CHI in one division, TOR/MTL in one division, DET on their own, and NYR/BOS/PHI in the last)

What they will probably actually do:

Canadian (VAN/CGY/EDM/WPG/TOR/OTT/MTL)
Pacific (SJ/LA/ANA/VGK/ARZ/COL/DAL/STL)
Central (MIN/CHI/DET/BOS/BUF/NSH/TB/FLA)
Metropolitan (CAR/CBJ/NJ/NYI/NYR/PHI/PIT/WSH

No changes to the Metro, because it's the path of least resistance... :help:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Any reason to cut off at 10 goals. Is the difference between 9 and 10 actually 20 goals or something?

Because the leafs had like everybody in their bottom 6 with around 8-9 goals.

Just an arbitrary number, but an important milestone.
The point was, if Toronto has the deepest group shouldn't they have the plethora of wealth across their roster?

Like I said, no one's questioning that their top two centres, their top two wingers are among the elite in the NHL to various degrees. The reality of having a 2013 all-star roster, Alex Kerfoot and Jimmy Vesey rounding out your bottom 6... isn't really like, elite.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
reddit.png

Probably something like this...it would be absolutely horrific for every single team in that eastern division, all the other teams it seems to be good/neutral for them

The Eastern is hard, but is it harder than the Metro already was? 6/8 of the teams are the same, and I have Carolina on top of the Metro and Columbus close behind, better than Buffalo+Boston who you have them being replaced with.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Having 4 US divisions would.make so much more sense. Have the 5 division winners in a round robin tourney a la Mem Cup. 2020 has just been that kinda year, why not have fun with it.

HldMyBeer

May 15, 2019
if you want fun, and its only for 1 year, why not just put team names in a hat and randomize it, have all games start at 5-6 pm pacific, or 8-9 eastern

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
No that's horrific for Buffalo, you got , Boston, Pittsburgh, Washington both New york team Philadelphia and New Jersey

that is argualby tougher than what the Atlantic was they probably finish higher than NJ that's it.

Not just Buffalo. Every single team in that division has to deal with the jump up in competition

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
You must be quite young.

The previous schedule matrix in the NHL had exactly this:
5 team divisions:
6 games against division = 24
4 games against conference = 40
1 game inter-conference =18
3 other games = 3

Very similar to my suggestion here.

Or, current schedule matrix:
Pacific teams:
2 games inter-conference = 32
3 games against Central Division = 21
4 games against Pacific Division = 28
PLUS 1 extra game.

Again, it's similar.

And, in this case, we are talking about a 1 year only arrangement.

I am quite young, you got me there, I'm a couple years shy of 60.

I get what you're saying now. The explanation wasn't initially clear to me.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not just Buffalo. Every single team in that division has to deal with the jump up in competition

Pittsburgh, Washington, Philadelphia, NJ and both New York teams have been in the same division for years no adjustment needed for them Boston and Buffalo have to dwal with the step up in competition.

Boston should be able to do it because they are solid team.

Buffalo is not and hasn't been for nearly a decade.

Buffalo is in trouble

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad