Which teams suck at drafting?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Some of you are seriously overrating drafting and therefore underrating the player development path within the system. Sure it's impossible to differentiate the two between each other, but you can't say that some franchises are better at amateur drafting by just looking at how their draftees are producing at the NHL level. Some teams such as The Bolts have been excellent in the development of certain later round picks. Who's to say that players like Point, Palat etc. would have had the same success had they been drafted by Oilers or Canadiens for instance.

One of the better examples I can immediately think of is the Stars organization.

People keep referring to Jack Campbell as trash and a bust pick because he had no success at any level.

He gets traded to the Kings, and while he's not even close to a starter, he held his own as Quick's backup.

When was the last time the Stars had a homegrown starting NHL goalie?

Keep in mind I'm not trying to bash the Stars, but just trying to reingorce the developmental argument.

EdzosCrayon

Apr 4, 2013
Pretty sure the Panthers and Blackhawks have had some really bad drafts. Also, Nashville have had many duds taken in the 1st Round, especially any goaltender they have taken other than Rinne and Saros don’t end up going anywhere. Upshall, Finley, Pickard, Wilson, Blum, Parent, Franson to name a few off the top of my head.

I'd say the Hawks have actually been pretty decent since Bowman came in. Getting guys like Saad, Shaw, Danault, Teravainen, DeBrincat, Schmaltz, Hartman, and more recent picks that are looking solid like Jokiharju, Mitchell, and Sikura, is pretty good in my book...especially considering the highest they've picked since 2010 is 18th. The only first rounder that's been a dud so far is McNeill.

But like Teemu said, if you go back prior to 2010 they took some pretty notable busts with high picks. Cam Barker at 3, Kyle Beach at 11, Jack Skille at 7...ouch.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
I'd say the Hawks have actually been pretty decent since Bowman came in. Getting guys like Saad, Shaw, Danault, Teravainen, DeBrincat, Schmaltz, Hartman, and more recent picks that are looking solid like Jokiharju, Mitchell, and Sikura, is pretty good in my book...especially considering the highest they've picked since 2010 is 18th. The only first rounder that's been a dud so far is McNeill.

But like Teemu said, if you go back prior to 2010 they took some pretty notable busts with high picks. Cam Barker at 3, Kyle Beach at 11, Jack Skille at 7...ouch.
Oh yeah that’s what I ment. Other than McNiell he’s been solid at drafting.

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
The players goes to Leafs ?? Dmen's in draft !!?? Then Maple Leafs trade William Nylander to Canadiens and get back Weber as new Salming in team bulding !!??

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
NYR are only bad at drafting in the 1st round, but hoo boy are they bad in the 1st which has been well-documented. Jury obviously still out on the most recent couple of 1st rounders, but they seem promising. Kreider and Miller are the only 2 that really jump out at me as being good (or at least not awful) picks. Skjei is another that has looked pretty good at times in the NHL. M. Staal has had a good career as well, injuries aside. But just about every other 1st they've had over the last ~20 years, they've wasted on some off-the-board pick. MDZ is on the lower cusp of decent - at least he's carved out a career in the league for himself. Outside of the 1st they've done pretty well.

To be fair, it's hard to draft well in the first round if you don't get to draft in the first round.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Off the top of my head Vancouver and Montreal stand out.

Currently we've been drafting pretty well with players like Boeser, Horvat, Tryamkin, McCann, etc., so that makes us not the best example to use. Especially with promising prospects like Pettersson, Demko, Gaudette, etc. They have blown the Virtanen pick and potentially the Juolevi pick though.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I mean, really, is there any other answer other than Edmonton? 6 top 5 picks in 7 years and they have still only made the playoffs once? No matter how you cut it, that's got some stank alllll over it

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018
Currently we've been drafting pretty well with players like Boeser, Horvat, Tryamkin, McCann, etc., so that makes us not the best example to use. Especially with promising prospects like Pettersson, Demko, Gaudette, etc. They have blown the Virtanen pick and potentially the Juolevi pick though.
That’s mainly the picks I thought of. Top 5 picks should be cant misses. Then you have guys like Schroeder , guance etc

Last edited:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
EDM without a doubt. When you think about all the high 1st round picks, what happened with the high 2nd and 3rd picks? Good teams are built around those picks.Look at all the really good guys who were drafted in later rounds.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
If you have to go back 20 years to find bad picks...

You have to go back 27 years to find a great one. There's some bad luck in there, but Kovalev is really the last star player the Rangers have drafted out of the first round, and he's been retired for 6 years.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
You have to go back 27 years to find a great one. There's some bad luck in there, but Kovalev is really the last star player the Rangers have drafted out of the first round, and he's been retired for 6 years.
”Some” bad luck. One literally died.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
for the Oilers, a lot is hinging on Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, and Bear right now. If these are just middling players then our draft record for this era is awful and second to none.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad