Which teams suck at drafting?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The Oilers, though both departments have improved since Chiarelli and Keith Gretzky took over.

The Oilers have never been a bad 1st round team since they fired Fraser. It's rounds 2-7 that they are probably one of the worst drafting teams in the league. They've always had a weird obsession with coke machines, Oil Kings and BCHL players.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
The Rangers have been awful at it for a decade.

All time the Blues are probably up there. Was terrible basically until 2008.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
A spreadsheet that blindly drafted the CHL player with the highest available PPG drafted over 2x better than the Canucks scouting staff over the course of a decade.

Scouts try to look into things to much such as a players character, work ethic, genetics etc when usually it's just something as simple as who has the better ppg or nhle.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Scouts try to look into things to much such as a players character, work ethic, genetics etc when usually it's just something as simple as who has the better ppg or nhle.

I honestly can't think of another job where you get paid millions to get outperformed by something a highschool student could out together.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I honestly can't think of another job where you get paid millions to get outperformed by something a highschool student could out together.

It's like teams passing on Barzal because he was to cocky in interviews and had a few injures as a teenager but his numbers put him near the top of the draft class behind Mcdavid, Eichel and Marner.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Um no they're not and no they haven't been.
They just literally made the Calder Cup Finals thanks to Veterans like
Curtis McKenzie (27)
Justin Dowling (27)
Travis Morin (34)
Bryan Flynn (29)
Brett Regner (29)
Mike McKenna (35)

in fact the only people under 25 that had any sort of impact are
Gavin Bayreuther
Roope Hintz

If you go back to the year they won it (12-14) it was more of the same
Travis Morin
Mike Hedden
Chris Mueller
Christopher Nilstorp
Curtis McKenzie
Derek Meech

All Carried the team, but at least they had Ritchie and Nemeth and a few other minor impact NHL potential to chip in

Mckenzie, 22
Ritchie, 20
Dowling, 22
Ranford, 21
Glennie, 22
Stransky, 20
Oleksiak, 20
Jokipakaka, 22
Nemeth, 21
Faksa, 19

That 13-14 Texas team was loaded with young talent and was a great team with tons of depth. Mueller, Nilstorp, and Meech didn't carry anything.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I meant to edit my Pittsburgh criticism post to add that, to be fair, Detroit has sucked at drafting defenders over the last 20 years also.

Excluding Kronwall, the top three defenders they've drafted over that time have been Jonathan Ericsson, Kyle Quincey, and Brendan Smith. :help:

Though FWIW I'm not including Jiri Fischer, who probably would've been even better than Kronwall if his career hadn't unfortunately ended at 25.

They haven't been world burning at drafting centers. Larkin is the best center they've drafted since Z. And he's no Z.

Reactions: Sentinel

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
They haven't been world burning at drafting centers. Larkin is the best center they've drafted since Z. And he's no Z.

Larkin is turning into a very solid two way center in his own right. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he becomes a Zetterberg caliber center.

... Is it a guarantee? Absolutely not. But he's developing very well.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Larkin is turning into a very solid two way center in his own right. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he becomes a Zetterberg caliber center.

... Is it a guarantee? Absolutely not. But he's developing very well.

I don't think it's even very likely. I think he's at where he's going to peak. Remember Z was good for 30+ goals and 80+ and was ppg or higher for many seasons in his prime. Larkin looks like a good-great 2nd line center, but him being ppg and good for 30+ goals seasons is a huge stretch.

Reactions: Sentinel

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Mckenzie, 22- How's that NHL Career turned out
Ritchie, 20 Injured
Dowling, 22 - Injured but has gone on to have a marvelous NHL career as well
Ranford, 21- Also a Marvelous NHL Career
Glennie, 22
Stransky, 20 Non Factor
Oleksiak, 20
Jokipakaka, 22
Nemeth, 21

Faksa, 19

That 13-14 Texas team was loaded with young talent and was a great team with tons of depth. Mueller, Nilstorp, and Meech didn't carry anything.
LMAO
None of the players you listed had any meaningful impact on the cup run outside of McKenzie.
Faksa i would give you, he did play in every game, of course he was a non-factor and could have been swapped for anyone during that run and they still win.
but sure they had tons of "young talent" after all even though 90% of the team amounted to career AHLers they at least were young.
Jokipakka went to the KHL
Glennie is out of hockey
Stransky, KHL (better # than guryanov though, not that it means much)
Ranford, AHL scrub still
Dowling, AHL scrub still

The only 2 names you've got are Oleksiak and Nemeth, and while they were solid contributors both reg season and playoffs for texas that year and have gone on to have success at the NHL level.
Fortunus, Meech and Gaunce were taking the tougher assignments.
So as stated, that team, much like this past years team, were carried by Veterans.
You take away any one of the names you mentioned, save maybe McKenzie, that team still wins, Take away Morin, or Nilstorp and they don't

Morin, Mueller Nilstorp and Meech absolutely did carry that team.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Go back 5-10 years ago and look at all the Calder Cup winning teams, the teams aren't loaded with Benn's, Seguin's, Crosby's, McDavid's, etc.

That was a good young team of home grown drafted and developed talent. Just because they never took the next step doesn't mean that point doesn't hold value.

Nilstorp was very shaky during the playoff run but luckily the D was STACKED so he didn't face much quality opportunities.

Mueller didnt carry anything.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Habs are atrocious at both drafting and developing.

You might be on to something with your second point, especially in Bergevin era, but the Habs have been solid in the draft for the last number of years. Hell, their 2007 draft alone puts them ahead of quite a few teams. Their biggest weakness has been finding centers in the draft. The years they finished with a high pick have also been years that center talent was weak. They have been excellent in drafting defence and goalies.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
teams like TBL, WPG and WSH get a lot of praise for their drafting. Which teams are crap at scouting and drafting?

NY Islanders, likely:

New York Islanders Garth Snow Five Biggest Blunders

"2010 to 2014 NHL Entry Draft Picks
For four out of five seasons after drafting John Tavares first overall in 2009, the New York Islanders had a pick in the top five of the NHL Entry Draft. By 2018 not a single one is on the roster.

In 2010 the Islanders selected Nino Niederreiter fourth overall. Within a few years, the Swiss player had enough with the Islanders and requested a trade. It’s hard to blame him. Nino was either buried in the AHL or playing on the fourth line. The Isles would get Cal Clutterbuck and a pick for what would be a 57 point player for the Wild.

In 2011 the Isles picked fifth and took Ryan Strome. Strome would have a 50 point season with the Isles but then quickly fall off. Eventually, the Islanders were able to make a deal with the Oilers to acquire Jordan Eberle for Strome. They got lucky. Three years out from acquiring Tavares the Islanders were still picking in the top five. In 2012 they took defenseman Griffin Reinhart. Reinhart still hasn’t made the NHL and is with his third team, the Vegas Golden Knights. At least the Isles were able to get Barzal and Beauvillier. But the point here is that the picks didn’t work out.

Skip 2013 where the Isles take Ryan Pulock at number 15, and in 2014 the New York Islanders are back in the top five. This time they take Michael Dal Colle with the fifth overall pick. Dal Colle was a fantastic scorer in junior, but he just hasn’t put it together to make the NHL."

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Everyone else sit down. The Rangers are heading up to the podium to take this trophy. They never get good position, they always trade away their high picks, and almost never pick NHL talent. When they do it's like a blind squirrel finding an acorn. Last season was light years better than normal, and hopefully this year they do well.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
teams like TBL, WPG and WSH get a lot of praise for their drafting. Which teams are crap at scouting and drafting?

Vegas is awful. They haven't had a single draft pick make it to an NHL game in their entire history.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017

The end of the Lou/Conte era saw them lose their magic touch. Up until 2014 we were on a horrible drafting run.

15-16-17 has been better. Though obviously way too early too tell with some of these guys. Bratt was a nice find. Hischier over Patrick was the right move. Michael McLeod ready to step in and be an impact player

Just need to see something from Boqvist and have Zacha take a step forward.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
He's not wrong though... I mean maybe the Jets and Sens have better luck but Leafs, Habs, Oilers, Flames, Canucks have not been good. Just look at the list of failures on the Leafs (outside the top-10) back to 2001...

Toronto Maple Leafs Draft History at hockeydb.com
Dermott
Johnsson
Brown
Hayes
Gunnarsson
Tlusty
Kulemin
Reimer
Rask
Stralman
Komarov
Stalberg
Mitchell
Steen
Stajan
White
Coliacovo
Wellwood

All picks after the top ten that had a pretty good stint in the league. Plus guys like Dermott, and Johnsson who are basically locks to be playing full time next year's.

Considering the low percentage of actually hitting on a replacement level player after the top ten, I'd say that's about middle of the pack.

Problem with the Leafs in the past hasn't been drafting, it's been keeping the players they drafted.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Dermott
Johnsson
Brown
Hayes
Gunnarsson
Tlusty
Kulemin
Reimer
Rask
Stralman
Komarov
Stalberg
Mitchell
Steen
Stajan
White
Coliacovo
Wellwood

All picks after the top ten that had a pretty good stint in the league. Plus guys like Dermott, and Johnsson who are basically locks to be playing full time next year's.

Considering the low percentage of actually hitting on a replacement level player after the top ten, I'd say that's about middle of the pack.

Problem with the Leafs in the past hasn't been drafting, it's been keeping the players they drafted.

Meh... take any 17 years of a team (I went back to 2001 also) like the Oilers and you have hits and misses outside of the top-10

Ales Hemsky
Devan Dubnyk
Jordan Eberle
Jeff Petry
Andrew Cogliano
Jarret Stoll
Oscar Klefbom
Riley Nash
Tobias Rieder
Matt Greene
Kyle Brodziak
Jussi Markkanen
Anton Slepyshev
Jujhar Khaira
Erik Gustafsson (CHI D)
Brandon Davidson
Tyler Pitlick
Anton Lander
Taylor Chorney
Chris VandeVelde
Colin McDonald
Zack Stortini

How many HOF or elite types there? Rask won a Vezina. Hemsky wong a Lady Byng and Dubynk was nominated for a Vezina. Rask/Stoll/Greene have SC rings.

dKs89

Oct 22, 2016
The historical revisionism that happens in draft threads is thoroughly entertaining. HOW could you POSSIBLY take "Unproven prospect" over "Unproven prospect" Hindsight is real.

Aside from that, Gillis era Canucks were absolutely terrible, unfortunately.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
The historical revisionism that happens in draft threads is thoroughly entertaining. HOW could you POSSIBLY take "Unproven prospect" over "Unproven prospect" Hindsight is real.

Aside from that, Gillis era Canucks were absolutely terrible, unfortunately.

Also people forgot success is NOT 100% drafting because there is also development. Oilers did not have their own AHL farm team in the early-mid 2000s. They shared with Pitts and others. Terrible idea and prospects suffered.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Meh... take any 17 years of a team (I went back to 2001 also) like the Oilers and you have hits and misses outside of the top-10

Ales Hemsky
Devan Dubnyk
Jordan Eberle
Jeff Petry
Andrew Cogliano
Jarret Stoll
Oscar Klefbom
Riley Nash
Tobias Rieder
Matt Greene
Kyle Brodziak
Jussi Markkanen
Anton Slepyshev
Jujhar Khaira
Erik Gustafsson (CHI D)
Brandon Davidson
Tyler Pitlick
Anton Lander
Taylor Chorney
Chris VandeVelde
Colin McDonald
Zack Stortini

How many HOF or elite types there? Rask won a Vezina. Hemsky wong a Lady Byng and Dubynk was nominated for a Vezina. Rask/Stoll/Greene have SC rings.

You have unrealistic expectations if you're expecting elite or HOF type players to come from these rounds. Grabbing serviceable players (atleast in the 2nd round +) should be seen as a positive.

For the Leafs they drafted Rask, who like you said has a Vezina and years of being a 1G, Steen who has been a great player, Stralman who is a top defender on a contender, and Stajan with 1000+ games -- the rest of the guys had 300+ games, except for 3 young ones. Probably a middle of the pack team (I'm leaning a little under) but not the worst.

Looking through some draft lists quickly the Stars, Oilers, Flames, Penguins, Coyotes, and Islanders are worse using the same parameters.

I also disagree about the Habs, I don't think they deserve to be anywhere near a "bad drafting teams" list.

Last edited:

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
NJ, Zacha was one of the worst picks I saw in my life with Provorov, Werenski, Ratanen and Barzel on the board. It gave me a good laugh on draft day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->