Which team matchup would cause the most chaos on HFBoards?

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Always root for the following matchups

Pens/Flyers
Pens/Caps
Bruins/Leafs
Bruins/Habs
Rangers/Isles

Sharks/Kings
Edmonton/Calgary
Fratellis/Winged Wheels
Blues/Hawks

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This is interesting to me, because I get the "southern market vs Canadian market" thing, but my initial thought was that the Coyotes and Panthers are probably the two smallest fan-bases on HF. The California teams all have the same number of fans as basically any team that isn't one of the absolute biggest markets. So do the Stars. The Lightning and Hurricanes may not be *quite* there, but they're definitely a sizable group. Same goes for Columbus, I guess. We all know that in the time since we thought they'd move, the Predators have definitely *made it* (they were always a better market than Canadians thought, imho, but now that they're perennial contenders, they've gone nuts), and even Vegas has a big group now, and probably a decent handful of people who had fun with their inaugural season and have them as a secondary team or a western time zone viewing option. St. Louis is uhh southern-ish? Missouri feels southern, but St. Louis feels midwestern? Someone can fill me in, but they don't feel the same just because they've had a team forever and are probably the best organization that's never felt particularly close to a Cup (aside from maybe for a bit in the early 2000s, who get slept on, and are probably more of a "**** happens" thing a la Capitals/Sharks than actually a step below the Avalanche/Red Wings/Stars).

It's just the Panthers and Coyotes who I still only see a fan or two per day and I'm like "oh, yeah, those guys have fans, people care about them," but I don't think that's market specific. I think we all should've learned from Nashville, Columbus, and Carolina, or even just remembering the low points in attendance/ownership for the Sabres, Penguins, and Senators, who are all in fine markets but went through 4-5 year periods where we joked about them not having fans (don't get mad at me Sabres/Pens fans, it was 15 years ago). We harp on poor attendance for southern markets but at this point, everyone does fine as long as they aren't terrible and boring. If the Coyotes or Panthers made the playoffs (I am pretty high on both teams, actually), we'd probably see a lot more activity from them. I don't care about "growing the game" but I do roll my eyes at Canadian elitism (before you yell at me, I'm a Leaf fan who has spent maybe ten nights of my life outside of Toronto, and eight of them were in Ottawa, the other two were in Brooklyn), and I'd be interested to see what happens when those fanbases start logging on again, for sure.
I am going to call bullshit on your comments about the Sabres. Two things nearly killed the team: the first was the horrible economy in Western NY to where it was literally one of the most economically depressed places in the entire country. The number of fans we have is proven by tv ratings and the fact that a lot of us show up at road games. When the team collapsed people who were struggling just to get by couldn't justify spending tons of money for bad hockey. Second (and more important) the Rigas family who owned the team turned out to be criminals on an Enron scale and they dragged the team into insolvency when their day of reckoning came. The team literally came as close as any NHL team of the modern era has come to folding. Since then the economy has somewhat improved and up until this season there was a season ticket waiting list, and if that fact doesn't tell you about the level of fan support the Sabres have then nothing will.

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
I am going to call bull**** on your comments about the Sabres. Two things nearly killed the team: the first was the horrible economy in Western NY to where it was literally one of the most economically depressed places in the entire country. The number of fans we have is proven by tv ratings and the fact that a lot of us show up at road games. When the team collapsed people who were struggling just to get by couldn't justify spending tons of money for bad hockey. Second (and more important) the Rigas family who owned the team turned out to be criminals on an Enron scale and they dragged the team into insolvency when their day of reckoning came. The team literally came as close as any NHL team of the modern era has come to folding. Since then the economy has somewhat improved and up until this season there was a season ticket waiting list, and if that fact doesn't tell you about the level of fan support the Sabres have then nothing will.

Right, but in 2003, the Sabres arena was empty and the internet all laughed about them not having fans, and my entire point was that there aren't really markets that can't work and that empty arenas are mostly due to the teams sucking. The fact that the team sucked AND there was a recession doesn't really change my point. Which was... fans had good reasons not to go. Also, again, we are not actually disagreeing, but uh, I'm a Leaf fan, so "season ticket waiting list even though they suck" is the least impressive thing I've ever heard. The Leafs have sucked since before the Sabres existed, and you coulda died on their season ticket waiting list.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Right, but in 2003, the Sabres arena was empty and the internet all laughed about them not having fans, and my entire point was that there aren't really markets that can't work and that empty arenas are mostly due to the teams sucking. The fact that the team sucked AND there was a recession doesn't really change my point. Which was... fans had good reasons not to go. Also, again, we are not actually disagreeing, but uh, I'm a Leaf fan, so "season ticket waiting list even though they suck" is the least impressive thing I've ever heard. The Leafs have sucked since before the Sabres existed, and you coulda died on their season ticket waiting list.
The Leafs play in one of the biggest cities in North America and the undisputed financial capital of Canada. This type of thing is why MSG is always full no matter how bad the Rangers or Knicks are. A team doing that in a market where the only thriving industry is health care for people in Canada who don't want to wait for surgeries/treatment is remarkable. And also the situation in 2003 had a lot to do with the owners literally being among the biggest financial criminals in American history.

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
The Leafs play in one of the biggest cities in North America and the undisputed financial capital of Canada. This type of thing is why MSG is always full no matter how bad the Rangers or Knicks are. A team doing that in a market where the only thriving industry is health care for people in Canada who don't want to wait for surgeries/treatment is remarkable. And also the situation in 2003 had a lot to do with the owners literally being among the biggest financial criminals in American history.

you. are. not. disagreeing. with. me.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
If they both continue to be competitive the Habs Bruins games

The answer is Habs Bruins overall until proven otherwise.

Maybe Oilers Leafs in a SCF could top it but the Montreal/Boston series have proven out here over the years. Trust me, we get the reports.

Reactions: Coffey

easton117

Nov 11, 2017

Maybe Oilers Leafs in a SCF could top it but the Montreal/Boston series have proven out here over the years. Trust me, we get the reports.
Lol ya I’d imagine. Spirited those fan bases

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV

Hahaha well shit. Reports don’t lie.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
This is interesting to me, because I get the "southern market vs Canadian market" thing, but my initial thought was that the Coyotes and Panthers are probably the two smallest fan-bases on HF. The California teams all have the same number of fans as basically any team that isn't one of the absolute biggest markets. So do the Stars. The Lightning and Hurricanes may not be *quite* there, but they're definitely a sizable group. Same goes for Columbus, I guess. We all know that in the time since we thought they'd move, the Predators have definitely *made it* (they were always a better market than Canadians thought, imho, but now that they're perennial contenders, they've gone nuts), and even Vegas has a big group now, and probably a decent handful of people who had fun with their inaugural season and have them as a secondary team or a western time zone viewing option. St. Louis is uhh southern-ish? Missouri feels southern, but St. Louis feels midwestern? Someone can fill me in, but they don't feel the same just because they've had a team forever and are probably the best organization that's never felt particularly close to a Cup (aside from maybe for a bit in the early 2000s, who get slept on, and are probably more of a "**** happens" thing a la Capitals/Sharks than actually a step below the Avalanche/Red Wings/Stars).

It's just the Panthers and Coyotes who I still only see a fan or two per day and I'm like "oh, yeah, those guys have fans, people care about them," but I don't think that's market specific. I think we all should've learned from Nashville, Columbus, and Carolina, or even just remembering the low points in attendance/ownership for the Sabres, Penguins, and Senators, who are all in fine markets but went through 4-5 year periods where we joked about them not having fans (don't get mad at me Sabres/Pens fans, it was 15 years ago). We harp on poor attendance for southern markets but at this point, everyone does fine as long as they aren't terrible and boring. If the Coyotes or Panthers made the playoffs (I am pretty high on both teams, actually), we'd probably see a lot more activity from them. I don't care about "growing the game" but I do roll my eyes at Canadian elitism (before you yell at me, I'm a Leaf fan who has spent maybe ten nights of my life outside of Toronto, and eight of them were in Ottawa, the other two were in Brooklyn), and I'd be interested to see what happens when those fanbases start logging on again, for sure.

Most team boards are rather slow going, including the Preds, Blue Jackets and Golden Knights, I really see no difference amongst most. Many might not even reach 10 pages in a GDT, let alone parts 2 or 3. Losing certainly didnt change the large amount of traffic on some team boards, so I cant see winning bringing out more fans for those who have little.

As far as elitism goes, too f***ing bad I guess. If this were any other sports forum the shoe would be on the other foot. Go visit an NBA forum as see how Raptors fans are treated before you talk about how rough a ride some NHL fanbases in the south get it.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Win or lose, for either team, the city of Vancouver is still getting burnt down.

nope we learned from our mistake

win or lose toronto getting pillaged and torched Dallas Stars style

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Why do so many people say Edmonton ? Outside of McDavid they are bland and this town has super flakey fans

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
If HF is anything to go by, they're one of the more delusional and toxic fanbases in the league. Doesn't take long for them to form rivalries with other teams on this board.

I've lived in Edmonton for close to 13 years, they are some major bandwagon fans

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
It’s funny but I find most, actually just about every fanbase on this site pretty much exactly the same.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Canes over Jets in a sweep for the SCF along with the Canes somehow playing Detroit, New York, and Ottawa in the playoffs on their way to the cup. Hfboards crashes due to constant comments going into the finals about "how they haven't played a real team yet".

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
Most team boards are rather slow going, including the Preds, Blue Jackets and Golden Knights, I really see no difference amongst most. Many might not even reach 10 pages in a GDT, let alone parts 2 or 3. Losing certainly didnt change the large amount of traffic on some team boards, so I cant see winning bringing out more fans for those who have little.

As far as elitism goes, too ****ing bad I guess. If this were any other sports forum the shoe would be on the other foot. Go visit an NBA forum as see how Raptors fans are treated before you talk about how rough a ride some NHL fanbases in the south get it.

I don't really care about people getting a "rough ride" or whatever, "oh no someone was mean Online!!" I think it makes Canadians insufferable and stupid. It's that shit that invites every "hmmm is Auston Matthews actually injury prone and done??" or "will William Nylander end up getting traded for Erik Gudbranson??" thread. Leaf fans invite their own trolling.

Ten pages on a GDT isn't really bad, and you're not taking into account that most people on HF have been here forever because message boards don't exist in the same way they did before those fanbases expanded, and most people are on Twitter or Reddit. There's still an active presence, and the large thing here is that other fanbases still participate at a large rate in discussions of the league as a whole (which speaks to the idea that Toronto isn't a hockey town, it's a Leafs town).

Raptor fans don't really get it bad on NBA forums. When they do, it's mostly because Raptor fans, which I count myself as one of (and Blue Jays fans, which I don't), are weird and paranoid and think the league is out to get them because they're in Canada, despite the fact that... the league chose to put a team in Canada.

If you don't think winning matters, I don't know what to tell you. The Leafs sell out because Leaf tickets have a weird cache in this weird dumbass city. The games sell out, the boards are full, but nobody who isn't Extremely Online is talking about the Leafs when they suck, except when they've just fired their latest GM and started this week's rebuild. It's also just not remotely the same. When things got really bad right before Brian Burke got hired, Leaf fans retreated into talking endlessly about 1993 and Wendel Clark and Doug Gilmour. We're talking about markets in much, much smaller cities where they took time to get off the ground, because they had *never* had success. When the Coyotes lost ten straight or whatever it was to start the season last year, what are the people of Arizona going to sit around talking about? Shane Doan? Teppo Numinen? That week Jeremy Roenick played there?

Finally, I can not believe that you didn't just start a new account rather than every post showing your start day as May 13, 2013.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad